Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Timbuk2 One bag on sale each day..

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2010 12:55 pm
Apr 3, 2010
876 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto

Timbuk2 One bag on sale each day..

I saw this posted on engadget yesterday. I searched but there were no posts found.

Timbuk2 has one bag on sale a day with up to 60% off. Shipping to Canada is $30 by UPS. Their quality is very good IMHO. I don't know how long the sale will go on.

Have a look.

EDIT 2: Good News! It appears thatTimbuk2 uses UPS Express ( No Brokerage Fees!) according to customer service reply to Bob_McBob.

IGNORE the edit below.

EDIT:

1. Check how much brokerage will cost; From toronto_slim below here is the UPS linky. See if the final price is worth it.

2. Follow storys suggestion and clear the bag yourself to save on the brokerage fee.
23 replies
Nov 23, 2009
30 posts
12 upvotes
Cool find... But I have gotten horrible experience when shipping stuff from US to Canada via UPS. They charged me $80 "handling" charges (on top of the normal shipping fee which i have already paid)..... on a $400 item. Don't know if I'll risk that ever again. :/
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2361 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
nemein wrote: Cool find... But I have gotten horrible experience when shipping stuff from US to Canada via UPS. They charged me $80 "handling" charges (on top of the normal shipping fee which i have already paid)..... on a $400 item. Don't know if I'll risk that ever again. :/
was it shipped UPS ground?
Nov 23, 2009
30 posts
12 upvotes
Fatman wrote: was it shipped UPS ground?
I believe so. Oh, and I just looked it up and those are what they call "brokerage fees", which are not even customs or anything - just something UPS uses to screw customers over.

The only way to ship international from US, cheap, seems to be USPS who collects at most $5 at the door.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
2361 posts
124 upvotes
Vancouver
or ship by anything other than UPS standard

All the air services have free brokerage.
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
They only charge brokerage fees on UPS Standard (ground service).
nemein wrote: The only way to ship international from US, cheap, seems to be USPS who collects at most $5 at the door.
$8 for express, actually.
"My fellow Americans, these are not the droids the nation is looking for."
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2445 posts
1273 upvotes
For UPS, just tell the driver you will be clearing your own brokerage and they will give you instruction as to HOW.

It's a long process though, took me an hour usually to do everything.
Jul 15, 2008
748 posts
662 upvotes
Calgary
Shipping makes these only warm imo. Great bags though, thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2863 posts
4093 upvotes
Toronto
nemein wrote: Cool find... But I have gotten horrible experience when shipping stuff from US to Canada via UPS. They charged me $80 "handling" charges (on top of the normal shipping fee which i have already paid)..... on a $400 item. Don't know if I'll risk that ever again. :/
UPS brokerage fees depend on declared value and the TYPE of UPS service. They do jump pretty fast: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1163 posts
210 upvotes
According to their checkout page, it looks like it's UPS International Express. That's not the same as ground is it?
May 5, 2003
197 posts
3 upvotes
London
I bought the Timbuk2 HAL from a sale on dell.com about a year ago and I can only say good things about it. I use it every day and it looks just about as new as the day I got it - they are extremely well built and wear very well.

I had it shipped to a UPS store in Michigan rather than worry about crazy brokerage/shipping fees.

Awesome products these guys sell!
Dec 17, 2005
270 posts
36 upvotes
Victoria, bc
Agreed. Have had a bad experience with UPS when not shipped from Canada, pretty much charged same for a $400 item. Some will say, "but if it's ground express" or "super saver" and so on. But for me it's stressfull waiting for a package wondering if I'm going to be screwed again by them. I always email and ask a seller if they will send parcel post (if UPS is their delivery). If not, no deal. Steve Jobs was right, if I don't like it I can take my business elsewhere!
Let's ride with the family down the street
Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.
Apr 3, 2010
876 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto
Quite true magicbc, that is why I edited the post with the ups brokerage fee page. One can know what the total price will be without any surprises. So far all the bags that I have seen on sale have not gone over $60.

$0.00 to $20.00 brokerage = -
$20.01 to $40.00 brokerage = $7.00
$40.01 to $100.00 brokerage =$19.45
$100.01 to $200.00 brokerage = $29.00
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
magicBC wrote: Agreed. Have had a bad experience with UPS when not shipped from Canada, pretty much charged same for a $400 item. Some will say, "but if it's ground express" or "super saver" and so on. But for me it's stressfull waiting for a package wondering if I'm going to be screwed again by them.
There is ONE UPS service that involved brokerage fees: UPS STANDARD. "Ground Express" doesn't exist, and Super Saver is Express (next business day from the States) without a morning delivery commitment. I agree you should probably have stuff sent by USPS if you're too ******** to ask that it not be sent UPS Standard or FedEx Ground.

All this misinformation about brokerage fees results in stuff like the guy I met recently who pays twice as much to have orders take 4-5 times as long by USPS from B&H because he's so afraid UPS will charge brokerage fees on EXPRESS.
Sep 21, 2003
615 posts
138 upvotes
Waterloo, Ontario
Soul_Rebel wrote: Quite true magicbc, that is why I edited the post with the ups brokerage fee page. One can know what the total price will be without any surprises. So far all the bags that I have seen on sale have not gone over $60.

$0.00 to $20.00 brokerage = -
$20.01 to $40.00 brokerage = $7.00
$40.01 to $100.00 brokerage =$19.45
$100.01 to $200.00 brokerage = $29.00
Except this is totally meaningless because Timbuk2 ships by UPS Express (confirmed with an e-mail to their customer service). The only thing you have to pay is sales tax.
Feb 13, 2003
208 posts
1 upvote
I dont know why I placed an order for this!

I guess I need a vacation :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2009
1926 posts
87 upvotes
90% of the replies have nothing to do with the item itself but instead with UPS. I find that a waste of time.
Dec 11, 2009
138 posts
49 upvotes
Vancouver
Timbuk2 bags are definitely very well made. I put a lot of things in mine which made it very heavy, but it hasn't worn out a bit. I didn't get mine in Canada though... any idea where they sell these here?
Nov 15, 2007
30 posts
5 upvotes
Looks like the black is now sold out. I ordered one and had it shipped to an Amerifriend who's coming to Canada soon.

I appreciate the discussion on UPS, as I wasn't aware of the difference in brokerage fees between UPS standard and express.
Apr 23, 2008
198 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
I own more than 5 timbuk2 messenger/laptop bags in various sizes. I used my large messenger bag to go to work everyday for over 2 years and it is still show no sign of damage. I switched to a more dressy leather bag now.

However, my large messenger bag is what I use as a carry on onto the plane when I go travel and then switch to the small one as my daily bag to carry my camera and windbreaker once I get there. Very useful and nicely build bags.

It is a nice find OP. Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)