• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2018 11:08 pm
[OP]
May 29, 2014
264 posts
7 upvotes
ON

Time to get rid of my all seasons and get proper winter tires

I have a 2005 Hyundai elantra and looking for winter tires. Costco has 2 that are priced the same, Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 and Pirelli - WINTER ICE ZERO (STUDDED). Which one should I go for? and why?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5689 posts
2261 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
ultra99 wrote: I have a 2005 Hyundai elantra and looking for winter tires. Costco has 2 that are priced the same, Michelin - X-Ice Xi3 and Pirelli - WINTER ICE ZERO (STUDDED). Which one should I go for? and why?
Are you in Northern Ontario? Otherwise, studded tires are illegal in most of Ontario. If you're going to be driving on mostly plowed or dry roads, go with the X-Ice 3, otherwise, the Pirelli Ice Zero FR, Blizzak WS 80, Continental WinterContact SI, and Nokian Hakkapellita R3 are good choices.

If you're in Northern Ontario, go with the studded Pirellis.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8603 posts
3029 upvotes
Don't get rid of your all seasons though.

You will need them next year.
[OP]
May 29, 2014
264 posts
7 upvotes
ON
dealseaker101 wrote: Are you in Northern Ontario? Otherwise, studded tires are illegal in most of Ontario. If you're going to be driving on mostly plowed or dry roads, go with the X-Ice 3, otherwise, the Pirelli Ice Zero FR, Blizzak WS 80, Continental WinterContact SI, and Nokian Hakkapellita R3 are good choices.

If you're in Northern Ontario, go with the studded Pirellis.
No I'm not and I didn't know it was illegal. Anyway, I'll go with the X-Ice 3.
[OP]
May 29, 2014
264 posts
7 upvotes
ON
Gutty96 wrote: Don't get rid of your all seasons though.

You will need them next year.
I'll hold on to them, thanks.
[OP]
May 29, 2014
264 posts
7 upvotes
ON
Btw, when is a good time to install winter tires, I need to set an appointment at Costco?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3834 posts
3928 upvotes
GTA
ultra99 wrote: Btw, when is a good time to install winter tires, I need to set an appointment at Costco?
Driving on winter tires when it's still warm outside will wear them down more quickly.

The rule of thumb is that you need winter tires once the outside temperature drops to 7 °C. So towards the end of October and November I keep my eye on the forecast, a pick a weekend when it's going to stay that cold to change the tires over.

Same thing applies for when you take them off in spring: when outside temp is consistently over 7 °C.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10824 posts
2670 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Continental WinterContact SI
OR
Nokian Hakkapellita R3

The nokian tires being the best in the industry.

You should not have to change them until probably early Nov but totally depends on the weather, you wont know for sure.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Jan 19, 2017
421 posts
116 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote: Are you in Northern Ontario? Otherwise, studded tires are illegal in most of Ontario. If you're going to be driving on mostly plowed or dry roads, go with the X-Ice 3, otherwise, the Pirelli Ice Zero FR, Blizzak WS 80, Continental WinterContact SI, and Nokian Hakkapellita R3 are good choices.
is there a reason you'd chose X-Ice 3 over Blizzak WS80? i've had the Blizzaks on my old car for 5 winters now, and they've been amazing. we just got a new car (Subaru Impreza), and I'm looking for a new set of 4 winter tires. i'm deciding between Blizzak WS80, X-Ice 3, and Hakkapellita R3 (or R2?). thanks!
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10919 posts
7244 upvotes
GTA, ON
derass wrote: Driving on winter tires when it's still warm outside will wear them down more quickly.

The rule of thumb is that you need winter tires once the outside temperature drops to 7 °C. So towards the end of October and November I keep my eye on the forecast, a pick a weekend when it's going to stay that cold to change the tires over.

Same thing applies for when you take them off in spring: when outside temp is consistently over 7 °C.
This is the general rule and I completely agree.

One other thing to note though is that if OP is claiming a winter tire discount from their auto insurance, the insurance company may require the tires be mounted by a certain date and not be removed until after a certain date regardless of outside temperature.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!