Shopping Discussion

Tim Hortons Rewards Changes

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2020 11:15 pm
Jul 14, 2018
292 posts
346 upvotes
lecale wrote: I don't do coffee but I understand the controversy as, before you could go get 8 cups of coffee for the office and only pay for 7? Now that order gets just 10 pts and you can't break it up into separate transactions because you need to wait 30 mins before you can earn pts again.
You always had to wait 30 mins, you could never break your order up unless you had more than 1 Tim Hortons account.

But the fact is still there - you get 8 coffees in 8 visits but only pay for 7. Say you're visiting Tims and you only ever buy a coffee for yourself, only 1 coffee per visit. Assuming you scan your card every time, Tims is going to be missing out on 12.5% of revenue from you - and assuming you use their app/a card linked to their app, nothing about that changes. From what I understand they are just going to be switching you to a worse rewards program if you never linked your rewards card to their app. Since their rewards program works best for them when you order more than 1 item in 1 order, I assume they are doing this to market more offers to you via the app, or maybe get you hooked on their other products. But I'm not sure. As someone who has always used the digital version of Tim's rewards, I don't really see how this move is going to do anything revenue-wise. Then again, I'm sure the CEO knows better than me Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
Tim Hortons is overhauling its loyalty program after parent company Restaurant Brands International Inc. announced that profits at the coffee chain are down, and its coffee and doughnut giveaways are partly to blame.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/this-is-h ... -1.4806723

THEN: HOW TIMS REWARDS USED TO WORK

Customers with a Tims Rewards card used to be able to redeem for a free coffee or baked good after every seventh purchase

NOW: HOW TIMS REWARDS IS CHANGING

Customers with Tims Rewards cards will collect with 10 points for every purchase
Cardholders who don’t register their cards (online or on the app) will still receive a coffee, tea or baked good after every 70 points
Those who do register can choose one of 14 rewards levels, each comprising a different set of menu item rewards offered for different numbers of points
When registered cardholders have enough points, they can redeem for an item in their chosen reward level or continue collecting

HOW IT’LL WORK

After collecting 50 points, people will be eligible to start redeeming items
Regardless of how many items you purchase, you’ll only receive 10 points per transaction
You can bank up to 20,000 points and redeem whenever you order
Customers must wait 30 minutes before they can receive another 10 points on their next purchase
To be eligible, each purchase has to have a pre-tax total of more than $0.50

WHAT COULD MY POINTS GET ME:

50 points: hash browns, classic doughnut, specialty doughnut, cookies
70 points: brewed coffee, tea, Dream Donuts, bagels and baked goods
100 points: hot chocolate, French vanilla, iced coffee, wedges
140 points: Classic Iced Capp, frozen beverages, espresso drinks, box of 10 Timbits, yogurt, oatmeal
180 points: breakfast sandwiches, soups
220 points: BELT, farmer’s breakfast sandwiches, lunch sandwiches, chili

If Tims Rewards members haven’t registered by April 22 they will be automatically bumped into the lowest-tier reward level.

Points expire after one year after you earn them. Tims will also send exclusive offers and birthday rewards to registered members through the new program.

RBI says only 25 per cent of the current 7.5 million members are currently registered.

Despite the upcoming changes, RBI said Tims Rewards is expected to drag down sales for several more quarters.

NEW ROLL UP THE RIM FORMAT

The roll-out of the new loyalty program has pushed back Tim Hortons signature promotion Roll Up the Rim, which runs annually from February to April.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
6222 posts
2642 upvotes
NinjaSaves wrote: You always had to wait 30 mins, you could never break your order up unless you had more than 1 Tim Hortons account.

But the fact is still there - you get 8 coffees in 8 visits but only pay for 7. Say you're visiting Tims and you only ever buy a coffee for yourself, only 1 coffee per visit. Assuming you scan your card every time, Tims is going to be missing out on 12.5% of revenue from you - and assuming you use their app/a card linked to their app, nothing about that changes. From what I understand they are just going to be switching you to a worse rewards program if you never linked your rewards card to their app. Since their rewards program works best for them when you order more than 1 item in 1 order, I assume they are doing this to market more offers to you via the app, or maybe get you hooked on their other products. But I'm not sure. As someone who has always used the digital version of Tim's rewards, I don't really see how this move is going to do anything revenue-wise. Then again, I'm sure the CEO knows better than me Face With Tears Of Joy
Instead of a customer getting three low-cost high margin coffees or factory-made donuts as a reward, they can get a higher cost lower margin sandwich/wrap. I think they are doing this so people explore the menu and think beyond coffee and donuts, but it is going to squeeze the franchisees again.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4936 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
This is hilarious. 10 points per transaction. Way to incentivize customers to spend more money in your store. And only one set of 10 points per 30 minutes?

Did they find the grumpiest old man in town and ask him to create their program? Does any other reward program work like this? I don't think I have ever heard of anything like this.

I guess they are worried that they would be giving away points and eventual free stuff to people that would be spending a lot anyway (even if they did not have the app) but that is some bad shortsighted thinking. Considering how much of a drop in sales they experienced recently in addition to a lot of negative publicity and expanded competition from McDonalds, Starbucks, etc you think they might think of the big picture here.

Also, don't they throw out a ton of food/coffee on a daily basis anyway? A good portion of that could be what would be taken as free items.
Funny how they have no problem throwing away all that food but seem to hate giving it away to people who spend the most money at their stores.
Jul 14, 2018
292 posts
346 upvotes
kindred_99 wrote: This is hilarious. 10 points per transaction. Way to incentivize customers to spend more money in your store. And only one set of 10 points per 30 minutes?
It's the same as the current system...

The only difference is 1) you can now get more stuff with your points if you chose to save up past 70 pts and 2) you will need the card linked to the app.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4936 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
NinjaSaves wrote: It's the same as the current system...

The only difference is 1) you can now get more stuff with your points if you chose to save up past 70 pts and 2) you will need the card linked to the app.
I wasn't saying that it was becoming worse, just that it is ridiculous.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5871 posts
857 upvotes
Scarborough
its a crappy joint which is raising its prices every quarter, frozen crap they call food and crap for coffee.
Go to mcdonalds instead (its worth it!)

I guess the franchisees were complaining about too many free rewards so that had to end. Dunno why people still loyal to it now as it hasnt been “canadian” in decades
Jan 1, 2011
636 posts
169 upvotes
Etobicoke
"Next step, Copy Starbucks coffee"

Burnt coffee? God, no.
Banned
May 9, 2018
287 posts
113 upvotes
People should be making their own coffee / tea anyway, as well as food prepping on Sunday. I mean what do people do on Sundays...sitting around and watch crappy shows on TV while stroking their dogs/cats??????? I keep hearing excuses from people saying......"I don't like cooking for myself", which is complete BS really.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15052 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
When coffee sales are down what to do? Offer better coffee? Nah...just change the loyalty program! lol

Under the new system, registered loyalty members will first select a reward they want to earn points towards before they are able to redeem the item. Tim Hortons said this is to ensure that guests will have a quick and seamless in-store experience. Customers will earn 10 points per eligible purchase, which is defined as worth more than 50 cents and made 30 minutes or more after your most recent transaction. Points can be banked and saved for up to a year.

Registered members who don’t select a reward level will still be able to redeem a hot drink or baked good after seven visits. ⬅ As of April, those that are not registered will have to wait every 12 visits to get a free item.

The menu items up for redemption will cost members between 50 points for hash browns, classic donuts and cookies, and 220 points for lunch sandwiches and chili.

Here’s how the point system breaks down:

50 points: hash browns, classic doughnuts, specialty doughnuts, cookies

70 points: brewed coffee, tea, Dream doughnuts, bagels and baked goods

100 points: hot chocolate, French vanilla, iced coffee, wedges

140 points: Classic Iced Capp, frozen beverages, espresso drinks, box of 10 Timbits, yogurt, oatmeal

180 points: breakfast sandwiches, soups

220 points: BELT, farmers breakfast sandwiches, lunch sandwiches, chili

SOURCE: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/tim-h ... 38482.html
Last edited by playnicee1 on Feb 12th, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5267 posts
4447 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Yes, through their app. 7th item free.
Oh. Pretty sure the stores around me never even worked with the app. Same with the Wendy's...
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
15052 posts
2906 upvotes
Toronto
superfresh89 wrote: Oh. Pretty sure the stores around me never even worked with the app. Same with the Wendy's...
Yeah, I had trouble at first too, but I just got a free $1.99 doughnut for my 7th item.
Nothing to be excited about though. That round thing they're passing off as a doughnut was really gross.
I live, I learn I guess.
At least I didn't have to pay for it to find out.
The The Dulce De Leche dream doughnut had almost no cream (or caramel) inside. I wouldn't serve it to my worst enemy.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
25431 posts
10369 upvotes
Toronto
haha. I can see another Timmy loyalty scam complaint thread coming ... again Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)