• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2020 9:49 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
823 posts
459 upvotes
GTA

Tight space water shut off valve replacement

So with this new found time at home I went looking for interior projects around the house that I have been putting off.

I have a water shut off valve and it’s crazy tight and annoying for the two times a year that I operate it.

I was hoping to put a 1/4 handle valve in but as you can see, the space is super tight.

At the bottom is a steel stud and to the left is a wood stud and behind it is the pink styrofoam board insulation and above it is the T which feeds up to my kitchen sink.

What are my options?

1-leave it, deal with it and make the drywall hole bigger
2- shark bite a new valve in
3- trim the foam board and try to solder in a new valve
4- can I buy the inner parts to covert it to a 1/4 handle valve so I don’t need to solder???

I am hoping for option 4 but figured I would ask here first
Images
  • 6D0CE509-4D7E-4A58-9ED7-D844AD98087C.jpeg
  • DB583AB0-2144-4A35-AD24-AE57045B9CDD.jpeg
  • CA09C223-06CD-4C78-B280-161F522126DF.jpeg
17 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14044 posts
8468 upvotes
Toronto
I'd go option 1. But, in any event, you're going to have to make a bigger hole if you want to work on replacing that gated valve. AFAIK option 4 is impossible as the existing stem and gate will not work with a handle, it will need to be completely removed. I'm not a plumber so I could be completely wrong.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1112 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
I have the same issue and decided to leave as is
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1945 posts
216 upvotes
Mississauga
option 1

option 4 seems impossible as mentioned above
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4189 posts
3468 upvotes
Toronto
I would just cut out more of the drywall and foam insulation to make it easier to fit my hand and turn it. Still won't be easy as a 1/4 turn ball valve, but it will be slightly less annoying and it's only twice a year. Or instead of using your hand, use vise grips. Keep the foam insulation and put it back when done turning the valve.

For options #2 and #3, you'll need to desolder the old valve to remove it. For me, if I've already got my soldering equipment out and protected the stud and insulation from the flames to remove the old valve, then I might as well solder in a new one instead of using a SharkBite. Still, IMHO, not worth the effort to replace if it's otherwise working fine.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14771 posts
7707 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Consider option 5 - see if you can follow the pipe in both directions to see if you can find a better location to access it. If you can, open a new opening there, install a new ball valve, and leave the existing one where it is.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4009 posts
1171 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
put a proper access panel over that opening instead of a air return vent. they even make ones that you can paint to match the wall
Hi
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4916 posts
761 upvotes
Calgary
Option 1
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
823 posts
459 upvotes
GTA
Looks like option one, I’ll just make the hole bigger or see if my wife wants a little extra responsibility around the house.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6515 posts
2071 upvotes
GTA
Sounds like the valve is for outside outlet since its only used twice a year?....if so you could get a frost free outdoor faucet, Lowes carries one that's got a push connect so pretty easy install:
https://www.lowes.ca/product/water-shut ... lsrc=aw.ds

That's if you can get at the valve where it exits the house; if you can install one of those you can leave the original valve open and finish the wall. Do make sure the valve stem is angled down/out and so water isn't sitting in it after closed.
Seems like a decade since we played hockey OP!
May 13, 2007
165 posts
74 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
Zamboni wrote: [snip] ...if so you could get a frost free outdoor faucet, [snip]
[snip] if you can install one of those you can leave the original valve open and finish the wall. [snip]
A separate shutoff as exists is still required according to the OBC.
see this thread post for details
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3765 posts
2869 upvotes
Ottawa
Option 6 - move to a new place where there is a proper ball valve shut-off with good access or in an unfinished area where this problem doesn't exist Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6515 posts
2071 upvotes
GTA
tooluser wrote: A separate shutoff as exists is still required according to the OBC.
see this thread post for details
[snip] if you can install one of those you can leave the original valve open and finish the wall. [snip]