• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2021 4:47 pm
[OP]
Dec 21, 2012
442 posts
549 upvotes
Winnipeg

Time to cancel Boxing Day

The days of waiting up until midnight, already logged in, to get the best deals are long gone. Boxing day sales are no better than sales any other time of the year. Used to look forward to boxing day, but now it's just another day. No really good deals to be had.
52 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1531 posts
491 upvotes
Seem to be good deals all year around and I am good with that.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
1894 posts
416 upvotes
Retail is hurting this year, I'm not surprised that the sales are meh (I did get a monitor and some lulu bras).

We'll see next year if the stores do a big "we couldn't do it last year!" sale or if they try to push everything thing online.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5043 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto
Unsurprisingly, the cupboards are bare.
Was on the fence about 1 item from Costco.ca (available all week), but OOS as of today.
This might be the first Boxing Day where not a penny is spent.
Time to rename it "Spend Zero Money Day".
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6145 posts
2204 upvotes
There are some good deals that are priced at all-time lows, but they're basically mostly the same deals as Black Friday. BF has taken the shine off of BD, basically mostly same deals, but BF people can buy to gift in time before Christmas. So anyone that wants anything probably picked it up on BF, before Christmas, no real reason for them to wait to BD. BD existed before Canada ever got BF, & it made sense back then, retailers wanted to clear some excess inventory after Christmas, before the new yr.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
2315 posts
396 upvotes
Boxing Day sales haven't been good for at least 10 years. If you expect them to be great, you're playing yourself.
Jan 1, 2012
85 posts
133 upvotes
Vancouver
I miss A&B Sound Boxing Day Sales 🥺
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2226 posts
1369 upvotes
North Vancouver
RFD604 wrote: I miss A&B Sound Boxing Day Sales 🥺
I agree, ah memories... https://bcisawesome.com/products/ab-sound-tee
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1918 posts
1154 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
RedFlagRobot wrote: Boxing Day sales haven't been good for at least 10 years. If you expect them to be great, you're playing yourself.
Absolutely 100% this.

The only deal was 14TB Easystore @ 259 BB but it was available a month prior from B&H @ 199USD with a net difference of about $9.

X900H $1399 BF now $1499 BD.

Best deal of Boxing Day is $12.99 LED strip on Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9517 posts
4723 upvotes
Markham
It's not Boxing Day is bad, it's your mindset need change
Nov 1, 2008
671 posts
452 upvotes
Canada
smartie wrote: It's not Boxing Day is bad, it's your mindset need change
That's what Bezos say
==================================================
[OP]
Dec 21, 2012
442 posts
549 upvotes
Winnipeg
smartie wrote: It's not Boxing Day is bad, it's your mindset need change
When was the last time you stayed up, already logged into Best Buy, waiting for midnight so you could add something to your cart and checkout before it was gone? It's been a while, I miss those days and the adrenaline rush, along with the feeling of gratification if you managed to snag one of the really good deals before it was gone.
Feb 17, 2007
241 posts
19 upvotes
Pretty sure someone posts this every year for the past 8 years or so. The best deals have been throughout the year for a while, that's what this place is dedicated towards. It's just that people realize that at different times.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5043 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto
foolosophy wrote: Pretty sure someone posts this every year for the past 8 years or so. The best deals have been throughout the year for a while, that's what this place is dedicated towards. It's just that people realize that at different times.
All of us reading this thread are also pretty sure that someone posts to remind us that sales happen all year long. Is this the living proof of Nietzsche's Eternal Recurrence?
Sep 29, 2014
193 posts
223 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I got an m10x from Bullseye North for $1,400. That's a pretty good deal for me.
Feb 17, 2007
241 posts
19 upvotes
shikotee wrote: All of us reading this thread are also pretty sure that someone posts to remind us that sales happen all year long. Is this the living proof of Nietzsche's Eternal Recurrence?

Time is a flat circle
Jan 21, 2012
139 posts
113 upvotes
VANCOUVER
foolosophy wrote: Pretty sure someone posts this every year for the past 8 years or so. The best deals have been throughout the year for a while, that's what this place is dedicated towards. It's just that people realize that at different times.
The annual "Boxing Day is dead" thread is, for me, a very special holiday tradition. I was actually surprised it took as long as it did to show up this year.
Last edited by lc39nav on Dec 26th, 2020 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
5043 posts
2852 upvotes
Toronto
lc39nav wrote: The annual "Boxing Day is dead" thread is, for me, a very special annual holiday tradition. I was actually surprised it took as long as it did to show up this year.
Someday, I will look back at my comments throughout the last decade, and will find I have been saying the exact same thing over and over and over and over.
Today however, the coldness of this Boxing Day is a unique experience.
May 28, 2013
53 posts
26 upvotes
Calgary
The best deals are during Black Friday. Boxing Day... well, not so much...