Tim Hortons Rewards Changes

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2020 11:13 am
82 replies
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
548 posts
683 upvotes
exsiccation wrote: They have a "reward matrix" and point system now? Oh jeez... way to take the biggest benefit of the system (simplicity) and make the program overly confusing.

I basically end up getting 1 reward a year because I tend to get a few cold drinks over the summer months and pretty much never get anything else. But if they're making it more complicated, then I'm probably out.
as long as you linked/registered your card you will stay at the default setting for coffee, tea and baked goods unless you change it
Sep 24, 2004
651 posts
277 upvotes
Scarborough
Aselwyn1 wrote: as long as you linked/registered your card you will stay at the default setting for coffee, tea and baked goods unless you change it
How do you change this setting, i.e. how do I bank rewards.
[OP]
Feb 18, 2018
548 posts
683 upvotes
sudesingh wrote: How do you change this setting, i.e. how do I bank rewards.
i would guess its going to be in the app somewhere will have to see on the 26th when the new program launches
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
2073 posts
684 upvotes
Toronto
So rewards are still automatically redeemed? Good to know it was their explicit decision by design to implement this. They say you can bank rewards on the other hand.. which obviously you cant!

Edit: Nevermind, i cant read. It does say you can "bank" points now. So lets see. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
3852 posts
3124 upvotes
Havo wrote: Seems like they are copying the garbage changes that starbucks implemented
Starbucks' new system hasn't cost them any business. Since that was implemented, 3 new stores opened near me while 1 of the 2 Second Cups closed down. So we went from 2 Second Cups and 1 Starbucks, to 1 Second Cup for 4 Starbucks. The Starbucks are all busy, if there's snow on the ground you won't see fresh tire tracks through Second Cup's drive thru lane.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”- Oscar Wilde
Let's get this straight once and for all. The "Golden Arches" burger chain is McDonald's, not MacDonald's. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6702 posts
2414 upvotes
Markham
Havo wrote: Seems like they are copying the garbage changes that starbucks implemented
Seems in right direction then. Next step, Copy Starbucks coffee
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6702 posts
2414 upvotes
Markham
The point will be expired after 12 months. Is this legal in Ontario? I thought Starbucks star is no expiration date
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7443 posts
891 upvotes
GTA
smartie wrote: The point will be expired after 12 months. Is this legal in Ontario? I thought Starbucks star is no expiration date
Yes, unfortunately it is allowed. A new rule was introduced in 2018 and since then Starbucks stars do expire in Ontario. This is the rule they use - the "can't be redeemed for a single item over $50":

New rules: Some points can’t expire
On January 1, 2018, new rules came into effect that stops the expiration of reward points based only on the amount of time that has passed since they were earned. The rules are not an all-out ban on expiring points.

In some cases your reward points may still expire, including, if:

the reward program closes accounts when a member is inactive (does not earn or redeem any points) for a long period of time and this is stated in the membership agreement.

the program issues a voucher as a reward (for example a discount on a purchase), that is considered a gift card and cannot expire

the reward points can’t be redeemed for any single item over $50.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/reward-points#section-2
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6702 posts
2414 upvotes
Markham
sillysimms wrote:
Yes, unfortunately it is allowed. A new rule was introduced in 2018 and since then Starbucks stars do expire in Ontario. This is the rule they use - the "can't be redeemed for a single item over $50":

New rules: Some points can’t expire
On January 1, 2018, new rules came into effect that stops the expiration of reward points based only on the amount of time that has passed since they were earned. The rules are not an all-out ban on expiring points.

In some cases your reward points may still expire, including, if:

the reward program closes accounts when a member is inactive (does not earn or redeem any points) for a long period of time and this is stated in the membership agreement.

the program issues a voucher as a reward (for example a discount on a purchase), that is considered a gift card and cannot expire

the reward points can’t be redeemed for any single item over $50.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/reward-points#section-2
Thanks

Indeed, checked my Starbucks app and it said star expired in 6 months

So rule is more target those high value retailers like Apple?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
7890 posts
44452 upvotes
Ontario
HOly ***** . I don't like to swear but these big corporations are making my life miserable.

SDM confusing pts system
Then Wireless complicated finance option.
Now Timmys.

I Just want to relax after work.......

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)