Tim's start selling burgers, McDonald's respond with doughnuts

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 3:37 pm
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
442 posts
55 upvotes

Tim's start selling burgers, McDonald's respond with doughnuts

This was the Boston cream but they had about 5 flavours. $2.19 with a coffee.

Edit: changed image url since Imgur wasn't working

120 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12967 upvotes
At worst, they'd be par with Tim's since they have frozen crap.

At best, they'd fry them in house, but I'm not sure that'd make sense.

I'm genuinely curious as to the production process of these.

I would 100% laugh if McDonald's of all people made donuts fresh whereas a place that's "known" for donuts uses frozen junk.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16084 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
??? Was this McDonald's? Or McCafe?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8500 posts
2441 upvotes
Mississauga
.... so how was it... Confused Face
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2004
442 posts
55 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: At worst, they'd be par with Tim's since they have frozen crap.

At best, they'd fry them in house, but I'm not sure that'd make sense.

I'm genuinely curious as to the production process of these.

I would 100% laugh if McDonald's of all people made donuts fresh whereas a place that's "known" for donuts uses frozen junk.
Raggie wrote: .... so how was it... Confused Face
Unfortunately, it was on par with Tim's. Dense and didn't taste fresh at all. I'd be shocked if it turns out they aren't frozen.
playnicee1 wrote: ??? Was this McDonald's? Or McCafe?
I got it at the drive-thru at Markham and Finch so not sure. There was a big sign advertising them.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16084 posts
3502 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like they're just testing it out to see how sales go.
Only select locations seem to be offering them so far.
College and Spadina McCafe is a participating location, and possibly other McCafe locations in Toronto also...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sep 3, 2018
280 posts
157 upvotes
I actually like the baked goods more at McDs. So I would have to try this out.
Oct 2, 2018
285 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
While i love Tim Hortons for convenience and yes coffee, i absolutely hate the fact they put most other coffee chains out of business and now we're all stuck with frozen / rewarmed shoe leather donuts. I have tried to g out of my way to a specialty donut place but it's just not the same.

Will try out the McDonald's donuts, doubt they will be fresh and if it's just another frozen prepared item then it doesn't advance the cause.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8162 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
j8lam wrote: Unfortunately, it was on par with Tim's. Dense and didn't taste fresh at all. I'd be shocked if it turns out they aren't frozen.

I got it at the drive-thru at Markham and Finch so not sure. There was a big sign advertising them.
So McDonald's wins then because Tim's burgers are absolute trash even when compared to McDonald's or any other fast food burger joint for that matter.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12967 upvotes
j8lam wrote: Unfortunately, it was on par with Tim's. Dense and didn't taste fresh at all. I'd be shocked if it turns out they aren't frozen.
Honestly... it wouldn't shock me either.
Donuts are pretty special in terms of equipment need.
So it's at least par.
lensbuyer wrote: I actually like the baked goods more at McDs. So I would have to try this out.
Croissants are my favorite example.
They use *GASP* butter.
Guess who doesn't.
kenchau wrote: So McDonald's wins then because Tim's burgers are absolute trash even when compared to McDonald's or any other fast food burger joint for that matter.
It's not even a fair fight because one has cooking facilities while the other doesn't.
The only real competitor to Tim's food is Starbucks (and related) because they also don't have cooking facilities.
The difference is that Starbucks is smart enough to provide food within their means and not try to be McDonald's but without a kitchen.
Nov 3, 2011
309 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
Pro tip: When you order baked goods from McDonald's ask for it "Warmed" it's also a option when placing an app order. Im sure most people don't even know this! But makes it 10x better. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
5737 posts
1869 upvotes
It can't possibly be worse than Tim Hortons donuts
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14181 posts
26618 upvotes
Scarborough
lensbuyer wrote: I actually like the baked goods more at McDs. So I would have to try this out.
I'm not a fan of McDonald's muffins but all their other baked stuff I prefer over TIms. Definitely need to try out these new donuts.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3111 posts
1067 upvotes
Agreed McDonald’s cookies are a million times better than Tim’s
McDonald’s Muffins are a bit better than Tim’s too
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2032 posts
273 upvotes
Elsewhere in the world, McDonald's had something good and yet, they refuse to bring the shake shake fries over here. And what do they give us? F**king donuts!!!