Shopping Discussion

Tipping "movers"?

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 7:30 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
13818 posts
2948 upvotes
Vancouver

Tipping "movers"?

I have a moving company arriving this saturday to move my 1br around the corner from my current place.

Is it customary to "tip" the movers (3 men) And how much?

Thanks
39 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2252 upvotes
Thornhill
Anyone doing a "service" for you can be considered for a tip.

The amount is really up to you and how much you can afford for their service.
Banned
User avatar
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
78 upvotes
GTA
working for a moving and freight company i can tell you $20 each guy is the norm. people with much larger houses / mansions usually tip about $50 each guy.

of course if they are treating your items rough or dinging walls/breaking things i would forgo a tip and just offer to buy coffee.

i work with some real jerks and if the bed is a king size, or they have numerous boxes/items in the basement they will be short with the customer or not handle the items very well... it's embarrassing as it comes off bad on everyone and usually costs us getting a tip. but they shouldn't be expecting a tip since they make an hourly wage and it's their job to move you...

if they are nice and offer to do things for you that you didn't expect, treat your items well and take extra care with your house when taking things out/bringing things in then offer a tip.... it's all up to what you think is fair.
Sr. Member
Mar 7, 2011
675 posts
472 upvotes
Winnipeg
Really depends on the quality of work and how much they move, and how quickly...ya dig?

Id be more worried about the movers being x cons and scoping your stuff out for a future robbery. That being said...you should indeed tip and treat them well....also with that said is why I would never pay to have my sht moved.
Newbie
Feb 5, 2012
53 posts
3 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
How much should I tip the mattress delivery guys and there are 2 of them.

thanks.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
13818 posts
2948 upvotes
Vancouver
the stig wrote: working for a moving and freight company i can tell you $20 each guy is the norm. people with much larger houses / mansions usually tip about $50 each guy.

of course if they are treating your items rough or dinging walls/breaking things i would forgo a tip and just offer to buy coffee.

i work with some real jerks and if the bed is a king size, or they have numerous boxes/items in the basement they will be short with the customer or not handle the items very well... it's embarrassing as it comes off bad on everyone and usually costs us getting a tip. but they shouldn't be expecting a tip since they make an hourly wage and it's their job to move you...

if they are nice and offer to do things for you that you didn't expect, treat your items well and take extra care with your house when taking things out/bringing things in then offer a tip.... it's all up to what you think is fair.


Thanks mover :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
13818 posts
2948 upvotes
Vancouver
Dav326235 wrote: Really depends on the quality of work and how much they move, and how quickly...ya dig?

Id be more worried about the movers being x cons and scoping your stuff out for a future robbery. That being said...you should indeed tip and treat them well....also with that said is why I would never pay to have my sht moved.

Haha I talked with a former mover ( I don't know him) but he admitted moving companies are a rip off. But it is a service. And I'm not lifting all that stuff myself. Bad back. Enough said. It's worth it to hire movers in my case.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2968 posts
79 upvotes
deals881 wrote: How much should I tip the mattress delivery guys and there are 2 of them.

thanks.

nothing.....unless you ask them to do something extra or the job is a total pain and they do a good job.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2005
1528 posts
183 upvotes
Burnaby
Jeenyus1 wrote: Anyone doing a "service" for you can be considered for a tip.
Really?

Would you tip your doctor? A librarian? Your college prof? A police officer who shows up to deal with a traffic accident?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1203 posts
265 upvotes
OTTAWA
deals881 wrote: How much should I tip the mattress delivery guys and there are 2 of them.

thanks.

Do you tip appliance delivery people?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3981 posts
12497 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
deals881 wrote: How much should I tip the mattress delivery guys and there are 2 of them.

thanks.

nothing. it's not that hard to have 2 ppl move a mattress and boxspring or whatever from the truck to the bedroom. i've done it before with my mom.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
3981 posts
12497 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Rockymountain wrote: Do you tip appliance delivery people?

no. same reason as the mattress ppl. you don't tip those guys.

plus, many times you've paid over $50 for delivery anywyas.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 9, 2009
6685 posts
2918 upvotes
Montreal
stovetop wrote: nothing. it's not that hard to have 2 ppl move a mattress and boxspring or whatever from the truck to the bedroom. i've done it before with my mom.

While I agree that furniture delivery people shouldn't be tipped if you've paid for the delivery, I disagree with your reasoning.

You're not the only customer the delivery guys visit. They spend their day moving mattresses and other furniture up and down stairs and through narrow hallways and doorways. One is OK. Ten in a day is no fun.
Banned
User avatar
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
78 upvotes
GTA
i would never tip a delivery guy from leons / brick or whatever place you bought furniture or appliances. it's what their job entails and half the time they are either late or don't show up on the expected day costing you missed time off work or having to put your whole day on hold waiting for them.

having movers come to your house and move you to the next one is a totally different thing. you book them and they have a set schedule to keep. they actually handle all your belongings (aside from what you want to take yourself), they pack and unpack your stuff, they disassemble and reassemble furniture and etc. plus they load and unload the truck.

so it's much different than a couple of delivery guys hauling a fridge/stove/furniture into your house and/or taking the old stuff away. but once again, if it was a PITA to get it into your house and they did a good job and went above and beyond i guess you could tip (showed up on time and were fast and efficient and took the empty packaging, didn't damage your house).

once again, it's really up to how you feel about things and what you feel you should do.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18122 posts
9189 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: I have a moving company arriving this saturday to move my 1br around the corner from my current place.

Is it customary to "tip" the movers (3 men) And how much?

Thanks

Societal norms indicate that we should tip restaurant workers when we eat.
Societal norms indicate we should tip taxi drivers.
Societal norms do not indicate that we should tip movers / delivery people.

What you choose is up to you, however it's not generally expected to tip movers/delivery people. If you appreciate their job you may want to show your appreciation like you would anyone else, which could be as simple as bringing them lunch.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
568 upvotes
Wingding wrote: Really?

Would you tip your doctor? A librarian? Your college prof? A police officer who shows up to deal with a traffic accident?

I buy gifts for my doctor, i always gave gifts to my teachers in school. A police officer won't show up to a traffic accident anyways and when they do it's a few hours, with such poor service, no tip is required :D
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1203 posts
265 upvotes
OTTAWA
After reading the above few threads I get confused my tipping behavior. I do not tip appliance delivery people eventhough delivery is free. BUT I do tip pizza delivery guy. Yes, I find myself funny.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
645 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Depends. When I was working for a moving company, I ran my own crews. We did very well. We were also pros. We took care of the contents and the residences, That said, we also moved an awful lot of corporate and government types that never had to outright pay for their own moving expenses. Those people tipped rather well. We also moved some people that had to pay out of their own pockets. Occasionally, they tipped, but it was an unspoken rule, really that we would never expect a private hire to tip after they spent thousands of dollars out of their own pockets for a move. Also, it depended on the time of year. Dead of summer, we ALWAYS got tipped no matter how easy or hard the move was from either corporates or privates. (he he I said privates.) Also depending on the severity of the move, etc..... really up to you.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Banned
User avatar
Sep 16, 2010
843 posts
78 upvotes
GTA
did you find that the DND moves were the MOST disgusting and unprepared ones to do. plus when they are done they actually work a tip into the amount so that the person moving can tip us but later have it refunded out of the allowance.

but boy are they ever the worst moves ever.

one kid had a ton of old video games and posters, he turned down packers to come in and professionally pack it. the day we arrived he was drunk and hung over, didn't answer the door for over an hour then when we finally go in to do a walk around he isn't packed in any rooms at all... i was like dude seriously i am not sure we can move you today you were supposed to be packed and we are not equipped to do it since we were told you would be doing it.

so we had to go do a small commercial move to give him a few hours to at least pack some things.... that was a full 14 hour job just to load the truck.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
645 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
the stig wrote: did you find that the DND moves were the MOST disgusting and unprepared ones to do. plus when they are done they actually work a tip into the amount so that the person moving can tip us but later have it refunded out of the allowance.

but boy are they ever the worst moves ever.

Sure did. MOSTLY. Then you have these people that are actually grateful for having a free to them move and bent over backwards to accommodate everything. We once moved a higher up in the dnd and the lady of the house actually tipped us (5 guys) each $125 at the end of the day saying she was thankful she did not have to do much of anything. That was sweet.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)