• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2018 10:10 pm
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1033 posts
318 upvotes
Kitchener
Looks nice. But in description it says: Case Height: 12 mm. Is it really so thick? Really want it for my son but afraid of it...
Слава Україні!
Apr 2, 2009
306 posts
352 upvotes
vancouver
I got a Waterbury variation for the same price on boxing day. Yes, a little thick, but some really sharp looking options available at a great price. Gave up my OG Moto 360 for one and haven't looked back... Except I keep checking my wrist every time my phone rings!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1308 posts
958 upvotes
Montreal
Zhopa wrote: Looks nice. But in description it says: Case Height: 12 mm. Is it really so thick? Really want it for my son but afraid of it...
Thick is in! Panerai (or clones) are typically 15 mm height. Most diver's watches are pretty thick too, 13-14mm is pretty common.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1033 posts
318 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks! What watch would you recommend for 10 years old one?
randomroyalty wrote: Thick is in! Panerai (or clones) are typically 15 mm height. Most diver's watches are pretty thick too, 13-14mm is pretty common.
Слава Україні!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1308 posts
958 upvotes
Montreal
Zhopa wrote: Thanks! What watch would you recommend for 10 years old one?
I would go and have him try some on. It is a matter of his taste as well...however if it's a gift I would probably get a Casio, they make appealing watches for kids, and they are tough and reliable.
Sep 23, 2010
59 posts
29 upvotes
Looks nice but why Timex fails to put the info about internals of the watch? Is it Quartz, automatic, rewind, solar? What is it?
Mar 17, 2006
644 posts
346 upvotes
mishky wrote: Looks nice but why Timex fails to put the info about internals of the watch? Is it Quartz, automatic, rewind, solar? What is it?
If they don't say what it is I would assume it's a regular battery operated Quartz. That's pretty much all you should be expecting in this price range.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1308 posts
1101 upvotes
Vancouver
ur_too_crazy wrote: If they don't say what it is I would assume it's a regular battery operated Quartz. That's pretty much all you should be expecting in this price range.
Seiko 5 are cheaper than this and automatic
Jun 30, 2009
832 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
dicecube wrote: Seiko 5 are cheaper than this and automatic
If Seiko makes a 5 series cheaper than this with an automatic chrono I'll buy it in a second! I wouldn't even care if it was hideous.

Thanks for the link OP. Looks like a good price.

@Zhopa Looking at pictures online the watch looks fairly large so if your 10 yr old has regular wrists it will probably look like a clock strapped to their arm. It's 42mm wide and 52m from lug to lug (this would be the big issue).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1308 posts
958 upvotes
Montreal
mishky wrote: Looks nice but why Timex fails to put the info about internals of the watch? Is it Quartz, automatic, rewind, solar? What is it?
Timex stopped making mechanical watches in 1982, but they did come out with an automatic homage to the Marlin last year. My dad had one of these in the 1960s and raved about it.

The only advantage with a mechanical watch is they don't need batteries. A good Quartz watch, especially a chronograph, will be a lot more accurate for a much lower cost.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2008
1605 posts
552 upvotes
dicecube wrote: Seiko 5 are cheaper than this and automatic
Bought a Seiko 5 automatic a couple of weeks ago and a mesh magnetic band, all in for $110 or so and am very happy with it.

@Zhopa Looking at pictures online the watch looks fairly large so if your 10 yr old has regular wrists it will probably look like a clock strapped to their arm. It's 42mm wide and 52m from lug to lug (this would be the big issue).

The one I got was 37mm case and i have smallish wrists. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002SS ... UTF8&psc=1

Was actually looking for this Timex watch but the Amazon Canada price is too high https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B2G ... PAVBPLQVBI
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1033 posts
318 upvotes
Kitchener
Thanks guys!

I just want him to get used to hands on the dial (not electronic time) :)

My older daughter says it's much easier to use dial clock then electronic when you need to add/subtract time. Hate when kids don't know how to use dial clock...
randomroyalty wrote: I would go and have him try some on. It is a matter of his taste as well...however if it's a gift I would probably get a Casio, they make appealing watches for kids, and they are tough and reliable.
Crappymonkey wrote: If Seiko makes a 5 series cheaper than this with an automatic chrono I'll buy it in a second! I wouldn't even care if it was hideous.

Thanks for the link OP. Looks like a good price.

jg123 wrote: Bought a Seiko 5 automatic a couple of weeks ago and a mesh magnetic band, all in for $110 or so and am very happy with it.

The one I got was 37mm case and i have smallish wrists. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002SS ... UTF8&psc=1

Was actually looking for this Timex watch but the Amazon Canada price is too high https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00B2G ... PAVBPLQVBI
Слава Україні!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1308 posts
958 upvotes
Montreal
Zhopa wrote: Thanks guys!

I just want him to get used to hands on the dial (not electronic time) :)

My older daughter says it's much easier to use dial clock then electronic when you need to add/subtract time. Hate when kids don't know how to use dial clock...
Casio makes a LOT of analogue watches....

Check on Amazon
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6864 posts
3382 upvotes
Debtario
randomroyalty wrote: Casio makes a LOT of analogue watches....

Check on Amazon
I recommend the Casio MDV-106, pretty much the best value analog quartz diver you can get for the money. I don't own one, but If I didn't have too many other watches I would!
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1308 posts
958 upvotes
Montreal
M1K3Z0R wrote: I recommend the Casio MDV-106, pretty much the best value analog quartz diver you can get for the money. I don't own one, but If I didn't have too many other watches I would!
I own one, and can attest that it is amazing value for the money. Very accurate watch and it looks a lot more expensive than it is, especially if you change the plastic strap for a stainless one.

However it is a big watch, maybe too big for a 9 year old wrist!
Nov 24, 2013
223 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
randomroyalty wrote: I own one, and can attest that it is amazing value for the money. Very accurate watch and it looks a lot more expensive than it is, especially if you change the plastic strap for a stainless one.

However it is a big watch, maybe too big for a 9 year old wrist!
Did you get the Rechere one from Amazon? If so, hows the quality?
Apr 12, 2003
88 posts
44 upvotes
Kelowna
randomroyalty wrote: I got this one.

Quality surprisingly good.
I have this same strap on my mdv and I second the thumbs up. Great looking combo and good quality.
"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing..."
Nov 24, 2013
223 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
randomroyalty wrote: I got this one.

Quality surprisingly good.
Dude_Here wrote: I have this same strap on my mdv and I second the thumbs up. Great looking combo and good quality.
How did you get them attached? I heard its awfully hard to do it on your own cause you have to sort kf bend the spring bar to get them to fit