• Jun 3rd, 2021 3:21 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3273 posts
2191 upvotes

Tile Install, too much??

I have been getting a few quotes for my kitchen tile install (125sqft of 24x24 porcelain tile). I had one person quote $9 per sqft for demo of existing tile, install of the new tile and all labour - materials on me.

this other person sent me this as a quick quote (he is recommended by the person across the street getting their kitchen done"

"$1475 install
$750 removal
$ 275 disposable fees

This quote is just labour only customer is responsible for purchasing tile, detra , cement , grout .

Detra $2.00 sqft
Cement 8 bags $45.00 plus taxes"

seems like labour is double the price... how much should this be costing?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4556 posts
1926 upvotes
GTA
Some people don't like doing small jobs like that so they quote high. Also make sure your floor is flat before you put tile that size on it, this might cost extra once the old tile is removed.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2987 posts
1234 upvotes
you might want to read the thread of the member who had a contractor installing large format tile improperly.

Large format is probably the hardest to install compared to small format in 12 x 12 sheets, so I would't mind paying more for the job done properly
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3273 posts
2191 upvotes
shabby wrote: Some people don't like doing small jobs like that so they quote high. Also make sure your floor is flat before you put tile that size on it, this might cost extra once the old tile is removed.
thanks thats what the $9 guy said too. he said once he removes the old tile he might have to level it. he said it would be $30 labour and the cost of material. he has very good reviews on homestars.

does anyone know who the person on here that got the ditra discount? I remember seeing it somewhere.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3273 posts
2191 upvotes
fieldhousehandyman wrote: you might want to read the thread of the member who had a contractor installing large format tile improperly.

Large format is probably the hardest to install compared to small format in 12 x 12 sheets, so I would't mind paying more for the job done properly
lol that was me. we are not set on 24x24, we would go smaller but like that size.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3352 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be more concerned with the quality of their work and method than the price at the moment. At least the second guy gave some details and mentioned Ditra, even if he did misspell it.

What is he using cement for BTW? Does he mean thinset?

Educate yourself on what is currently on your floor, what is the subfloor construction, the deflection requirements of the material you want to put down etc.

$10-$20 per sq ft seems reasonable for start to finish demo, prep and install. But be prepared for:

"hey, your subfloor is crap OSB - you need 2 layers of plywood to support these tiles, glued and screwed to the joists, which also need blocking as the people who built the house were idiots. So that's another $600 in plywood, $100 in glue, $50 for screws and another $500 labor please"
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1178 posts
892 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: I have been getting a few quotes for my kitchen tile install (125sqft of 24x24 porcelain tile). I had one person quote $9 per sqft for demo of existing tile, install of the new tile and all labour - materials on me.

this other person sent me this as a quick quote (he is recommended by the person across the street getting their kitchen done"

"$1475 install
$750 removal
$ 275 disposable fees

This quote is just labour only customer is responsible for purchasing tile, detra , cement , grout .

Detra $2.00 sqft
Cement 8 bags $45.00 plus taxes"

seems like labour is double the price... how much should this be costing?
I feel like the second quote seems more in line for what I would expect. For most man made stuff, it can be installed for closer to $5/sqft. This is a smaller job, so with added trips you are probably paying more, and then for larger tiles again, you are probably paying a little bit more. So again, the $1400 install + $750 demo seems more in the reasonable ballpark for the amount of work involved compared to the $9/sqft for install AND removal.

I would recommend using Ditra.

Also, is that $45 per bag? If not, idk what cheap thinset this person is using, should be $20-40 per bag depending on what you are using.
torontotim wrote: I'd be more concerned with the quality of their work and method than the price at the moment. At least the second guy gave some details and mentioned Ditra, even if he did misspell it.

$10-$20 per sq ft seems reasonable for start to finish demo, prep and install. But be prepared for:

"hey, your subfloor is crap OSB - you need 2 layers of plywood to support these tiles, glued and screwed to the joists, which also need blocking as the people who built the house were idiots. So that's another $600 in plywood, $100 in glue, $50 for screws and another $500 labor please"
I'd generally agree with this price range, although $10/sqft for removal AND install might almost be too low.

If you have OSB, and the original tile is bonded to it without a 1/4 board or something in between, your OSB is probably going to be destroyed in the process. So something to keep in mind.

As per most homes, your floor is probably wavy AF, so with large format tiles probably means some extra labour to get it done properly. This said, should be priced in from the get go by a competent tiler.
Oct 13, 2012
20 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
We are going through the process.

I paid following for the material:

1. ~$1.45/sqft + taxes for Ditra from Myron Tiles and Stone in Mississauga (https://myrontile.ca/).
2. 24x24 tiles @ ~1.87 + taxes psf
3. Mapei LFT for $24 +taxes a bag
4. Mapei Kerabond-T for ~$24 + taxes a bag
5. Self Levelling Clips ~$10+ taxes a bag (good for ~80sqft for 24x24)
6. Wedges for Self leveling clips ~8 + taxes a bag (100 pieces)
7. Transitions 3/8 8ft strips ~$15+tax for a strip.

Please let me know if you know any further information.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by v1russ on Jun 2nd, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
3273 posts
2191 upvotes
v1russ wrote: We are going through the process.

I paid following for the material:

1. ~$1.45/sqft + taxes for Ditra from Myron Tiles and Stone in Mississauga (https://myrontile.ca/).
2. 24x24 tiles @ ~1.87 + taxes psf
3. Mapei LFT for $24 +taxes a bag
4. Mapei Kerabond-T for ~$24 + taxes a bag
5. Self Levelling Clips ~$10+ taxes a bag (good for ~40sqft for 24x24)
6. Wedges for Self leveling clips ~8 + taxes a bag (100 pieces)
7. Transitions 3/8 8ft strips ~$15+tax for a strip.

Please let me know if you know any further information.

I hope this helps.
how much are you paying for the labour?
Oct 13, 2012
20 posts
6 upvotes
GTA
We are doing ~500sqft @10psf

I do not know if it matters but we got the floor raised to the level of the hardwood (1/2 to 3/4) and there was no difference in price to do that.

I am sorry, I did not clarify this earlier I only got Ditra from Myron everything else I got from clubceramic (https://clubceramic.com/contact-mississauga/) or from Prosol in Vaughan (https://www.prosol.ca/contact?orgId=21175606)
Cheers!!
Sep 12, 2017
133 posts
72 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: Home Depot is carrying the Schluter All Set thinset for $40 per bag, would recommend this for the Ditra

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/schlut ... 1001529824
Great price on the mortar.

Schluter will give you a lifetime warranty when you use their products from start to finish. Most of my tile customers are getting that warranty. The cost difference to use all Schluter products is minimal in the big picture.

CHM.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
1664 posts
834 upvotes
As someone who had a contractor butcher a tile install (Master's bathroom, it's a daily eyesore I have to see), I say it's worth paying someone the money. Shop around more Id say if youre not comfortable with the price.

Although, I ALSO (and ALWAYS) try to advise people not to get jobs done over the summer as they can command larger $. If you can hold off until fall-winter Id do it.
Aug 4, 2013
44 posts
54 upvotes
Biscayne05 wrote: As someone who had a contractor butcher a tile install (Master's bathroom, it's a daily eyesore I have to see), I say it's worth paying someone the money. Shop around more Id say if youre not comfortable with the price.

Although, I ALSO (and ALWAYS) try to advise people not to get jobs done over the summer as they can command larger $. If you can hold off until fall-winter Id do it.
Agree. Renovated my kitchen late fall/early winter and more tilers were willing to provide reasonable labour quotes compared to the summer.