Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 2, 2006
523 posts
28 upvotes
Bradford

Tiling new Shower Stall

Hi there, we are building a new shower 4'L x 3'W. After looking at the Shluter Shower Pan and drain we have decided there must be a cheaper way of doing this. The pan with drain is almost $500.00. can anyone suggest a reasonable alternative other than building the slope by yourself.

thanks so much
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
There are a couple different ways to do it and years ago they used and still do use a pvc liner which is technically not a proven method and still debatable amount tile setters. To guarantee a waterproof shower system manufacturers like schluter will guarantee that your shower area will not leak if there membrane is installed as per manufactures instructions as well as material.

My suggestion is to use a mud type base and use the schluter kerdi membrane instead of the schluter premade pan and this way you can make the shower base any size you want. To make it truly a waterproof membrane you would have to incorporate the sill as well as wall and drain into one whole schluter kerdi membrane. You will however have to build the slope yourself which isn't difficult and a lot less expensive.

To answer your question instead of using the schluter pan apply schluter kerdi as your waterproofing membrane. It's much less expensive. Go to there web site and it will give you the details. There are other membranes on the market that will also give you this option. I will be doing my kerdi in a week so I don't have any photo's at this time.

The kerdi membrane install should look like this:

[IMG]http://www.johnbridge.com/wp-content/up ... hower4.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
The styrofoam pan, with kerb, drain, and all the kerdi fabric to do an entire shower complete is between $450 and $600 depending on which of the three sizes you use.

I don't think that is particularly outrageous.

I have done two, exceptional results, bought first when kit was close to $900 (about five years back?) and the other paid over $700 a year and a half ago now. Prices seem to have bottomed now though.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jan 2, 2006
523 posts
28 upvotes
Bradford
thanks for your quick response:
We don't have a problem using the Kerdi Membrane and the Kerdi Band, it's the cost of the shower pan/drain.
But where can we get a shower drain that already is sloped. One of theproblems we have with the Shluter is the positioning of the drain is right in the middle of a joist unless we purchase the largest one which is more than the $450.00.
( We were on the John Bridges site already)

Maymybonneliveforever wrote: There are a couple different ways to do it and years ago they used and still do use a pvc liner which is technically not a proven method and still debatable amount tile setters. To guarantee a waterproof shower system manufacturers like schluter will guarantee that your shower area will not leak if there membrane is installed as per manufactures instructions as well as material.

My suggestion is to use a mud type base and use the schluter kerdi membrane instead of the schluter premade pan and this way you can make the shower base any size you want. To make it truly a waterproof membrane you would have to incorporate the sill as well as wall and drain into one whole schluter kerdi membrane. You will however have to build the slope yourself which isn't difficult and a lot less expensive.

To answer your question instead of using the schluter pan apply schluter kerdi as your waterproofing membrane. It's much less expensive. Go to there web site and it will give you the details. There are other membranes on the market that will also give you this option. I will be doing my kerdi in a week so I don't have any photo's at this time.

The kerdi membrane install should look like this:

[IMG]http://www.johnbridge.com/wp-content/up ... hower4.jpg[/IMG]
[OP]
Jan 2, 2006
523 posts
28 upvotes
Bradford
fieldhousehandyman wrote: The styrofoam pan, with kerb, drain, and all the kerdi fabric to do an entire shower complete is between $450 and $600 depending on which of the three sizes you use.

I don't think that is particularly outrageous.

I have done two, exceptional results, bought first when kit was close to $900 (about five years back?) and the other paid over $700 a year and a half ago now. Prices seem to have bottomed now though.
Thel price of $450 was just for the Pan and drain. (32" x 48") and thats with my discount. No Kerb or fabric.
So I don't know where your prices came from for the entire job. What styrofoam pan with Kerb are you talking about.?
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2892 posts
1123 upvotes
I bought the Kerdi shower kit in a big flat white box both times, it had the contoured styrofoam floor pan, a stainless drain, plastic adapter for the drain, a styrofoam kerb and a roll of fabric, precut and folded fabric corners, and a DVD:

I did not know you can buy the pan and drain seperately

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... ial&s=true

Click this link, the first 3 items should be the three different schlueter/kerdi kits, everything you need in one box.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes you can purchase the drain separately, available in either stainless, bronze etc. Home Hardware has them for around $110.00. I'm not even using Kerdi Ban, I'm just going to overlap the schluter kerdi by 2". Kerdi band is 4 mil. kerdi is 8 mil, depending on how you apply the thin set as well as the size of tile you'll never notice the 4 mil different. I'm being called for dinner so I've got to go, will add more later if needed.

Oh and the slop for the pan is only 1/4" per foot, that's easy to obtain with a straight piece of wood, metal, what ever you have on hand that's straight.

later.....

PS. she'll calling me again....but I wanted to add that I got Home Depot to price match Home Hardware and I got the kerdi drain for under $100.00.
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
62 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: would an acrylic shower base work for you? it has the right slope and easier to keep clean than tile. will still cost you $500 but there's no additional tile or membrane to mess with

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDe ... 9630_4.jpg[/IMG]

Would it be anywhere near as durable as the tile? And the acrylic is slippery. I desperately need to redo my basement bathroom, and I'm still waffling between the tiled shower or something like this.. the downside of this is definitely the durability.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4933 posts
1322 upvotes
Kitchener
PhuFighter wrote: Would it be anywhere near as durable as the tile? And the acrylic is slippery. I desperately need to redo my basement bathroom, and I'm still waffling between the tiled shower or something like this.. the downside of this is definitely the durability.

The base has a non-slip finish and they are very durable, it just doesn't look as nice as tile
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
62 upvotes
Drthorne wrote: The base has a non-slip finish and they are very durable, it just doesn't look as nice as tile

I have an acrylic bath tub now, and it's looking a bit scuffed up from the regular cleaning. Perhaps it's the vim that I'm using, but the damage is already done..
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
If you choose the right tile for the application and installed properly, tile can give both a personal touch as well as last a lifetime. With a kerdi floor membrane and tile finish, you can install the base for maybe $200.00 plus that cost of tile and grout.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18398 posts
4760 upvotes
Toronto
An acrylic floor looks cheap, but that's just my personal opinion.
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: My suggestion is to use a mud type base and use the schluter kerdi membrane instead of the schluter premade pan and this way you can make the shower base any size you want.
The Schluter premade styrofoam pan can be cut to size, so you can make the shower base any size you want.

Home Depot sells 48x48" pans and 32x60" pans. As long it's one of those sizes or smaller, it's fine. eg. If your shower is 48x39", just get a 48x48" and cut it to size.

I've also seen 72x72" Schluter pans advertised, although they don't sell them at Home Depot (unless you special order). A 36 square foot shower is probably good enough for just about anyone. ;)
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
114 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to save some cash, don't buy Kerdi Bands. Make your own from the left over pieces of Kerdi. That's what I did and I have no problems at all.