Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU

Tiguan - wwyd?

So my gf massively **** up and waited too long to buy this white Tiguan that she had her eye on. I told her it would sell quickly but she dragged her feet due to reliability concerns (she’s only owned worry free Asian cars in the past).

So vehicle sells and she’s sad. It was def an I told you so moment.

There’s only ONE exact 2014 white Tiguan left in all of Ontario (that meets her mileage requirements). Price seemed amazing but then i found out that the car is from Quebec and had a $3200 front end collision back in 2015. Mileage is like 40k (most of which has been put on in the past 18 months).

Initially I told her to pass but now I’m taking a second look due to the fact that nothing else is available.

$3200 damage is likely a bumper replacement I’m assuming. The fact that it spent the first 3 or so years of its life on the mean streets of Quebec is a double whammy. Should I even touch this with a 10 foot pole?
Last edited by nasa25 on Jan 20th, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
40 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10086 posts
4184 upvotes
Brampton
Pass
Keep it in the family

F-Pace
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23204 posts
8161 upvotes
Toronto
if your choice is so narrow and you have no backup choice, then what else can you do, really ? do your diligence in PPI and go from there.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
tebore wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:37 am
Pass
Keep it in the family

F-Pace
Lol I wish I could convince her to get an f pace
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
booblehead wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:39 am
if your choice is so narrow and you have no backup choice, then what else can you do, really ? do your diligence in PPI and go from there.
Yup at the very least I’d have to get my guy to do a full inspection of the car.

Part of me is angry with her for not acting on the first vehicle. That’s something that would never happen to me.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
11283 posts
6905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Buy the sport track instead! The Tiguan is so small
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3881 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
Prices or difference on these two cars?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 11:57 am
Prices or difference on these two cars?
Price and vehicle is exactly the same ($17k, white 2014 Tiguan trendline with awd)

The one that sold had 62k on it - Ontario car and clean Carfax. Sold at Wilson’s in Guelph

The other one has 43k on it - $3200 left front end claim reported and spent 3 years and about 28k km in Quebec. Off lease from a vw dealership is what I've been told. The owner must have moved to Ontario a couple years ago from Quebec.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I also noticed based on the original in service date it still has about 9 months full factory warranty left and about 1 yr 9 months of powertrain warranty. That’s a positive.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3881 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
Quebec sucks for winter but it's same in GTA. They have less salting but similar amount of pot holes. I would stay clear unless it's half price, but if you can somehow convince similar model been sold at the selling price and get few grand off, might be something to consider.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
peteryorkuca wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 12:28 pm
Quebec sucks for winter but it's same in GTA. They have less salting but similar amount of pot holes. I would stay clear unless it's half price, but if you can somehow convince similar model been sold at the selling price and get few grand off, might be something to consider.
Yup I’ve asked the guy if the price is firm. Even if we can get it for $16k, with the 9 months warranty left I’d probably bite (assuming my mechanic gives the ok).

What concerns me is suspension issues and rust from being a QC vehicle. That’d all come out in the PPI though I suppose.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 3:53 pm
I suggest to pass.
Yeah the sales guy won’t budge on the $17k. Most of me wants to walk away. Like 8% of me wants to have my mechanic look over it. I’d only be willing to even think of pulling the trigger if my guy rated the car clean as a **** on the PPI

Another option is to just wait them out until they lower the price as long as it passes PPI. I wish I had more supply options here.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
3881 posts
1578 upvotes
Toronto
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 4:14 pm
I wish I had more supply options here.
Find a new gf who likes jag?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20986 posts
10389 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^lol she does. Just hates the price and loathes any vehicle repair expense.