Tim Hortons getting debit?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2010 7:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2010
33 posts
Kincardine

Tim Hortons getting debit?

I was visiting my cousins yesterday and one of them mentioned that their Tim Hortons store (in Ontario) was getting debit around Nov 18th.

Can anyone deny or confirm this rumour?
34 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4805 posts
965 upvotes
Pay-pass, hopefully ....... I don't want to wait why some bozo fumbles with the card and the PIN ...... it's not like the #1 reason people go to timmies is the coffee (I dont), it is the convenience

As to your original question - I have not heard about it other than more locations getting pay pass
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2090 posts
317 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
TodayHello wrote:
Nov 8th, 2010 9:37 am
Pay-pass, hopefully ....... I don't want to wait why some bozo fumbles with the card and the PIN ...... it's not like the #1 reason people go to timmies is the coffee (I dont), it is the convenience

As to your original question - I have not heard about it other than more locations getting pay pass

They've had paypass for quite a while at the locations I frequent. I have not heard anything about them getting debit though, I believe they will not to keep up their standard of quick service ;)
Oct 24, 2003
588 posts
30 upvotes
I work beside a Tim Horton's and they confirmed to me that they are getting debt. Some stores this week and some next. That's in Toronto.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1217 posts
139 upvotes
I had heard that they avoided debit due to the speed factor, but when in Edmonton about 5 years ago, they had debit there and it didn't appear to affect the speed of service. I think a another idea might be to have a debit machine similar to the ones that theatre use to dispense tickets...hand over your ticket and they give you your coffee.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1217 posts
139 upvotes
Another way to speed up service would be to limit the drive-thru to 'drinks only'. Of course this would open up a can of worms, so they'd never do it...but I recall seeing an email a while back that outlined the unwritten rules of the Tim Horton's drive-thru...pretty funny, but good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5445 posts
838 upvotes
Toronto
TodayHello wrote:
Nov 8th, 2010 9:37 am
I don't want to wait why some bozo fumbles with the card and the PIN
+1

If it was a bigger location like those that have the 'coffee only' lines then it might work and they have a 'cash only' line but then it would start making lining up more confusing.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Penalty Box
May 8, 2006
1094 posts
99 upvotes
How odd. You guys in ON have been cash-only at Tims this whole time?

We've had debit for years now in Calgary, five, I think, or more.

So relax, GTAers. It isn't some big apocalypse where you need to fret about people fumbling with pin pads. Unless you're one of those people who is always shuffling their feet and is impatient bordering on schizoid.
Jul 24, 2008
91 posts
3 upvotes
Brantford-ish
debit shouldn't exist for ANY purchase under $50

the only tim hortons i've seen that accepts debit was in college, and i'd always get frustrated waiting for people paying debit, walk around them and flick a toonie to the cashier.
Penalty Box
May 8, 2006
1094 posts
99 upvotes
distr0 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2010 1:29 pm
i'd always get frustrated waiting for people paying debit, walk around them and flick a toonie to the cashier.
oh my! how cavalier and dastardly! huffing and puffing to the OTHER SIDE AND FLICKING TOONIES. you so-very-manly man to end all men, you.

when you weren't taking your ritalin, or did you manage this sort of behaviour on it as well?

pray tell how many more seconds - if anything at all - you must so terribly endure waiting when someone pays by debit as opposed to waiting for their change?

people like you act as though they never make anyone wait themselves and further, are arrogant to the hilt.
i cannot understand the legions of people like yourself who are always shuffling their feet and grunting in line and screwing their faces up. you're like a bunch of little girls.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17811 posts
880 upvotes
^ lol @ the most effeminate poster on the entire board above calling anyone else girly

PayPass seems to work well for me, the odd time I go to Tim's
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5675 posts
1510 upvotes
Montreal
Imran DeRoy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2010 1:19 pm
How odd. You guys in ON have been cash-only at Tims this whole time?
Cash only in Quebec as well.

I've heard the "speed of service" angle before, but I suspect it is more likely a financial thing. Taking payment via debit for a coffee or a donut would cut the profit on the item by roughly 10 cents.

I know there is a cost associated with taking MasterCard through PayPass, but I wouldn't be surprised is MasterCard cut them a deal on fees to socialize the PayPass concept.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
2090 posts
317 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
I lied earlier, I can confirm that Tim Horton's is indeed adding debit next Monday.

Source: I asked them :lol:
Jul 24, 2008
91 posts
3 upvotes
Brantford-ish
Imran DeRoy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2010 2:02 pm
oh my! how cavalier and dastardly! huffing and puffing to the OTHER SIDE AND FLICKING TOONIES. you so-very-manly man to end all men, you.

when you weren't taking your ritalin, or did you manage this sort of behaviour on it as well?

pray tell how many more seconds - if anything at all - you must so terribly endure waiting when someone pays by debit as opposed to waiting for their change?

people like you act as though they never make anyone wait themselves and further, are arrogant to the hilt.
i cannot understand the legions of people like yourself who are always shuffling their feet and grunting in line and screwing their faces up. you're like a bunch of little girls.

when you have 10 minutes to grab a coffee and make the 9 and a half minute walk across campus, its the difference between being on time or being late every day and looking like a total slacker.

also, holy ****spaz. do you happen to have a rocket launcher to kill this fly buzzing around my office?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2150 posts
356 upvotes
if Tims can use the same connection McD has, it could work without really impacting the speed of the line.

at McD, by the time you're done pressing OK after entering your pin, it's approved like right away.

what Tims need to do is to integrate the pin pad to the POS. paying mastercard at tims is so hard because the ppl working there can't figure out how to work the machine.