Bloor-Yonge

Tim Hortons plans to have 2750 locations in China within 5 years

11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
Guess its time to load up on some QSR stock.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
8447 posts
5416 upvotes
Global Village
Their 199 existing stores in China must be doing very well.
All day I dream about sports

My Banks: Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
7235 posts
3385 upvotes
It reminds me of brands like Subway expanding rapidly in South Korea, because South Koreans were not yet aware that Subway was rapidly losing favour in places like Canada & US. "Oh, its a popular American brand, gotta try it". Their exists some of that mentality. I'm sure there is still some novelty factor, but eventually they'll figure out its not very good. Big difference between having 200 stores & 3000 stores. I know South Koreans who insisted on trying Tim Hortons in Canada, its like they are aware its supposed to be popular but they didn't know how divisive it is (meaning its popular but there also an increasing contingent of Cdns who don't like it at all)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29036 posts
14582 upvotes
If only they'd fix their domestic operations before expanding internationally.
Then again.... if consumers just recognize the name without knowing their current pedigree it could work. Until they try their first bite/sip/whatever.

Also I can see this going the way of Subway where there's now too many franchises fighting for the same slice of the pie and cannibalizing each other.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49906 posts
13921 upvotes
ONTARIO
HP_John wrote: It reminds me of brands like Subway expanding rapidly in South Korea, because South Koreans were not yet aware that Subway was rapidly losing favour in places like Canada & US. "Oh, its a popular American brand, gotta try it". Their exists some of that mentality. I'm sure there is still some novelty factor, but eventually they'll figure out its not very good. Big difference between having 200 stores & 3000 stores. I know South Koreans who insisted on trying Tim Hortons in Canada, its like they are aware its supposed to be popular but they didn't know how divisive it is (meaning its popular but there also an increasing contingent of Cdns who don't like it at all)
They’ll make it suited to that market.
For example pizza hut is garbage pizza fast food here.
In China it is sold as premium. Better service, restaurant sit in, buffet dessert etc…

They’ll probably try to market Tim Horton’s as a coffee culture type experience.

Gotta remember they can’t pull off garbage like they do here. There is so much competition in Asia.

Theres even a person in the washroom who hands out towels & mouth wash.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7171 posts
9144 upvotes
The NORTH
UrbanPoet wrote: They’ll make it suited to that market.
In China it is sold as premium. Better service, restaurant sit in, buffet dessert etc…

They’ll probably try to market Tim Horton’s as a coffee culture type experience.

Gotta remember they can’t pull off garbage like they do here. There is so much competition in Asia.
Good Luck. Starbucks has expanded already to over 6000 locations and have found that China doesn't like coffee, preferring tea instead..
With a deeply-rooted tea culture and ubiquitous milk tea stores, in China coffee is still not consumed as much as in the West — on average, Chinese people only drink three cups of coffee a year, according to an Alibaba report in 2018, compared to 250 cups in the UK and 363 cups in the US.
Tim Horton's will leverage the 'Canadian Culture' that they squandered here to appeal to Chinese, and if that doesn't work they can start a rewards program for condo's in Vancouver/Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7690 posts
5126 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Blech, they aren't even worth visiting in Canada anymore. I'm still sore about them not making donuts in store or being an actual donut store anymore:(
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49906 posts
13921 upvotes
ONTARIO
UrbanPoet wrote: They’ll make it suited to that market.

Theres even a person in the washroom who hands out towels & mouth wash.
kr0zet wrote: Good Luck. Starbucks has expanded already to over 6000 locations and have found that China doesn't like coffee, preferring tea instead..

Tim Horton's will leverage the 'Canadian Culture' that they squandered here to appeal to Chinese, and if that doesn't work they can start a rewards program for condo's in Vancouver/Toronto.
They don’t really eat greasy cheesey junky american food either. Pizza Hut was marketed upscale. And their pizzas are more over the top. Like hotdog and cheese pastry crust. Dessert buffet. Etc

They’ll need to re-tool.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7193 posts
2227 upvotes
0 downvotes
That's amazing news, Go Tim Horton's Go! I'll probably never go to China to see it but good on them
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1548 posts
940 upvotes
Toronto
2750. And some of them will even be officially licensed, and not just knock offs.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31870 posts
18851 upvotes
Toronto
Oh! That's a lot of bad tasting donuts being dumped in China Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes