Entertainment

TIFF 2017 (Toronto International Film Festival)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2017 11:04 pm
May 23, 2017
255 posts
68 upvotes
tinlun wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:26 am
I'm gonna assume he will be there. Would love to ask for his autograph to gift to Guillermo del Toro someday. I had a conversation with Guillermo over 5 years during a set visit and I remember Guillermo getting so excited over talking about The Killer. Though I did say to Guillermo that I think A Better Tomorrow is a better film.
john woo is not on the confirmed guest list.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5563 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
tinlun wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 11:26 am
I'm gonna assume he will be there. Would love to ask for his autograph to gift to Guillermo del Toro someday. I had a conversation with Guillermo over 5 years during a set visit and I remember Guillermo getting so excited over talking about The Killer. Though I did say to Guillermo that I think A Better Tomorrow is a better film.
It's the NA premiere, not World.
No real reason he'll be there for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1336 posts
87 upvotes
newt_101 wrote:
Aug 24th, 2017 4:13 pm
It's the NA premiere, not World.
No real reason he'll be there for sure.
I think this is the second international film festival premiering Manhunt with the first being in Venice. It's not even due out for theatrical release in China until February 2018.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5563 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
I bought a weekday daytime flex pack (made sense financially for $165 for 10 tickets), and today was my window to buy my tickets.

This is what I'm seeing this year:

Chappaquiddick
Unicorn Store
Downsizing
The Shape of Water
If You Saw His Heart
Racer and the Jailbird
Three Christs
Marrowbone
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8931 posts
730 upvotes
GTA
Trying to buy tickets via members window right now online and took me 5+ minutes just to figure out how to get into the order line. When I was trying to go to a film page it wasn't coming up with a "get tickets" box except for the free Dunkirk screening and even then when I clicked on it nothing happened. I figured I had to login my account and then click "continue shopping". I am not in a "please wait your request is being processed" screen with no ETA. I don't even know if it is working...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5563 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
YLSF wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 10:09 am
Trying to buy tickets via members window right now online and took me 5+ minutes just to figure out how to get into the order line. When I was trying to go to a film page it wasn't coming up with a "get tickets" box except for the free Dunkirk screening and even then when I clicked on it nothing happened. I figured I had to login my account and then click "continue shopping". I am not in a "please wait your request is being processed" screen with no ETA. I don't even know if it is working...
I think you can also purchase tix via phone?
Aug 14, 2010
367 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Well after a disastrous first 30mins on tiff.net, I was finally able to get through around 10:30am. Made my picks, went to check out and of course the webpage crashed. I clicked the back button and miraculously all my movies were still in my cart with 3 mins left, clicked checkout again and it processed. Phewffff!
I don't understand why tiff didn't allow members to buy tickets on ticketmaster.ca today. Last year was the best tiff ticket buying experience I've ever had. Within 5 mins I bought tickets to 6 premium movies on ticketmaster.

I bought my tiff membership late last night, only because members have early access to individual tickets this year.

Anyways, I got tickets to the following (all premiums/premieres):

Stronger @ Roy Thomson Hall
The Killing of a Sacred Deer @ Elgin Theatre
Mother! @ Princess Of Wales Theatre
Downsizing @ Elgin Theatre
Loving Pablo @ Princess Of Wales
Kings @ Roy Thomson Hall (for my mom)
Eric Clapton: Life In 12 Bars @ Bell Tiff LightBox (for my mom)
Breathe @ Roy Thomson Hall (for my mom)

Got everything I wanted except for Molly's Game. I'll try again on Monday morning, maybe they hold tickets back for the general public.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
5563 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
emanon86 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 1:31 pm
Stronger @ Roy Thomson Hall
The Killing of a Sacred Deer @ Elgin Theatre
Mother! @ Princess Of Wales Theatre
Downsizing @ Elgin Theatre
Loving Pablo @ Princess Of Wales
Kings @ Roy Thomson Hall (for my mom)
Eric Clapton: Life In 12 Bars @ Bell Tiff LightBox (for my mom)
Breathe @ Roy Thomson Hall (for my mom)

Got everything I wanted except for Molly's Game. I'll try again on Monday morning, maybe they hold tickets back for the general public.
Nice! Make sure you post some of your reviews for what you see.
Mother! looks mental (I think it gets its premiere in a couple of days) and I'm seeing Downsizing too which I heard is fun.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1193 posts
275 upvotes
Not a TIFF member simply because I find its membership way too expensive. However, I've seen plenty of movies at the TIFF Bell Lightbox year-round. The other day, I received a code from them to use on September 3, one day before sales are open to the public without membership. I really hope the site is easily accessible for the two free IMAX movies I want to see "Dunkirk" and "North of Superior" both showing at the Cinesphere this year.
Aug 14, 2010
367 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Mr_Fanta wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 5:43 pm
Not a TIFF member simply because I find its membership way too expensive. However, I've seen plenty of movies at the TIFF Bell Lightbox year-round. The other day, I received a code from them to use on September 3, one day before sales are open to the public without membership. I really hope the site is easily accessible for the two free IMAX movies I want to see "Dunkirk" and "North of Superior" both showing at the Cinesphere this year.
The site is not easily accessible, it's a complete disaster when buying tickets for tiff. A few FYI's; Dunkirk had no more tickets available shortly after 10:30 this morning. Not sure about North of Superior. Do they hold tickets back for the general public? perhaps but doubtful. Worth a try to look tomorrow morning though.
Tomorrow (for those that have a code) and Monday you can buy tickets on ticketmaster.ca
Hit refresh on these pages tomorrow at 10am
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/dunkirk-tor ... rcatid=645
https://www.ticketmaster.ca/search?tm_l ... f+Superior
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8931 posts
730 upvotes
GTA
In the end I didn't get anything via online system. It was pretty bad. I guess the reason why you couldn't go to TM directly was because there was no way for the TM site (Going direct to ticketmaster.com) to know you are a member? But, there is a TIFF ticketmaster site it was directing people to today so not sure why it couldn't handle the traffic better...

I was just confused by the process. I tried logging into my account directly and had that open and when I went at 10am to click to buy tickets it wasn't showing the festival films. And then, I went to the film pages directly and figured I would click on the "Get tickets" button (i.e. for Dunkirk) but nothing happened. I think my popup blocker was blocking a page asking me if I wanted to login to buy festival tickets during the members day.

So, I eventually went to incognito mode and the pop up came up, etc but by then it was past 10:20 and I couldn't get Dunkirk. I am hoping that a friend managed to get me an extra one at the box office itself today.

BTW, I found this useful link on Twitter when they answered someones question, and they aren't really publicizing much :

Availability of films but some are missing like Dunkirk and the lady gaga one - http://www.tiff.net/tiff/availability.html
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
1193 posts
275 upvotes
Sunday morning at 10am, I was not able to access free tickets for "Dunkirk". I was directed to a link which allowed me to get free tickets for "North of Superior" instead. Anyone here able to get free tickets for "Dunkirk" yet?
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8931 posts
730 upvotes
GTA
Tried again this morning and not able to get free tickets for Dunkirk. Luckily I think a friend who lined up at the Festival box office over night might have an extra ticket for Dunkirk. It doesn't look like they opened up any tickets today for it.

I wonder how many of those "Free" tickets (I think it only seats around 600 people) TIFF held back for sponsors/big donors/etc vs. general public. I feel really lucky that my friend is giving me one of her tickets!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6087 posts
908 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm looking for Don't Talk To Irene tickets (already sold out on Ticketmaster). if anyone wants to get rid of their ticket for this show, please pm me.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 14, 2010
367 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Well this morning confirms that they don't hold tickets back for the general public. Everything that was sold out Saturday, was still in fact sold out this morning at 10am. Buying a membership is the way to go now, especially if you want premium tickets.