Off Topic

Time to start Canadian manufacturing!

Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3978 posts
252 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I agree emergency items like medicine and PPE should be made in Canada but other things from electronics to clothes its a free market.Companies choose the best way to max out profits.Don't blame the manufacturer blame the CEO's.People are dreaming high paying manufacturers jobs will flood back if you cut ties with asia,all your going to get is min wage jobs.The days of assembling washer machines for $20 an hour is over folks,keep on dreaming.
Last edited by gizmo8 on May 21st, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: I just want to take this opportunity to say, we should let our political leadership to know we want to start Canadian manufacturing again!

No more outsourcing to developing countries to save a few pennies so that the CEO can buy his 3rd house for this mistress!

Keep the jobs home and keep the people working! I'm a strong believer of this and even more so now!

We dont want to rely solely (majority?) on import/export to keep the economy running!
no thanks..why pay more for something? benefits of living in a "rich" developed country is increased purchasing power from offshoring manufacturing to lower cost countries. Why would we want more manufacturing? we should get rid of manufacturing and replace with services to increase value/income . you don't get rich by making physical goods for others.

also don't see how manufacturing goods in canada can be cost competitive with other places except for niche high end products.
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
loserga wrote: Paywall prevents viewing.
It works again?Black Question Mark Ornament
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: companies are already moving low value products out of china to cheaper places like sri lanka, bangladesh, vietnam ..but they're not dumb enough to move it to a developed country like canada lol
In towns not the metropolis, is manufacturing for domestic use meaningful and feasible?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
cybercavalier wrote: In towns not the metropolis, is manufacturing for domestic use meaningful and feasible?
Manufacturing require supply chain and logistics.

Also don't see how a small town can be cheaper and have more skilled labor than say Vietnam or Bangladesh for lower value manufacturing
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2234 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote: no thanks..why pay more for something? benefits of living in a "rich" developed country is increased purchasing power from offshoring manufacturing to lower cost countries. Why would we want more manufacturing? we should get rid of manufacturing and replace with services to increase value/income . you don't get rich by making physical goods for others.

also don't see how manufacturing goods in canada can be cost competitive with other places except for niche high end products.
Japan, korea, taiwan are industrial powerhouses that still make stuff for others and profit off it, but they also have technically competent people that can work in high tech industries.

Their education system isn't based on adding and subtracting feelings with colors.
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
ConsoleWatcher wrote: We can make cars in Canada easily. The question is whether people are willing to pay the extra cost. An automaker selling a car that was manufactured in Canada paying CAW wages had a hard time matching prices of a car manufactured in Mexico.
People keep asking are Canadians willing to pay the extra cost for a Canadian car and I'd say HELL YES as long as the product is well built and performs well. I mean people buy Mercedes, BMWs, Landrovers and other high priced cars so why wouldn't people pay extra for a good Canadian built car?

And I say this for any product and not just cars. Canada Goose shows that people around the world are willing to pay a premium price for a good quality product and conversely we see people complain all the time about cheap Chinese products that don't perform well, poorly made etc. so why can't Canada compete on quality and good workmanship rather than on making something as cheap as possible? Make Made In Canada be seen as a mark of quality and people who are tired of crap breaking so easily will have no problem paying extra for something well made and will last a long time. Canada Goose shows that we can do this, so why can't we start doing this for other products as well?
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga
StatsGuy wrote: no thanks..why pay more for something? benefits of living in a "rich" developed country is increased purchasing power from offshoring manufacturing to lower cost countries. Why would we want more manufacturing? we should get rid of manufacturing and replace with services to increase value/income . you don't get rich by making physical goods for others.

And that's exactly where Canada should be competing on. Producing well made products that people are willing to pay a premium for. You say why pay more for something, then why isn't everyone driving Corollas and Civics and other affordable, reliable cars instead of expensive ones?

I don't know why we would want to get rid of manufacturing when we should be increasing it especially in things like medical supplies and drugs so that as we've seen now, we don't have to go and rely on someone else for medical equipment when we need it the most and pay stupid high prices because its in demand right now. Also why wouldn't you want to diversify your economy so that you don't place all your eggs in one basket and as well it gives people of all skill and intelligence levels a job rather than making it hard for the less educated to find one.

And also manufacturing means raw materials and supply chains which are more jobs for people and the list goes on. I don't know why you'd be against that?
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3474 posts
2932 upvotes
doomhammer wrote: I just want to take this opportunity to say, we should let our political leadership to know we want to start Canadian manufacturing again!

No more outsourcing to developing countries to save a few pennies so that the CEO can buy his 3rd house for this mistress!

Keep the jobs home and keep the people working! I'm a strong believer of this and even more so now!

We dont want to rely solely (majority?) on import/export to keep the economy running!
Yes, good luck with that,

My Thai wife works for a company that is a major supplier to hundreds of manufacturers in Thailand. To everyone that thinks sex tourism is a major source of income in this country is gravely mistaken. It is just incredible how many international companies have a presence here and how have made Thailand a production hub of well almost everything. And now she is scared because some of the factories are moving to..... Vietnam.

Canadians are used to their 2000 free month now and still refuse to pay rent.

Real estate and immigration are the only solution. The country went down the toilet long time ago and will continue to go further down even more.

It's just plain entitlements and laziness.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3770 posts
1844 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: Yes, good luck with that,

My Thai wife works for a company that is a major supplier to hundreds of manufacturers in Thailand. To everyone that thinks sex tourism is a major source of income in this country is gravely mistaken. It is just incredible how many international companies have a presence here and how have made Thailand a production hub of well almost everything. And now she is scared because some of the factories are moving to..... Vietnam.

Canadians are used to their 2000 free month now and still refuse to pay rent.

Real estate and immigration are the only solution. The country went down the toilet long time ago and will continue to go further down even more.

It's just plain entitlements and laziness.
Is she Annie, and would you happen to be David?
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3978 posts
252 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Before the corvid 19 businesses were begging for qualify workers that paid decent wages.Restaurants had to shorten hours because they lack workers.Some of the same posters here blame immigration for everything they feel is wrong with Canada but we know they are so insecure with their life its easiler to blame some one rather trying to improve their skills to adapt to the open jobs that are available.Love how they blame the government for everything but are the ones that want government leadership during disasters or pandemics.