• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2021 10:46 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes

Tinting Service in GTA

where do most RFDers go for car windows tinting in GTA? any good recommendation?

what is the diff btw ceramic and regular tinting?

need to get the front 2 windows tinted.

and what percentage is legal in Ontario for front windows?

thank you..
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
42 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
AudioHeaven

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: AudioHeaven
do u know what is the legal percentage of the darkness for front?
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14948 posts
11383 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
kiasu wrote: do u know what is the legal percentage of the darkness for front?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2261 posts
867 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Cheapo-Findo wrote: 30
Is that up to date because I had 15% on all my windows last December on an older car...

OP, check our SRS Tinting. They have 2 locations, one in Mississauga and one in Vaughan. Or, Auto-Links in Scarborough. Both does great work and both will honor the lifetime warranty from the tint vendor.

Ceramic is better, as it blocks out more UV rays, and it reduces heat better in the summer. If you have leather seating, it can also protect them better from the sun versus clear windows or non-ceramic in the long term. You're only going to tint your car once in its lifetime so don't cheap out.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4074 posts
2348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Cheapo-Findo wrote: AudioHeaven
+1

I've had my Benz tinted there, and it's been 2 years GREAT GREAT GREAT service and no issues!

I believe I went for ceramic tint (don't remember) but paid $350 comes with lifetime warranty. Worth every penny!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
www.Pureauto.ca

Legal level is 35%
Ceramic is a higher quality tint that keep more heat out of your car.
The regular stuff is cheaper and does not reflect heat as good as ceramic but still better then nothing.
kiasu wrote: where do most RFDers go for car windows tinting in GTA? any good recommendation?

what is the diff btw ceramic and regular tinting?

need to get the front 2 windows tinted.

and what percentage is legal in Ontario for front windows?

thank you..
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
sickcars wrote: www.Pureauto.ca

Legal level is 35%
The regular stuff is cheaper and does not reflect heat as good as ceramic but still better then nothing.
my new car rear windows came with tinted by stealership..wondering if that is ceramic..

is it pricey for them to remove?

or I will do the front 2 windows first..
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
16702 posts
4412 upvotes
sickcars wrote: www.Pureauto.ca

Legal level is 35%
just wondering do u have the source about 35% legal in Ontario?
I think it Is 30% as I read somewhere..and one of the RFder also mentioned
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Nov 19, 2008
339 posts
66 upvotes
Audioheaven, tinted front windows only to match existing tint from factory. As soon as I mentioned that they knew what % was best.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
its likely not ceramic as they want to save $ but who knows the tint shop should be able to check.
Might as well leave it just match it.
kiasu wrote: my new car rear windows came with tinted by stealership..wondering if that is ceramic..

Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12923 posts
4531 upvotes
Ontario
When I went to get my windows tinted I asked what the legal limit was and they said 35% which is what I did my car at. This was 4 years ago unless it changed or something?
kiasu wrote: just wondering do u have the source about 35% legal in Ontario?
I think it Is 30% as I read somewhere..and one of the RFder also mentioned
Deal Fanatic
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3002 upvotes
My tinting place also told me 35. And that they do not do anything darker to avoid problems.

OP, do a search on the board for recommendations, and also on Google...

Example - https://www.tinting-laws.com/canada/#:~ ... %3A%20None.

"Ontario laws do not expressly specify whether front window tinting is legal or not. According to Ontario Highway Safety Act (linked below), you may not drive a vehicle if […] any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat […] substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle"

As you can see in that website, the 35% figure may come from MANITOBA LAW, the only province in Canada to specify percentages...

EDITED for clarity.
Last edited by Guest032984237 on Jul 22nd, 2020 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
867 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
All this speculation and no one looked up the actual laws with the Highway Traffic Act in Ontario:

Colour coating obstructing view prohibited

(2) No person shall drive a motor vehicle upon a highway where the surface of the windshield or of any window of the vehicle has been coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view of the highway or any intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (2).

Colour coating obscuring interior

(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

Basically, it's up to the police's discretion. As long as your tints doesn't completely block your views from inside the vehicle, you should be fine. Hence how some people like myself have 15% front and 5% rear. One my cars had 15% tint all around for years and never had an issue of getting pulled over.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1509 posts
1075 upvotes
First, I also recommend elevated auto for tint and PPF. The group buy is nice. Steven of Elevated Auto used to be the top installer and operations manager at Auto Links before he set-up his own shop a few years ago. He is a perfectionist, and is honest (e.g. for the PPF package on my car, he told me the package I selected from XPEL included headlights, and when I got the car back it turns out the package for my car includes rear bumper sill as well (he didn't know that before install) -- many shops charge extra for headlights and rear bumper sill.

As far as tint limits go, here is the complete answer:
There was a big buzz a couple of years ago when it was announced Ontario was imposing a 70% VLT limit on the front side windows for cars built after 1/1/2017 (and a 70% VLT limit means basically no coloured tint of any kind, as almost all cars have a light tint already imbedded in the glass (with VLT of about 80%).:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... -1.3657694

However, while this new law is not in the HTA, but is in the vehicle inspection standards for safety checks (for when you eventually sell the car).

This article explains it better than any article I've come across, with information directly from a spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Transportation:
https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/ ... tes-538272
Key part of the article:
So, there is a discretionary law enforcement component at play with window tinting, the same as licence plate covers. The HTA is used roadside by law enforcement, and all vehicles must be in compliance with the HTA.

Nichols added: "The new criteria for window tinting on passenger and light duty vehicles found in the Standard, which became effective on July 1, 2016, is used by a licensed Motor Vehicle Inspection Station technician solely for the purpose of conducting a safety standards certificate inspection when a used vehicle is sold. Compliance with the Passenger/Light Duty Vehicle Inspection Standard does not affect nor confirm compliance with section 73(3) of the HTA.

So basically, your risk of fines in Ontario is governed by the HTA, which still has the old discretionary limit (up to police officer to decide)). Most shops will tell you 35% VLT is safe, but 35% is not in the HTA.
For vehicle safety inspections when you eventually sell your car, the limit is 70% VLT. But whether that is flagged or not in a safety inspection depends on how diligent is the person doing the safety inspection. If it is flagged, then you would have to remove the tint to pass the safety.

The reasons people get tint include:
(a) like the look of dark windows
(b) want uV protection
(c) want heat reduction.

I got tint on one car recently, but went with 70% VLT ceramic because I wanted UV protection and heat reduction. Darker tints do look nice and I understand why people like that, but I didn't want darker as darker tint will impair you night vision (of course it does as 35% VLT means 65% of visible light is blocked -- not an issue during the day, but it does reduce vision at night). Now I know that even with 70% VLT tint, I will technically not pass a safety inspection (because 70% VLT combined with factory glass with about 80% VLT bring me well below the 70% limit, but I suspect a mechanic doing a safety inspection wouldn't even think to check the VLT with such a light tint.
Last edited by multimut on Jul 22nd, 2020 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1509 posts
1075 upvotes
kiasu wrote: my new car rear windows came with tinted by stealership..wondering if that is ceramic..

It's extremely unlikely that your dealership tinted your rear windows. What you are probably talking about is factory privacy glass. Many cars (particularly SUVs) come with very dark glass on the rear side windows and back window to prevent people from looking inside your cargo hold, etc.. This dark colouring is embedded in the glass itself.

Most people with privacy glass on rear windows will just tint the front side windows. Some people will apply a very light tint to the rear windows as well, as even though the privacy glass is very dark (about 20% VLT), it is usually tempered glass, not laminated glass, and tempered glass generally does not block UV-A rays -- so some people will add a light ceramic tint to provide UV protection.
Oct 13, 2010
647 posts
111 upvotes
DoItRightTints

Xpel Black Ceramic 35%
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21011 posts
5592 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Are you sure it is a 'tint' rather than dark OEM glass? Look at the top edge of the window to see if a film is present.
My vehicle is also 'tinted' in the rear, but it's actually just the OEM glass. No film applied.

I love the look of the tint and would like to get my front windows done... but I'm paranoid about being able to see my mirrors at night.
- casual gastronomist -