Off Topic

Time to start Canadian manufacturing!

Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
6631 posts
947 upvotes
Ottawa
MaximDude wrote: People keep asking are Canadians willing to pay the extra cost for a Canadian car and I'd say HELL YES as long as the product is well built and performs well. I mean people buy Mercedes, BMWs, Landrovers and other high priced cars so why wouldn't people pay extra for a good Canadian built car?

And I say this for any product and not just cars. Canada Goose shows that people around the world are willing to pay a premium price for a good quality product and conversely we see people complain all the time about cheap Chinese products that don't perform well, poorly made etc. so why can't Canada compete on quality and good workmanship rather than on making something as cheap as possible? Make Made In Canada be seen as a mark of quality and people who are tired of crap breaking so easily will have no problem paying extra for something well made and will last a long time. Canada Goose shows that we can do this, so why can't we start doing this for other products as well?
Some people buy Mercedes, Landrovers and BMWs but most don't. Foreign cars have the same quality as Canadian-built cars, and most people aren't willing to pay extra for something just because it was built in Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2017
3782 posts
1855 upvotes
BiegeToyota wrote: And this is the reason why Canadian economy is in the absolute pits. Maybe... Just maybe it was funny in the 80's when car manufacturing and consumer distributing had some legs.

Creativity disappeared long time ago in this country.
Ok David, thanks for sharing.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
3985 posts
253 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
What a load of crap people saying they pay more for a made in Canada product.So ConsoleWatcher is willing to pay more for a made in Canada product?.So a made in Canada BMW car that cost 20% more you would gladly pay even though quality is the same as one made in Mexico?.
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
How come blackberry limited has been owned by Chinese TCL (worldwide) BB Merah Putih (Indonesia) Optiemus Infracom (India) while the company was founded in Ontario? Then only Real Estate and Immigration remain in Canada?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7033 posts
1365 upvotes
Toronto
I am sure we are all prepared to pay more for Canadian made products, after all this is RFD where we come not to find the best deal possible but to find the worst deal possible.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
I have a genuine question... Shall Canada keep innovation in Canadian hands?.... Blackberry is an example, which is now owned by Chinese, Indonesian and Indian Companies.

Another news... TSMC to drop $12 billion on Arizona plant Chip-maker agrees to move high-tech production closer to important customers. May 15, 2020 -- 06:03 GMT (23:03 PDT)

The Exact Terms of TSMC’s Deal with Arizona Might Never See the Light of Day May 22 [2020].

Are there opportunities for Canadian companies in the global business world, such as the trade disagreement between China and USA? If yes, is business secrecy a good habit to secure information?
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7033 posts
1365 upvotes
Toronto
cybercavalier wrote: I have a genuine question... Shall Canada keep innovation in Canadian hands?.... Blackberry is an example, which is now owned by Chinese, Indonesian and Indian Companies.

Another news... TSMC to drop $12 billion on Arizona plant Chip-maker agrees to move high-tech production closer to important customers. May 15, 2020 -- 06:03 GMT (23:03 PDT)

The Exact Terms of TSMC’s Deal with Arizona Might Never See the Light of Day May 22 [2020].

Are there opportunities for Canadian companies in the global business world, such as the trade disagreement between China and USA? If yes, is business secrecy a good habit to secure information?
Blackberry strangled itself by it's own hands, by the time it was sold off to the Chinese all that was left was the name brand that IMHO had negative value.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3266 posts
384 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
cybercavalier wrote: I have a genuine question... Shall Canada keep innovation in Canadian hands?.... Blackberry is an example, which is now owned by Chinese, Indonesian and Indian Companies.

We were never going to keep our IP from larger economies. We simply don't have the resources and funds to protect them.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2016
3476 posts
2933 upvotes
MyNameWasTaken wrote: Ok David, thanks for sharing.
A lot of women here make more and have saved more than the average Canadian. They have absolutely amazing skills, probably from the hard life they had growing up. No Canadian can match that.

Maybe your comments are based on TV programming or perhaps you went to Thailand and then you went straight to the bar?

I know it is perhaps hard to immagine, but even Annie's parents are probably wealthier than most here. That land they got from the government for farming which they pay no tax on keeps appreciating every year. And Dave bought them 2 buffaloes, so it's more free money for them. Yep.... that's how smart people make money and keep it in the family.

My wife is paid 5,000 Canadian pesos a month working for a Japanese company. My previous wife was working for Siemens with a similar salary. Where are these companies in Canada, lol? If I was smart enough to buy a condo here, I would have made 30% on currency exchange alone, never mind the appreciation. And people think real estate in Toronto is expensive. Makes me laugh.

https://th.jobsdb.com/th
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34190 posts
3909 upvotes
Winnipeg
Manufacturing can't be done without producing emissions, and Canada is far too gone to tolerate any emission.
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
loserga wrote: We were never going to keep our IP from larger economies. We simply don't have the resources and funds to protect them.
Do you think it is a defeatist mentality, and giving in to the following comments that people may think are rude? If they are not rude, still is the mentality good for the prosperity of the country of Canada?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3266 posts
384 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
cybercavalier wrote: Do you think it is a defeatist mentality, and giving in to the following comments that people may think are rude? If they are not rude, still is the mentality good for the prosperity of the country of Canada?
I think it is a realist's mentality, and that our close proximity to the United States while not having the potential of developing economies prevents us from gaining leverage with other large economies. In the 20th century America decided to export textiles, plastics, and semiconductor manufacturing to other countries, which relied on such industries to build up their economy and as a result developed the infrastructure to support a population which was ready to do mass-production of these products. By developing their own infrastructure, coordinating supply chains, and building up their own knowledge bases, these countries were depended upon by America to supply it with desired goods.

Canada was not one of these countries. It never had the population, the logistics, the infrastructure, the knowledge, to mass produce any of the above cheaply enough to satisfy America and other large economies. What Canada has are highly-specialized R&D facilities creating IP which local government and companies lack the capital to bring to fruition.

The question our decision makers need to ask now is if they choose to diversify from China, will it be Canada's own endeavour, or a joint alliance with the Five Eyes allies? Going at it alone is tough, and joining a trade organization is likely what's going to happen if they choose the former. Unfortunately for them, more likely than not China will be part of that trade organization. Should Canada join its Five Eye allies, it must be prepared to fight with them to defend its own interests.

Regardless of whatever decision they make, the vast majority of manufacturing is not going to come back to Canada. At best it will manage to negotiate decent trade terms with developing economies. Canada may be able to dictate the terms of diversification, but it will not be among the countries manufacturing is diversified to.
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
loserga wrote:
So given the contemporary situations, Canada could secure SOME from the US to establish SOME manufacture infrastructure for some products? Then diversify to global network of third or above industries to bring in population, logistics, infrastructure, the knowledge and the money to build assets.... that include immigration and real estate, although the latter two are sideshows of the big picture.
Mar 6, 2015
683 posts
50 upvotes
Meanwhile,
cybercavalier wrote: Use better our agricultural products and resources. Sell those extra milk to communities in Northern Canada, say Yukon and NWT. Especially, northern settlements of aboriginals.
rotjong wrote: How are you gonna do that? The dairy plants are producing 24/7 they can only produce so much cheese, powder milk, butter etc. the plants silos are full, but cows will not take a break they don’t care what’s happening, they want to be milked, so for the sake of the cows health the farmer still has milk his cows.
aviador wrote: Image
There are significant densities in
1) western Sask and southeast of Edmonton
2) Southeast of Regina and around Winnipeg
3) West of Toronto
4) East of Toronto
5) South of Quebec City
6) Between Charlottetown and Halifax
Find a town or city inside each area which also is located at road, rail or river traffic junctions to connect to farms and better at a central or middle location from most farms. That town or city shall specialize in dairy product production, milk, cheese, and other farm product including non-food. For those two towns in 1) and 2), are there recyclable biomass that can be converted to organic liquids, powders or bits which then can be shipped to make use of petrol industry facility in the provinces of AL. and SA? The profit must retain in the city that means legal and money issues.

In exchange of the dairy assets, what can Yukon and NWT offer to the provinces in the South?