Real Estate

Is the timing risky to buy an investment property?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2016 10:49 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
CJJ25 wrote: hi all, i am thinking of jumping in for an investment property (detached house in the suburbs).

is this the right time? if this is a primary residence then I wouldn't care less about the "housing bubble" talk because time is on my side. but with an investment property, is there such thing as timing the market? i guess what i am asking is if the market is risky right now for an investment property.

also, where can someone obtain rent report? to better understand what kind of rent a certain property in certain area can fetch?
Let's see.

- One of the longest uninterrupted runs in real estate price increases in history, especially in the last few years.

- Lowest interest rates in history and now sustained for quite a while.

It sure isn't bargain territory and you could easily get burned if you expect quick gains. I never do and buy for the VERY long term, ie 20 yrs +
Sep 1, 2013
403 posts
97 upvotes
colossk wrote: This x1000. If your looking to become a landlord, look at it long term. Look as the appreciation as a bonus, not your primary source of profits. I never touch a house unless it has has positive cash flow. For this reason I never buy single family homes, Always Duplex+ as it is much easier to have a positive cash flow including vacancies etc
That's just another way of saying, 'I have no idea which way the market is going, and I'm in it just for the yield'. If so, there are better and more liquid assets than real estate. Never invest in an asset class unless you have conviction on its medium- to long-term direction/fundamentals. (You can "trade" it without the conviction, but that's about all.)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)