Tipping staffers in Condo building during the holiday season

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2019 1:38 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2018
9 posts
4 upvotes

Tipping staffers in Condo building during the holiday season

Young professional and first time living in a condo in downtown Toronto (owner occupier). Middle of the road building, well managed. I have one of the small units in the building but not the smallest. Have concierge 24/7.

I would appreciate comments and input from owner-occupiers (or off-site owners for that matter) on your general practice to tipping the concierge(s), cleaning staff, superintendent during the Christmas holiday season. How much do you typically tip and to who do you include on your list? Do you need to tip the building manager and office staff/receptionist? (less daily interactions).
19 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13901 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
rfduser123 wrote: Young professional and first time living in a condo in downtown Toronto (owner occupier). Middle of the road building, well managed. I have one of the small units in the building but not the smallest. Have concierge 24/7.

I would appreciate comments and input from owner-occupiers (or off-site owners for that matter) on your general practice to tipping the concierge(s), cleaning staff, superintendent during the Christmas holiday season. How much do you typically tip and to who do you include on your list? Do you need to tip the building manager and office staff/receptionist? (less daily interactions).

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 11, 2017
382 posts
259 upvotes
I never usually tipped when I lived in a condo but on occasion when I had concierge provide me with excellent service or went above and beyond for me with a great attitude I’d give them a small token (gift cards, vip movie passes, etc.)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
2759 posts
2396 upvotes
Skynet Institute of …
Bribe
To the moon
Banned
May 21, 2019
199 posts
155 upvotes
I tip ZERO... because I dont live in a luxury building.. My building is just a regular condo building for middle class...

Its not trump plaza or some kind of high end luxury condo. Maybe the high end building staffs expect some tips.

rfduser123 wrote: How much do you typically tip and to who do you include on your list? Do you need to tip the building manager and office staff/receptionist? (less daily interactions).
Nov 26, 2012
324 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
I live in an average condo building and I tip the regular full-time workers (concierge, cleaners). I do not tip people who work random shifts. I also don't tip the property managers.

You don't have to though. I think most people don't, especially since half the building is tenants (maybe even more...). I choose to because I get a lot of packages and deliveries and interact with them a lot. I'm also someone who would notice a dirty hallway and ask for it to be vacuumed, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
rfduser123 wrote: Young professional and first time living in a condo in downtown Toronto (owner occupier). Middle of the road building, well managed. I have one of the small units in the building but not the smallest. Have concierge 24/7.

I'm on the Board of one of my condos and we (Board) give out giftcards ($100-$500) to staff as it's tax free for them and their company won't get a cut

I know residents do give GC to staff who they appreciate usually in gifts or giftcards too

It's entirely upto you on whom and amount and not expected but appreciated as some residents really do like certain staff who have made their experience great during the year
Nov 22, 2017
699 posts
411 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: Bribe
This is actually a thing, a while ago I used to live on a building catering to mid to low-income tenants and a lot of the times the tenants would bribe the property manager or superintendent to get things resolved/fixed quickly (i.e. painting, changing appliances, kitchen/bathroom cabinets, etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
Extrahard wrote: This is actually a thing, a while ago I used to live on a building catering to mid to low-income tenants and a lot of the times the tenants would bribe the property manager or superintendent to get things resolved/fixed quickly (i.e. painting, changing appliances, kitchen/bathroom cabinets, etc.)
That's how business works in real world too especially in corporate. It's actually how everything works
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3652 posts
714 upvotes
This is RFD. Like the tipping threads or the wedding gift thread, you are bound to get opinions ranging from:
- no. They are already paid to do their job, and
- yes. I appreciate their work.

With that in mind.... I think it depends on whether or not holiday gifts are budgeted as part of condo fees or not. Every building does it differently. I think they should get a gift but I wouldn't double gift.

I give holiday gifts and I think people should gift what they can. I've gifted $10-20 per person before up to a max of $50 (maybe $100, I can't remember). The staff here aren't random restaurant take out staff that you don't interact with regularly or hotel cleaning staff that you will never see again. Condo staff make your building really feel like your home.
- They often aren't paid that well. They don't exactly have the job mobility to get a job like you and earn a bonus. And yes, some of them probably have side gigs. One of the guys at my building also works at mcdonald's.
- Good help is hard to find. Would you rather want them to feel appreciated and want to stay?'

There's always the prerogative of the freeloader who doesn't care, doesn't need special attention, and/or benefits from other people's (condo owner's generosity). So just do whatever you want. But if you want to be nice... gift.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8078 posts
1624 upvotes
I worked as a concierge when i was younger.

Regular condo building, i'd get 1-2 boxes of chocolates and maybe a card with $20 in it. Minimum wage was $8 so, it was still something.
The more affluent condo would be $500-1000 in gift or cash cards, and bottles of wine, etc.

In the more luxury condo building, I had much closer 1 to 1 interactions with the people, and we were closer due to the low amount of folks living there (half the building was penthouses). I'd be invited for tea to their places, and get to know their families a little bit, etc.

In the normal condo, I couldn't name 1 person even if you would've given me $100 as a reward. There were hundreds of units with families in them. Add to that the traffic from their friends/exterior family coming to visit, and it was basically as busy as a mall.

Suffice to say I would sometimes turn down extra hours working at that condo, unless someone was sick/had a cold/etc.

I'd encourage you to give small gifts if you might want small favours down the line. For the super intended/building manager you can give something a bit bigger/better like a wine bottle instead of a box of candy.

Or you could tip nothing, and they dont know you exist, and will treat you accordingly. (i mean that, in a neutral way). There's nothing obligatory here, it all depends on your personality.

Side note: This is also a good time to re-gift stuff you received but dont like or wont use.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15193 posts
4943 upvotes
Here 'n There
tip if you don't want your packages to go missing...
Banned
Oct 30, 2019
193 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Another hidden of cost of condos? Think I’ll stick with my detached...
Jan 30, 2019
108 posts
67 upvotes
This year the condo Board set up a "Gratuity Fund" where we are invited to submit funds to be distributed equally. For those who want to tip on their own, management sent out a list of names and positions held in the building.

I prefer to give everyone but management (do you tip the manager at a restaurant?) something extra, because these people make my quality of life greater and are working for peanuts.

I don't consider any of it a bribe.

So give whatever you can/want, to whomever deserves it is my advice.
Nov 15, 2019
80 posts
33 upvotes
Interesting how a lot of people are saying that they don't tip the building manager. I know the building manager in my condo works hard and does an excellent job, so I would normally consider tipping her.
Sep 3, 2018
302 posts
162 upvotes
TorontoHSTRebates wrote: Interesting how a lot of people are saying that they don't tip the building manager. I know the building manager in my condo works hard and does an excellent job, so I would normally consider tipping her.
I thought the building manager would get a bonus at the end of the year. At least I think I have heard that from friends before.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
lensbuyer wrote: I thought the building manager would get a bonus at the end of the year. At least I think I have heard that from friends before.
The Board may choose to, but residents do as well I know as some really like their PM and appreciate the work PM solving or addressing their concerns throughout the year
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5040 posts
4129 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: How much do i tip the ttc driver on my way to work?
If it's same driver throughout the year, gc of $20 or more depending on how much interaction you had with them throughout the year and when did they help you out when they didn't have to