• Oct 30th, 2017 10:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 20, 2009
90 posts
26 upvotes
Maple, ON

Is it time for a new vehicle?

So in true RFD fashion, I'm currently driving a 2000 Mazda Protege with 104000 km(it's a sandstone colour...i know it's not a beige corolla but it is really in good shape for a 17 yo car). I also have a newer (2016) minivan for my 3 kids under 7, but I'm starting to to wonder if it's time to start looking for a newer commuter car. I'm intrigued by a Chevrolet Volt, but am wondering if I should drive this car until it gives in?
27 replies
Aug 30, 2017
246 posts
94 upvotes
My rule is, I have to have at least one bulletproof, reliable car. I can then gamble on a beater, because if it dies on me, I'll be inconvenienced, but not completely screwed and in a rush to get a replacement.
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
253 upvotes
If it aint broke, don't fix it. (replace it)
Jul 8, 2017
97 posts
123 upvotes
Only 104k km? You have another 200k before replacement man. If your image is important, then yeah go buy something new.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1216 upvotes
aGincourt
Surprised the Protege isn't rusted to the point it's a death hazard?
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
363 upvotes
I'd keep it. They're fun little cars; just need to keep rust at bay.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2713 upvotes
ON
Mazda + 17 years?
It'll rust out soon enough.
I'd be starting the shopping process. Doesn't necessarily mean buy now, but keep your feelers out.
The best deals come along when you don't need a car. When you need one ASAP you often pay more or settle for something because it was in stock and available ASAP.
Replace on your terms, not out of necessity.
[OP]
Jan 20, 2009
90 posts
26 upvotes
Maple, ON
Ya, this car does not exhibit the typical areas of rust where Mazda's generally suffer from (I actually have people ask how it's possible that my wheel wells have no rust, and I have no answer because this car hasn't had any treatments at all unless the dealer did something and didn't charge us). I'm hoping to keep it going through the winter. I find myself looking for excuses to replace it, but the A/C works in the summer and the heat works in the winter. Little nuances like: no bluetooth, no PW, no power locks , keyless fob and no cruise control kind of bug me from time to time. I'm afraid if i wait too long I may miss out on the Gov't incentives for plug in EV's. It is an SE model that has a sunroof and AC with a 1.6l motor but that is about it for options, lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11886 posts
3543 upvotes
Ontario
Unless you have lots of regular or expensive repairs just drive it into the ground. It seems to be reliable so keep driving it until something major needs to be repaired.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3554 posts
2589 upvotes
Toronto
If you're only driving 100,000KM in 17 years, you'd probably save money using Uber, Zip Car etc.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5746 posts
1983 upvotes
Space
Depends. If you’re comfortable driving a 17 year old vehicle, drive it until it dies. 100k is nothing for that vehicle.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2625 posts
1105 upvotes
MARKHAM
sickcars wrote: Unless you have lots of regular or expensive repairs just drive it into the ground. It seems to be reliable so keep driving it until something major needs to be repaired.
No, that's a bad idea, what if the car broke down in a bad time and you had end up looking for an new car with no discount. Right now end of the year is the best time to look for best deal on 2017 model clearance. OP might as well start looking for those deal, insurance will be alot cheaper with new car and better equipped/safety wise, more enjoyable to drive as well.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2633 posts
1469 upvotes
ontario
that thing's just getting broken in at 104k

i scrapped an 01 with 300k+ a few months ago that i owned for nearly 200k. never once left me stranded, rust killed it. i would keep driving yours, they are reliable little appliances, 100% made in japan, that are cheap to insure.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36020 posts
22163 upvotes
Center of Universe
I can find you at least a half dozen buyers for your low mileage Protege :)
I wouldn't sell it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54767 posts
19562 upvotes
The protege must be consuming fuel at most half the rate of the minivan.

It's a great winter beater. Definitely wait until spring to sell, if at all.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2713 upvotes
ON
mathiewannabe wrote: You should probably get a leaf
OP seems to keep cars for 17 years, so absolutely not a leaf.
Volt history looks like the battery would last that, however.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11886 posts
3543 upvotes
Ontario
But the car only has 104k on it which is nothing. Car shows no signs (as far as we know) of major repairs which means its reliable. Any car even new can die on you anywhere.

As long as its well maintained which it sounds like it does why would you go spend 20-30k on a new car when this one is working fine, its just a bad financial move unless they need to change for example bigger car for kids, or this car has major issues etc etc.

JasonCao wrote: No, that's a bad idea, what if the car broke down in a bad time and you had end up looking for an new car with no discount. Right now end of the year is the best time to look for best deal on 2017 model clearance. OP might as well start looking for those deal, insurance will be alot cheaper with new car and better equipped/safety wise, more enjoyable to drive as well.
Dec 14, 2007
37 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
xxx.jpg
xxx.jpg
Greetings,

I just retired my 1992 protege SE, only 153,000 KM I really love this car. I purchased the car new and I have pretty well done all general maintenance on the car myself. (All new brakes discs, rotors and shoes drums and all brake cylinders as well a stainless steel mufler and much much more) This is relatively an Easy car to take car of.

You may ask why I let go? Well my wife had small front end accident couple of years ago and I managed to do some small repairs to keep it going, new radiator. The interior was almost new looking.

Well the other day one brake line finally rusted out on me. I managed to limp it home using the emergency brake. Only few blocks from home.

That was the final straw my wife and sons told me to get rid of it. Safety was the main issue and I did want to add a new brake line. I know I could have fixed the car, but I didn't want to take the chance. Rust was the killer even thou I had it rust proof many years ago.

If I was a younger guy and willing to put $2000 would have fixed this little car no problem.

Well purchased a really nice compact SUV, unfortunately my wife is to scared to drive it she says it to big.

I have a really beautiful 98 Grand Caravan LE low low mileage, which she won't drive.

I really miss my Protege Disappointed But Relieved Face. Keep yours unless it becomes unsafe to drive.

All the best!

Ps Sorry about double photo.