[Tim Hortons] Tim Hortons Mailer

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2020 6:08 pm
Tags:
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I'd like to warn anyone using the kiosks with the paper coupons (or digital versions of them) that it may reject the coupon if you add customizations to the item that have an upcharge not covered by the coupon. This issue may even occur at the register, but I haven't tried it myself so I don't know what will happen.

This morning I tried to use the $1.99 breakfast sandwich coupon at the kiosk. I was intending to scan the coupon (QR code on device) after adding item to bag, and then scan Tims Rewards card on the app to earn a point.

I customized a sausage breakfast sandwich with cinnamon french toast instead of the homestyle biscuit it normally comes with, which is a $0.70 upcharge. I assumed that I'd pay the upcharge on top of the $1.99 after the coupon applied, so $2.69 plus tax. I added item to bag and then scanned the coupon. It didn't apply the discount and I got an error, like what would happen if the item was ineligible for the coupon to work on it. Then I removed the item and added a sausage breakfast sandwich with no customizations, and scanned the coupon. It worked, and the subtotal was changed to $1.99. From there I tried to edit the item to change the bread type to cinnamon french toast, and updated item in bag. The coupon discount came off and the same error appeared.

I managed to get it to work, however not on the kiosk. I luckily had the $1.99 breakfast sandwich offer on my Tims App, so I did a mobile order. It worked as expected, the $1.99 for the standard breakfast sandwich after coupon discount, plus $0.70 upcharge for cinnamon french toast. I thought it was strange how it worked by mobile ordering, but not on the kiosk. Ordering on the kiosk is just like mobile ordering, except on a bigger screen and the option to pay with debit/credit.
Adam
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
You complicated this post. You could have just gone to the counter to avoid all this drama.

Again, OP thanks for this. I've used the Timbits and donuts QR code 4 times today alone
AdamMoloo wrote: I'd like to warn anyone using the kiosks with the paper coupons (or digital versions of them) that it may reject the coupon if you add customizations to the item that have an upcharge not covered by the coupon. This issue may even occur at the register, but I haven't tried it myself so I don't know what will happen.

This morning I tried to use the $1.99 breakfast sandwich coupon at the kiosk. I was intending to scan the coupon (QR code on device) after adding item to bag, and then scan Tims Rewards card on the app to earn a point.

I customized a sausage breakfast sandwich with cinnamon french toast instead of the homestyle biscuit it normally comes with, which is a $0.70 upcharge. I assumed that I'd pay the upcharge on top of the $1.99 after the coupon applied, so $2.69 plus tax. I added item to bag and then scanned the coupon. It didn't apply the discount and I got an error, like what would happen if the item was ineligible for the coupon to work on it. Then I removed the item and added a sausage breakfast sandwich with no customizations, and scanned the coupon. It worked, and the subtotal was changed to $1.99. From there I tried to edit the item to change the bread type to cinnamon french toast, and updated item in bag. The coupon discount came off and the same error appeared.

I managed to get it to work, however not on the kiosk. I luckily had the $1.99 breakfast sandwich offer on my Tims App, so I did a mobile order. It worked as expected, the $1.99 for the standard breakfast sandwich after coupon discount, plus $0.70 upcharge for cinnamon french toast. I thought it was strange how it worked by mobile ordering, but not on the kiosk. Ordering on the kiosk is just like mobile ordering, except on a bigger screen and the option to pay with debit/credit.
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
swagwalk wrote: You complicated this post. You could have just gone to the counter to avoid all this drama.

Again, OP thanks for this. I've used the Timbits and donuts QR code 4 times today alone
I didn't have the paper coupons with me. A lot of cashiers give people a hard time when they scan coupons on their phone.
Adam
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
I'm yet to use paper.......I've been using downloaded jpeg QR code on my phone with no issues thus far
AdamMoloo wrote: I didn't have the paper coupons with me. A lot of cashiers give people a hard time when they scan coupons on their phone.
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
swagwalk wrote: I'm yet to use paper.......I've been using downloaded jpeg QR code on my phone with no issues thus far
Yes, I'm doing the same. I haven't used (and likely won't use) any of my paper coupons. It depends on the location if they will accept digital versions of the paper coupons at the register, which is why I only use them at the self order kiosks. I saw posts on here of people having problems using them because they refuse to accept it. The last thing I want is a confrontation with the manager.
Adam
Nov 4, 2006
266 posts
217 upvotes
Vancouver
Read thread...can I order at a kiosk at scan the codes in this thread and pay or will customer service want to check a physical coupon when order picked up?
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
ryk1998 wrote: Read thread...can I order at a kiosk at scan the codes in this thread and pay or will customer service want to check a physical coupon when order picked up?
Nope, ordering at the kiosk is like mobile ordering. They see it as a mobile order and won't know whether you ordered on the app or at the kiosk.

When the order is processed, they have to give you what you paid for and probably won't even know or care that you used a coupon.
Adam
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10782 posts
667 upvotes
Scarborough
Trying to use the coupons as posted on the kiosks but it wont pick up or accept it. Do all kiosks accept the QR codes? When do you attempt to scan them?
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote: Trying to use the coupons as posted on the kiosks but it wont pick up or accept it. Do all kiosks accept the QR codes? When do you attempt to scan them?
Add eligible item to cart and then scan coupon at checkout, before payment. After scanning coupon you can scan rewards card as well and then pay.

All of the kiosks should accept them, but you may have problems with the coupon if you add customizations that have surcharges (examples: espresso shot added to $1.99 iced capp // substitute cinnamon french toast on $1.99 breakfast sandwich)
Adam
Jan 8, 2015
673 posts
411 upvotes
Decided to use two of the coupons before they expire and the employee said he had to ring them thru separate transactions. Is this done at corporate level or from franchise to franchise?
Oct 11, 2005
560 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Quickman wrote: Decided to use two of the coupons before they expire and the employee said he had to ring them thru separate transactions. Is this done at corporate level or from franchise to franchise?
I would guess that the point-of-sale software will only allow one coupon per transaction. The coupons do state: "Limit one coupon per customer per visit." It sounds like the worker was doing you a favour by allowing 2 coupons, but had to do it in a way that the system would allow it...
Jan 8, 2015
673 posts
411 upvotes
CalgaryBen wrote: I would guess that the point-of-sale software will only allow one coupon per transaction. The coupons do state: "Limit one coupon per customer per visit." It sounds like the worker was doing you a favour by allowing 2 coupons, but had to do it in a way that the system would allow it...
That's right. He was. I'm just wondering if this is set at Tim Hortons wide level or just franchise to franchise.
Aug 20, 2019
231 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Quickman wrote: That's right. He was. I'm just wondering if this is set at Tim Hortons wide level or just franchise to franchise.
A lot of restaurants (fast food/coffee shops) are the same for this, only allowing ONE coupon to be used by ONE person in ONE purchase on ONE visit, but there is a limit to how much they can enforce that.

If you're ordering in person, they may or may not allow you to use multiple coupons at once. You could stand in line again and go to a different cashier to use a second coupon. You could ask someone to do it for you if necessary. Maybe leave and order in drive thru with the other coupon. As a last resort you could go to a different location.

If you're ordering at a self serve kiosk or placing a mobile order, you could do multiple orders and even use different accounts on the app for mobile ordering if you need to. Different devices and credit card numbers if necessary to get around the rules.
Adam
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
Last day today folks for this. Used it twice already today. McDonalds starts their $1 any size drink today
Oct 11, 2005
560 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary, AB
swagwalk wrote: Last day today folks for this. Used it twice already today. McDonalds starts their $1 any size drink today
Say what?? Is summer here already?! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

I think it's their $1 any size coffee, to be specific, right? I think that started yesterday...?