• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2018 4:53 pm
[OP]
May 9, 2006
869 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga

tiny hole in my pipe which is spraying water

I just noticed that hotwater pipe in my basement as tiny hole and its spraying water out crazy. I have a total home protection plan so plumber is included but they are busy and wont show up till Thursday. I have for now shut off my hot water so that water wont leak but is there something I can buy for few days so I can continue using hotwater? is there some kind of tape or patch? I am not a handy man so looking for something easy.
51 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2005
2314 posts
815 upvotes
I think you can get some kind of plumbing putty at any hardware store. You can just wrap it around the pipe and let it cure.
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. -Wayne Gretzky"
- Michael Scott
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
Would tell them water spraying out is an emergency situation and turning water off isn't really an option for you. They should drop what they are doing to come fix your pipe first as a priority.
djjungly wrote: I just noticed that hotwater pipe in my basement as tiny hole and its spraying water out crazy. I have a total home protection plan so plumber is included but they are busy and wont show up till Thursday. I have for now shut off my hot water so that water wont leak but is there something I can buy for few days so I can continue using hotwater? is there some kind of tape or patch? I am not a handy man so looking for something easy.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
485 upvotes
Rockwood
If you have a torch and the necessary plumbing equipment, solder and Flux you can just use that to seal the hole until they get around to repair it.

If you don't have any of that you can use a repair clamp, basically it's two hose clamps and a patch of rubber.

Last edited by None12 on Feb 27th, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2222 posts
1452 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
You are in luck, if you are near a Canadian Tire - they have tire tube replacements on sale this week:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/slime ... p.html#srp

Get one, cut off a piece to fit then clamp it over the leak with one of these, in the proper size:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/dunda ... p.html#srp

It would be cheaper than this product, which incidentally works quite well:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/magic ... p.html#srp
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12337 posts
8763 upvotes
Edmonton
You can do some of the suggestions here, and get by for a couple days. If it was my place, I'd probably turn on the hot water when I wanted to use it (to shower or whatever), and turn it off, especially if I was going to be out of the house or asleep.

But I'd be very concerned about WHY you have a leak suddenly, and whether your insurance repair person will do a complete checkup. It's not like there's moving parts to wear out... If it's corrosion, is there other areas that will fail? If it's a poor soldering job that finally failed, will they do a check on some of the other joints to see if they were done right?

C
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
686 posts
485 upvotes
Rockwood
I forgot to ask is it on a connection/joint or in the middle of a pipe?
[OP]
May 9, 2006
869 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
None12 wrote: I forgot to ask is it on a connection/joint or in the middle of a pipe?
It’ seems like at the connection.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17180 posts
9928 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
How old is the house? And what type of material is the pipe made out of? ie Copper?

If the house is about 40+ years old and you have copper pipes, you are close to if not exceeded the expected lifespan of the copper pipes as pipe's walls get thinner with use (especially hot water). As the pipes get thinner, one of the first signs of pipe failure is pin size leaks with more and more of them appearing as the pipe gets thinner still which will lead to eventual complete failure of the pipe walls - ie bursting of the pipe.
[OP]
May 9, 2006
869 posts
183 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote: How old is the house? And what type of material is the pipe made out of? ie Copper?

If the house is about 40+ years old and you have copper pipes, you are close to if not exceeded the expected lifespan of the copper pipes as pipe's walls get thinner with use (especially hot water). As the pipes get thinner, one of the first signs of pipe failure is pin size leaks with more and more of them appearing as the pipe gets thinner still which will lead to eventual complete failure of the pipe walls - ie bursting of the pipe.
its 35 years old house. and its copper pipe for sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2419 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
Was your home built between 1995 and 2007? Do you see that you have this Kitec "pipes" (I don't know what they're called)? I just found out about this. A friend of mine has to replace all of the plumbing in his condo. Actually, the entire condo is getting all of their plumbing redone.

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2015 ... t-you.html

Edit: Nevermind, you just answered my questions above.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17180 posts
9928 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
djjungly wrote: its 35 years old house. and its copper pipe for sure.
Then it's pretty darn close to the limit depending on the pipe they used (some copper pipe is thicker than others so if they used a thinner pipe to start off with...).

When I replaced large sections of pipe from my parent's house (which was about 45 years old at the time), the walls were so think that it was easy to bend the pipe with my hands as it just crumbled. Check your policy to see if re-piping of the house is covered (including re-drywall the locations where they need to get into the walls to replace the pipe) also for flood insurance from a broken pipe. When the plumber arrives, ask him about the age of the pipe and replacement and see what they say. Also, if they remove a section of the pipe for repair, keep that section and take it down to Home Depot or Lowes and compare the thickness to the new pipes - I'll bet you'll see a big difference.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4630 posts
1099 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ds2chan wrote: Was your home built between 1995 and 2007? Do you see that you have this Kitec "pipes" (I don't know what they're called)? I just found out about this. A friend of mine has to replace all of the plumbing in his condo. Actually, the entire condo is getting all of their plumbing redone.

https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2015 ... t-you.html

Edit: Nevermind, you just answered my questions above.
What's the difference between PEX vs Kitec? They look awfully similar.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2419 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
enwhyRFD wrote: What's the difference between PEX vs Kitec? They look awfully similar.
Sorry, I can't help you there. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to plumbing. Hopefully somebody else can help you answer that. I just found out about this so I did a quick search the other day just to get some more info. Apparently, insurance companies can deny your claim if you have this stuff in your house because it's "well known to fail".
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6784 posts
3079 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Only as temp solution to minimize water spraying while using hot water:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1-in ... 05020.html

Repeat: Temp fix
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16533 posts
18096 upvotes
Oakville
LOL, so much for that total home protection plan. This is why you save your money and skip these plans that take your money then leave you hanging. Without the plan you'd call a plumber and have them there the same day.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9654 posts
2063 upvotes
Edmonton
enwhyRFD wrote: What's the difference between PEX vs Kitec? They look awfully similar.
Kitec is a brand. Pex is a type of piping (cross linked polyethylene). Kitec makes (made) their version of pex pipe, some of which were known to fail. There are many manufacturers of pex pipe.