• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2021 10:39 am
[OP]
Dec 31, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Timberlands with dress pants?

Hi guys, first time posting here although i've been reading on this site for quite some time

Do you guys think it's okay to wear Timberlands with dress pants when going to work in winter, so only for the commuting? It may sound like a very stupid question, but such do's and dont's are completely new to me. As an undergrad i used to wear tracksuits, even in senior year and as a teacher assistant (STEM field); the most formal thing i wore was a jean. Now i got a job in the finance sector and i have been told the dress code was business casual, so I'll basically be wearing dress pants everyday until I'm sure 5-pocket pants are okay. I am not a fool and it didn't even came to my mind to wear timbs in the office, but I am not sure if wearing them for commute time and entering the building with timbs on feet combined with dress pants is okay, even if i change to dress shoes in the office.

Thanks in advance for your advices :)
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
9929 posts
1085 upvotes
Mississauga
Just buy Galoshes
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 35-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
21401 posts
3364 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I guess it would have to depend entirely on your workplace environment. I've never worked anywhere where anyone gave damn what my winter boots looked like. I'd be pretty surprised if it was an issue but there are jerks out there.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12038 posts
2644 upvotes
If it's business casual, then wearing Tims all day should be fine... even if it is a fashion faux pas, I seriously doubt anyone will call you out on it.

I will say this though... In the financial sector, the dress code may be business casual, but people will still wear suits. My tip is to wear a suit jacket with dress pants and bring a pair of dress shoes to work that you can change into. As for why wear a suit? It's better to over dress than under dress for your first day. Then gauge how comfortable you want to dress after that.
[OP]
Dec 31, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Okay, thanks for the advices guys. I was already planning on bringing dress shoes to put on in the offices, so it's perfect.
joeyjoejoe wrote: I will say this though... In the financial sector, the dress code may be business casual, but people will still wear suits. My tip is to wear a suit jacket with dress pants and bring a pair of dress shoes to work that you can change into.
I'm more an analyst guy (more into tech and quantitative stuffs) than business/commercial side. Still apply to me? I went to the interviews with dress shirt+dress pants, and the analyst guy receiving me had jeans and hoodie on while the manager had a jean and a suit/sport jacket. I reckon it was a friday though.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12038 posts
2644 upvotes
gabe549 wrote: Okay, thanks for the advices guys. I was already planning on bringing dress shoes to put on in the offices, so it's perfect.

I'm more an analyst guy (more into tech and quantitative stuffs) than business/commercial side. Still apply to me? I went to the interviews with dress shirt+dress pants, and the analyst guy receiving me had jeans and hoodie on while the manager had a jean and a suit/sport jacket. I reckon it was a friday though.
You're fine then. I wasn't sure what your role was. For new grad you could be at one extreme where you are Client facing (like financial advisors) that require you to dress really well to the other extreme of back office, never in meetings, never leaves their desk code monkeys that dress much more relaxed. Being in the analytics world for banking myself, you are going to be much closer to the relaxed side.

Side note: I'm in a managerial role (in product analytics)... and I'm wearing a hoodie and jeans today. But I don't look like a complete bum, I'm flexing a pair of Off-White Nike sneakers.
Jun 3, 2006
734 posts
138 upvotes
Markham
No one cares what you wear for commute. I see guys wearing running shoes or big waterproof winter boots with a suit during the commute. I'm pretty sure they change into another pair of shoes when they get to the office.
Dec 25, 2019
20 posts
14 upvotes
Just do it, they're unlikely to care. Wearing dress shoes in the snow is not fun.
Jan 16, 2009
208 posts
89 upvotes
It's pretty common for people to come into the office wearing big winter boots and then change into dress shoes once they settle in.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1873 posts
524 upvotes
North York
At least black and not the beige timberlands
[OP]
Dec 31, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Okay, that sounds perfect for me. Thanks for your advices guys!
thericyip wrote: At least black and not the beige timberlands
Got dark brown ones, same color as dress shoes overall
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2494 posts
1061 upvotes
Montreal, QC
people don't care but if you want, you can always buy some classic rubber overshoes. they are like $30-$40 and you wear them over dress shoes
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15161 posts
3043 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I take two pairs with me. One for the winter commute and then swap it over at the office with the dress shoe / boot etc.
Jun 10, 2013
588 posts
255 upvotes
sumtimw0ng wrote: people don't care but if you want, you can always buy some classic rubber overshoes. they are like $30-$40 and you wear them over dress shoes
I've seen this done. It's pretty convenient. I used to wear timberlands with dress pants the whole day but I was in government analytics, when they say business casual, they meant casual lol...Finance is very different, culture is important. You can also just change out of the boots and leave nice shoes on standby in the office =/...I did that too when I cared more earlier in my career.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4335 posts
1818 upvotes
Who cares? I work for a bank, and I walk in with my winter boots, and my dress shoes in a plastic bag in my backpack.

I change my shoes at my desk, and leave the boots there (under the desk). No big deal.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6747 posts
487 upvotes
GT'eh
motomondo wrote: Who cares? I work for a bank, and I walk in with my winter boots, and my dress shoes in a plastic bag in my backpack.
I change my shoes at my desk, and leave the boots there (under the desk). No big deal.
I do this too, except I switch it up and have 2-3 pairs of dressier shoes at the office so I can switch it up every once in a while. I scored some great finds from the bay sale a few weeks back.
My Timbs are strictly for outdoors.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Nov 3, 2019
71 posts
11 upvotes
i know this is old, you likely got your answer already but YES it is totally fine. Why would you risk injuring yourself OR messing up your good shoes in snow, salt etc..
obviously you plan to change your shoes after arrival. And please do not buy galoshes like someone said above. If you are wearing Timbs, you are def not a galoshes guy LOL
[OP]
Dec 31, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Thank all of you guys for your tips. Finally it was very okay, for the analysts it was more casual than business casual lol.
lukk1038 wrote: And please do not buy galoshes like someone said above. If you are wearing Timbs, you are def not a galoshes guy LOL
that's what i said to myself after a quick google image search for "galosh" lol
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4593 posts
1075 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I've seen a lot of folks leave their office shoes at their desks.

Wear whatever you want into the office, change into them, change out of them and leave them at your desk at the end of the day.
Jun 11, 2019
178 posts
144 upvotes
North York, Toronto
Generally agree with everyone, winter boots are winter boots.

That said - people will judge you for wearing Tims 6-inch. They're played out, clunky, you'll come off a bit tasteless. At least winter boots are obnoxiously winter boots.

Shame for me, spent nearly 2 decades collecting them. Now I don't wear any of them.. I do like - and would buy - other styles from Timberland. Some of their styles are actually quite nice. Just not the 6-inch.