Off Topic

Tipping Etiquette Relative To Cost of Meal

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 4:00 pm

Poll: How do you tip?

• Total votes: 180. You have voted on this poll.
Fixed dollar amount

12%
Percentage of the cost of the meal

72%
I don't tip. (Please state who you are and if you got in trouble with it).

16%
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12943 posts
2347 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Tipping Etiquette Relative To Cost of Meal

This topic has been beaten to death but this part of tipping may not have been thought about much. Why is it that if I go to a restaurant and ordered a $15 salad, I'm entitled to tip less than a $30 steak entree? The server is still doing the same job to serve me, bring me food to the table, put the plates away, and the whole nine yards. In what way does ordering a steak mean my waiter can make more in tips? If we really want to tip, shouldn't it be based on a dollar amount and not a percentage on the bill?
144 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40834 posts
4601 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Just follow social conventions and pay 15% tip give or take whatever you feel like that day.

Social conventions is just that. A set of cultural or social norms that everyone does to keep our society going... or to help us get a long.

Youre free to be a rebel. Its your god given right living in a democratic society. You can leave 0% tip and save the money. Just be ready to deal with some confrontation.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
9572 posts
9717 upvotes
15% across the board.

20% if it's good.

Never less than 15%, because we live in a society, and your face is your currency.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1515 posts
1025 upvotes
Canada
redflagdealsguy wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 2:09 pm
15% across the board.

20% if it's good.

Never less than 15%, because we live in a society, and your face is your currency.
So save your face by saving your currency...lol
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5489 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
I don't tip unless i got good service. Normal service = no tip
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
9572 posts
9717 upvotes
Redsanta wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 2:44 pm
So save your face by saving your currency...lol
No bro support for the wicked? Classic Zuck.

I've given my contact out to thousands in this community, I can't just go around not tipping like a mensch.
Aug 18, 2013
325 posts
217 upvotes
Toronto
This is definitely not a new idea OP - you are not the original person to ask why is it a percentage not a lump sum amount. I can easily ask why realtors are paid 2.5% commission (that's like 25K on a $1M house) as opposed to a fixed amount like 10K like lawyer fees)

Anyway. To answer your question, at fine dining establishments, the servers generally tend to you more, are more cautious about filling your glass, and they coordinate with other servers to clear your table and such. They are more sensitive to your needs without eavesdropping too much. You need to experience it to see what I mean.

I don't really like the idea of tipping either but I guess we are all sheeps to this regard.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28350 posts
14153 upvotes
Ottawa
I stick with 20%, but not shy to leave nothing if the overall service is bad.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8380 posts
977 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The idea of tiping based on value was that usually more $ = more things ordered so more work for the server.

Obviously you could just order a horribly expensive meal and it would in theory be the same amount of work as any other meal for the waiter.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2016
1256 posts
1001 upvotes
Toronto, ON
How much do you tip at MacDonald's or Tim Hortons?

Burger king?

Do the employees there work any less hard to deserve a paltry minimum wage while suddenly a sit-in restaurant demands different standards?

Why?

I also tip but realize how illogical some societal norms can be.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12943 posts
2347 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
between wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 3:12 pm
Anyway. To answer your question, at fine dining establishments, the servers generally tend to you more, are more cautious about filling your glass, and they coordinate with other servers to clear your table and such. They are more sensitive to your needs without eavesdropping too much. You need to experience it to see what I mean.
Oh yeah I know exactly what you mean. But at a regular restaurant like Moxies or The Keg, the service is the same whether I order a salad or the steak. It's just that the steak is twice as much as the salad so I'm "forced" to tip twice as much. Yet if I didn't order food and I just sat there, drinking water, I don't need to tip?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3589 posts
921 upvotes
Ottawa
...and what happens if you add a desert ($10) and a coffee ($5) to that salad. Surely the waiter deserves a lot more for serving you these 3 items versus just the steak. So why should you give the same 15% in both cases? I tend to tip based mainly on service rather than value of the meal.