• Jul 4th, 2018 9:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 24, 2008
297 posts
234 upvotes
Mississauga

tight wheel nuts

Hi all, just wondering if this is normal. I recently changed to summer tires/rims and the shop gave me new wheel nuts for it, however most of the wheel nuts are hard to take off (not over tightened, it just wont spin freely using my hand, had to use the torque wrench to turn it until it fully come off or on). I have never experienced this issue before on all my previous cars and different wheel nuts that i used before (i was able to use my hand to turn the wheel nuts after loosen it a little bit). Is this normal?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4634 posts
4891 upvotes
GTA
Wheel nuts are supposed to be tight.

When you say "turn by hand" are you using some kind of tool?

You should not be using a torque wrench to loosen or install the wheel nuts. Only use the torque wrench for final tightening.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Do you see metal shavings in the threads? I'd be very concerned. They could've given you nuts with the wrong thread pitch and ruined your studs. There are different lug stud thread pitch depending on the automaker.

The nut should spin freely by hand until the seat touches the wheel mounting surface.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2008
1019 posts
192 upvotes
Thornhill
Check the threads to see if there is any damage or dirt etc on it. You might of gotten the wrong wheel nuts from the shop.
Signature
[OP]
May 24, 2008
297 posts
234 upvotes
Mississauga
er34er34 wrote: Do you see metal shavings in the threads? I'd be very concerned. They could've given you nuts with the wrong thread pitch and ruined your studs. There are different lug stud thread pitch depending on the automaker.

The nut should spin freely by hand until the seat touches the wheel mounting surface.
thank you, this is whats happening, most of the nuts do not spin freely by hand until the seat touches the mounting surface, I will check it out when i get home
Sep 7, 2007
339 posts
180 upvotes
Woodstock
Either the new nuts are the wrong thread (inch/metric) or else the studs have been stretched by over-torquing.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
17013 posts
12410 upvotes
Toronto
do you even lift bro?