• Apr 24th, 2019 3:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4263 posts
2796 upvotes

Time to swap summers?

It seems winter is over and no more snow? Good idea to swap to summers this weekend?
78 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14735 posts
10887 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
At night it still goes down to -5...not yet. If you are in the GTA.
cristianosham wrote: It seems winter is over and no more snow? Good idea to swap to summers this weekend?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
6062 posts
7312 upvotes
The NORTH
Do you have an insurance discount for winter's? What does your insurance company say? Mine is May 1st which is fine with me as summers don't do well in temperatures below 10' C and it's still -5 'C in the morning here.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3827 posts
3874 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you're only driving in the afternoons or can work from home if we get a freak snowstorm then sure, but for a DD i'd wait. When i leave for work in the mornings its still around 1 degree.

Cold weather and even snow seems to somehow surprise people every April. I don't get the rush to swap.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4547 posts
4772 upvotes
GTA
Last week I was considering it. But looking at the 14-day forecast right now temperatures are still hovering around the 7°C mark. Looks like I can still wait a week or two before it starts getting too warm.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5736 upvotes
I did mine last weekend. Sunday was a nice day to do it. 2nd or 3rd week of March is always my change over time. Insurance discount is Dec 1 to March 1 for me.

I forgot every season just how heavy those damn Armada wheels are. It takes me an hour just to do that vehicle, and I can usually knock the Sentra off in less than 30 min.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5736 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: You in Toronto?
Theres quite the slushy snow storm right now.
Pretty slippery and chilly which makes it worst.
Hence why i’m swapping mine out late April.
Also i have a RWD car which makes me more prudent with these kinda things.
Cobourg, but close enough. We got a bit of snow last night too. I don't think it will be keeping me from doing what I need to do today though. It will likely be gone as soon as the sun hits it.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Gutty96 wrote: Cobourg, but close enough. We got a bit of snow last night too. I don't think it will be keeping me from doing what I need to do today though. It will likely be gone as soon as the sun hits it.
Brave man. If you can afford to stay off the roads when it gets bad, kudos to you.

I was afraid of this happening today. On Firestone Indy 500s. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad; TC didn't kick in once when I was driving.

I think the tales of summer tires being completely useless in winter are greatly exaggerated.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5834 posts
1099 upvotes
Toronto
Already had all seasons on 2nd week of march
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5736 upvotes
Supercooled wrote: Brave man. If you can afford to stay off the roads when it gets bad, kudos to you.

I was afraid of this happening today. On Firestone Indy 500s. Surprisingly it wasn't that bad; TC didn't kick in once when I was driving.

I think the tales of summer tires being completely useless in winter are greatly exaggerated.
I have zero intentions of staying off the roads. It isn't like my vehicles will burst into flames if they touch snow without winter tires. Lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7176 posts
3641 upvotes
West GTEH!
waiting until mid-to-late April to swap out winter tires.
😎
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1109 posts
815 upvotes
Moncton
Ecsta wrote: Cold weather and even snow seems to somehow surprise people every April. I don't get the rush to swap.
I like to get my winters off as soon as possible. The warm weather really wears winter tires rapidly.

I changed out the tires on my truck yesterday. I'll do the car in another couple of weeks.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3827 posts
3874 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
oIIIIIo wrote: I like to get my winters off as soon as possible. The warm weather really wears winter tires rapidly.

I changed out the tires on my truck yesterday. I'll do the car in another couple of weeks.
Winter tires are cheap and accidents are expensive. I'd much rather wear my winters a little extra than ruin my summers by using them in temperatures that are too cold for them (they can crack and be permanently damaged not to mention grip horribly). If you have all seasons it doesn't really matter because they're designed for a wider range of temperatures.

It was -2 when i went to work on Friday, and was snowy and icy on my errands today. March is too soon to change on a DD.

Just wait until its above 7 at nights then its a perfect time to change.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4651 upvotes
Montreal
lol down to bare pavement here 2 weeks, yet people have somehow eaten this ' 7 Celsius or less..winter tires' marketing folkore good. Don't care if it's -5 outside for a few mornings. I switched over March 18th not looking back. If you can't handle bare pavement on all seasons or summers at this point in the spring and still insist on winter tires, you shouldn't be driving at all.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3299 upvotes
Out west
Yes

No

Make a decision youself, each year its the same, ask random strangers for advice

Do it, or not.

This is my 7th winter on the same tires, I dont get anal about a few days of warm weather, mine will stay on for a few more weeks at least
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Apr 1st, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1500 posts
997 upvotes
Manitoba
I'll wait till later this month....Manitoba weather likes to throw curve balls in spring and I have precious cargo I have to pickup later this month.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
Ecsta wrote: Winter tires are cheap and accidents are expensive. I'd much rather wear my winters a little extra than ruin my summers by using them in temperatures that are too cold for them (they can crack and be permanently damaged not to mention grip horribly). If you have all seasons it doesn't really matter because they're designed for a wider range of temperatures.

It was -2 when i went to work on Friday, and was snowy and icy on my errands today. March is too soon to change on a DD.

Just wait until its above 7 at nights then its a perfect time to change.
+1

I really don't get this obsessive ocd to be cheap, esp for all the wrong reasons w potentially disastrous effects lol+smh.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.