Entertainment

TIFF 2017 (Toronto International Film Festival)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2019 9:33 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8017 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

TIFF 2017 (Toronto International Film Festival)

Anyone buy ticket packs yet?
Any flicks in particular people are interested in seeing this year?

https://www.tiff.net/tiff/

Full schedule is up on the 22nd
56 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
TIFF announced they would feature some homegrown talent with 26 Canadian films to be screened this year. Dana Levenson reports.

Aug 14, 2010
610 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
I always wait to buy single tickets. I still gotta go through the list of movies that are screening and make my selections. Looking forward to Mother! and Blade Runner 2049 though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5184 posts
3475 upvotes
emanon86 wrote: I always wait to buy single tickets. I still gotta go through the list of movies that are screening and make my selections. Looking forward to Mother! and Blade Runner 2049 though.
If they actually confirm "Blade Runner 2049", I'll be there for sure along with an IMAX screening of "North of Superior" at the Cinesphere where this film was first shown.

http://www.tiff.net/tiff/north-of-super ... f-superior
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12725 posts
3165 upvotes
Mississauga
emanon86 wrote: I always wait to buy single tickets. I still gotta go through the list of movies that are screening and make my selections. Looking forward to Mother! and Blade Runner 2049 though.
Mother! comes out in regular theatres on Sept 15, so there's not much incentive to see it at TIFF, unless you really want to see Jennifer Lawrence.

Looking at the list of movies, there are only a handful that interest me this year, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Has their Rush ticket pricing changed? Their website says $20 for regular rush, $40 for premium rush, and $48 for gala rush. I thought it was $20 for all screenings, although I can't remember for sure. At any rate, $40-48 to watch a movie is ridiculous, especially in venues like Roy Thompson Hall that are not ideally suited to watching movies, and especially to watch a movie that will be in regular theatres a few weeks later.
Aug 14, 2010
610 posts
384 upvotes
Toronto
Talamasca wrote: Mother! comes out in regular theatres on Sept 15, so there's not much incentive to see it at TIFF, unless you really want to see Jennifer Lawrence.

Looking at the list of movies, there are only a handful that interest me this year, so I'm a bit disappointed.

Has their Rush ticket pricing changed? Their website says $20 for regular rush, $40 for premium rush, and $48 for gala rush. I thought it was $20 for all screenings, although I can't remember for sure. At any rate, $40-48 to watch a movie is ridiculous, especially in venues like Roy Thompson Hall that are not ideally suited to watching movies, and especially to watch a movie that will be in regular theatres a few weeks later.
Prices went up by quite a bit last year. I don't know about rush tickets but I saw Arrival, Snowden and Nocturnal Animals last year and they were $60 each. I only go to premieres. It's a fun experience, I have no problem paying those prices for TIFF.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2796 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto

Looks like John Who's Manhunt is screening at tiff this year. This one's a remake of the Japanese classic that starred the late Ken Takakura (Mr. Baseball).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5184 posts
3475 upvotes
Bummer! Looks like "Blade Runner 2049" is not part of the TIFF line up. We have to wait until October 6th like everybody else. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
TIFF announces final list of this year's films
The Toronto International Film Festival made its final announcement of films Tuesday. Entertainment City’s Teri Hart with the A-list stars and the most buzzed-about films coming to the festival.
FULL STORY: http://www.citynews.ca/2017/08/22/angel ... tend-tiff/

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8017 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
With this morning's announcement of the full schedule, I narrowed down my list to 26 movies (I'll be seeing 10 of those this year).

Does anyone recall that unofficial site that was created that helps people make a schedule based on movies?
I can't seem to find it.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12725 posts
3165 upvotes
Mississauga
newt_101 wrote: With this morning's announcement of the full schedule, I narrowed down my list to 26 movies (I'll be seeing 10 of those this year).

Does anyone recall that unofficial site that was created that helps people make a schedule based on movies?
I can't seem to find it.
TIFFr
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2010
5184 posts
3475 upvotes
The one day free screening (September 17th) of the IMAX film "North of Superior" is showing at 2pm, 3pm and 4pm at the Cinesphere in Ontario Place. Does anyone know if we can get these free tickets in advance? Or is it like the old days, first come first served lining up?

https://2017.tiffr.com/shows/north-of-superior
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2857 posts
256 upvotes
tinlun wrote:

Looks like John Who's Manhunt is screening at tiff this year. This one's a remake of the Japanese classic that starred the late Ken Takakura (Mr. Baseball).
Is John Woo going to be there?
I post, you decide.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2796 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
MasterXan wrote: Is John Woo going to be there?
I'm gonna assume he will be there. Would love to ask for his autograph to gift to Guillermo del Toro someday. I had a conversation with Guillermo over 5 years during a set visit and I remember Guillermo getting so excited over talking about The Killer. Though I did say to Guillermo that I think A Better Tomorrow is a better film.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3821 posts
2807 upvotes
toronto
tinlun wrote: I'm gonna assume he will be there. Would love to ask for his autograph to gift to Guillermo del Toro someday. I had a conversation with Guillermo over 5 years during a set visit and I remember Guillermo getting so excited over talking about The Killer. Though I did say to Guillermo that I think A Better Tomorrow is a better film.
john woo is not on the confirmed guest list.
Got that FIDO account!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8017 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tinlun wrote: I'm gonna assume he will be there. Would love to ask for his autograph to gift to Guillermo del Toro someday. I had a conversation with Guillermo over 5 years during a set visit and I remember Guillermo getting so excited over talking about The Killer. Though I did say to Guillermo that I think A Better Tomorrow is a better film.
It's the NA premiere, not World.
No real reason he'll be there for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2796 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: It's the NA premiere, not World.
No real reason he'll be there for sure.
I think this is the second international film festival premiering Manhunt with the first being in Venice. It's not even due out for theatrical release in China until February 2018.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8017 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
I bought a weekday daytime flex pack (made sense financially for $165 for 10 tickets), and today was my window to buy my tickets.

This is what I'm seeing this year:

Chappaquiddick
Unicorn Store
Downsizing
The Shape of Water
If You Saw His Heart
Racer and the Jailbird
Three Christs
Marrowbone
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9833 posts
1302 upvotes
GTA
Trying to buy tickets via members window right now online and took me 5+ minutes just to figure out how to get into the order line. When I was trying to go to a film page it wasn't coming up with a "get tickets" box except for the free Dunkirk screening and even then when I clicked on it nothing happened. I figured I had to login my account and then click "continue shopping". I am not in a "please wait your request is being processed" screen with no ETA. I don't even know if it is working...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)