Food & Drink

Tim Hortons to eliminate approximately 200 million cups a year by ending the practice of "double-cupping" (oct 21 2020)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2020 10:51 pm
20 replies
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4517 posts
4044 upvotes
Wow, it took them 20 years to copy Starbucks on this? I guess if it took them 5 years to copy the Frappuccino, 5 years to copy the rewards program... but 20 years to copy an obvious cost-cutting measure (let alone environment)? Amazing, just amazing. Speaks volumes of the incompetence of this company, on top of what David Olive succinctly described in his article awhile back.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Oct 21st, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1501 posts
926 upvotes
The mere fact they use 200M cups a year double cupping, should be an indication to them about their current cups. And, instead addressing that issue, all they could come up with is "we'll stop doing that" on the guise of saving the environment. More like saving themselves the money, and not doing anything about their crappy, thin cups. Way to go listening to your customers timmy.

For me, I double cup, but then end up saving the cups and re-use them for poop & scoop when walking the dog.
Last edited by Gr8irlbot on Oct 21st, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43786 posts
6996 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
What i don’t get is... those cups were probably more expensive then a brown cardboard paper sleeve.
Their main business is drinks...

Any decent organization looks to cut cost in reasonable ways. Using a sleeve wouldnt have cheapened their product. If anything, it looks kind of good.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5827 posts
2950 upvotes
Mississauga
The funny thing is, they've had these sleeves for a couple of years now. But I've had encounters with TH staff where I've asked for a sleeve and they refused and gave me a second cup instead. I don't understand?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4517 posts
4044 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: What i don’t get is... those cups were probably more expensive then a brown cardboard paper sleeve.
Their main business is drinks...

Any decent organization looks to cut cost in reasonable ways. Using a sleeve wouldnt have cheapened their product. If anything, it looks kind of good.
Starbucks has been doing that for 20 years and it hasn't "cheapened" their product at all...
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9388 posts
3655 upvotes
Toronto
Now if only they could reinvest the money saved into producing non-shit food. Who am I kidding? That tradition will no doubt continue.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7562 posts
2749 upvotes
lol literally every coffee shop has had sleeves forever. Even 7-11 has them.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43786 posts
6996 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
LNahid2000 wrote: lol literally every coffee shop has had sleeves forever. Even 7-11 has them.
My home boy Ranjeet @ the local corner store... he makes coffee for $1.50 no tax.
It... actually taste good... better then tims. Lol. The guy uses these beans from loblaws. Makes a new pot @ 7am & 8am.
Even he has those card board sleeves!
Guy sells expired bread. And still has better coffee and presentation then tims.

Coffee & a beef patty... breakfast of champions.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43786 posts
6996 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
playnicee1 wrote: HUH?
Let's go back to 2013 for a a second... https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.2425691
Says theyre ending the practice. No introducing sleeves.
Subtle difference. But it seems like a fundamental policy change. Where they tell employees to no longer use double cups.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18448 posts
6471 upvotes
Toronto
They should learn from McDonalds and use a better cup.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4517 posts
4044 upvotes
ShoNuff2 wrote: Now if only they could reinvest the money saved into producing non-shit food. Who am I kidding? That tradition will no doubt continue.
No kidding. A dozen donuts at Krispy Kreme is $11.25, and they are made fresh in store (and if you're lucky, hot from the fryer); if you get a second dozen, $2 off.
A dozen donuts at Tim Horton's that was made in Oakville, frozen, shipped by truck, and defrosted in store is $10.99.

Hmmm, where do you think I'm getting my donuts?
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4517 posts
4044 upvotes
RubiconX wrote: Yeah but there's no Krispy Kreme in every corner in Toronto, I might as well not buy my Kit Kat at Kim's Convenience store which is 200 ft away but go buy it at Costco for cheaper but 10 km away.
KK is 20 minutes from my house. I bypass at least 5 Tim's on my way there.
Now when we didn't have one out this way and the closest real KK* was in Mississauga, then I'd just do without donuts until I happened to be out that way. Tim's are a no-go for me.

*I only consider the factory stores as real KK's. Getting the cold donuts at Costco or those downtown cafes don't count.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)