Tips for Car/Battery Maintenance while away on vacation

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 16th, 2018 9:33 am
[OP]
Mar 1, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote

Tips for Car/Battery Maintenance while away on vacation

Hey Folks! We will be gone for three weeks while our vehicles(2017 Subaru Impreza and 2007 Honda Civic) sit outside on drive way in frigid cold of Ontario winter. I have had a look at Tickle charger or battery tender, but none of them seems weather proof. I have someone coming up and cleaning driveway and vehicles while we are away but no one reliable to move the vehicles around. So I was just wondering what options do I have in the situation. I'm pretty sure that Civic battery would be dead when we return.
Thanks for your inputs.
12 replies
Aug 5, 2015
60 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The battery in the Impreza should be fine, when was the battery on the civic replaced? I would recommend instead of a trickle charger get a portable booster pack. Noco has some decent ones and the bonus is that once they are fully charged you can have them in your glove box incase your car dies in a parking lot etc.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6379 posts
2023 upvotes
BC
Thoughts:
- a healthy battery with a full charge before you leave should easily withstand 3 weeks in frigid temps.

- trickle chargers/tenders/maintainers designed to be optionally mounted in the engine bay are perfectly weatherproof

- the driveway cleaner person starting the two cars up periodically would result in a net drain unless cars were taken for at least a 20 minute drive
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16496 posts
9293 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Also, perform some basic maintenance on the battery before you go - ie. have them tested, check and clean the terminals, check the fluid levels... charging the batteries full before leaving is also a great idea.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2349 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm also going away for three weeks. My Murano will be driven so it's not an issue but my CivicX will stay put.

This will be the last time I take more than a week so don't exactly want to spend money.

What the worst cawe, I come home to a dead battery?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13824 posts
7961 upvotes
Toronto
boost it if it's dead when you get home.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16496 posts
9293 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
bembol wrote: I'm also going away for three weeks. My Murano will be driven so it's not an issue but my CivicX will stay put.

This will be the last time I take more than a week so don't exactly want to spend money.

What the worst cawe, I come home to a dead battery?
Yes. But if you come home to a dead battery, won't you have to spend money on it anyways?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16496 posts
9293 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Swerny wrote: boost it if it's dead when you get home.
Draining a car battery dead isn't good for the car battery - typically means that you have reduced the capacity of the battery. So, it's better to take precautions to reduce that chance.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6175 posts
3232 upvotes
Mississauga
Most car owner's manuals say if you're going to let the car sit for more than a week or so to pull the negative cable off the battery.

And why are OP's cars sitting in the driveway? No garage? Or garage too full of junk?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
853 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
I have one car parked all winter with a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up to it. Been doing it for several years and works like it's supposed to.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2594 posts
1213 upvotes
Have a Kirkland battery purchased in mid 2013. Left it for a month (Dec - Jan 2018). Thought it would not start, but it did.
The battery was probably close to a full charge, which is what will help the most to prevent freezing.