[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1189 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto

Tips on using my phone during Mediterranean cruise

Hi,

Does anyone have tips on how I can use my phone cost-effectively during a cruise? I want to use it primarily during shore excursions.

TIA!
Home Phone: $0 since 2016 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4600 posts
979 upvotes
Scarborough
I usually go on ebay and buy a Fly2Sim sim card. Depending on where you're flying into, some carriers have visitors sims that roam across most countries (Except for Turkey), but you have to bring your passport to the telecom store. For be it was too much hassle to save a bit, so I just ordered the sim online.
Dec 7, 2016
103 posts
34 upvotes
Put WhatsApp on your phone. It's free and as long as you have wifi and the person you are calling has the app and wifi you can talk for free! Brilliant little app! I use it in Mexico to contact those at home in Canada. You can text and send photos with it too.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35580 posts
9603 upvotes
Ottawa
Have you called your provider? They sometimes have packages for these short trips and you will retain your phone and phone number.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1189 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
funkynassau123 wrote: Put WhatsApp on your phone. It's free and as long as you have wifi and the person you are calling has the app and wifi you can talk for free! Brilliant little app! I use it in Mexico to contact those at home in Canada. You can text and send photos with it too.
Thanks. I will consider that but I also need a data plan if possible. There may not be wifi on areas that we want to visit.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2006
1189 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Have you called your provider? They sometimes have packages for these short trips and you will retain your phone and phone number.
I did. It's $7/day for Easy Roam. And it will use my monthly data plan. I'm going to check fly2sim as suggested by @GateGuardian , I think that's more economical and the data plan is separate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5964 posts
645 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Do you have Roam Like Home?

That should take over. $10/day if it falls into the roam like home zone
--
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35580 posts
9603 upvotes
Ottawa
jigsatics wrote: I did. It's $7/day for Easy Roam. And it will use my monthly data plan. I'm going to check fly2sim as suggested by @GateGuardian , I think that's more economical and the data plan is separate.
That seems like a pretty good price to me....and you use your own phone and don't have th change numbers and sim cards (if your phone is unlocked).
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
5527 posts
1920 upvotes
GTEH!
Pete_Coach wrote: Have you called your provider? They sometimes have packages for these short trips and you will retain your phone and phone number.
jigsatics wrote: I did. It's $7/day for Easy Roam. And it will use my monthly data plan. I'm going to check fly2sim as suggested by @GateGuardian , I think that's more economical and the data plan is separate.
+1. Probably the best , easiest option. Use your own #, don't have to swap out SIM card, and use what ever you have on your Plan.
For short term, not a bad price. For long term, 7 days or more, could be pricey.
😎
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10053 posts
2647 upvotes
almost all travel plans that I have seen always say "exclude cruise ships" , when I did a cruise, I found free wifi in every port in the caribean to use. if there was an emergency, the ship can make calls, or can be called, but it would have to be an emergency.
Mar 8, 2004
373 posts
193 upvotes
Kanata
I plan on using GigSky when I go this August.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35580 posts
9603 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: almost all travel plans that I have seen always say "exclude cruise ships" , when I did a cruise, I found free wifi in every port in the caribean to use. if there was an emergency, the ship can make calls, or can be called, but it would have to be an emergency.
There are no cell towers on ships, hence, "exclude cruise ships". Having said that, I have used my cell when entering a port or when very close to shore, it can pick up a tower if close.
WiFi of course, is a different situation. Almost all ships have wifi now...for a fee :)
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10053 posts
2647 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: There are no cell towers on ships, hence, "exclude cruise ships". Having said that, I have used my cell when entering a port or when very close to shore, it can pick up a tower if close.
WiFi of course, is a different situation. Almost all ships have wifi now...for a fee :)
but they do work on ships, maybe not all, I'm sure they have some sort of cell/booster/satellite route and if you use your phone while at sea, its super expensive.
May 5, 2012
156 posts
82 upvotes
jigsatics wrote: I will consider that but I also need a data plan if possible. There may not be wifi on areas that we want to visit.
In my last med cruise, I used the 3UK sim for data. Note that the data is only available at each port of call or when the ship is close to the shore broadcast towers. Buy one with preloaded credit from a UK based eBay seller, an all you'll pay is £20 + postage to mail it to Canada for 12gb of data (and there is cheaper price for less data). Just remember - even if you buy one including preloaded credit, you still need to activate the £20 plan in order to benefit from the free roaming in 42 countries. Otherwise, you'll be charged pay-per-use roaming rates that will eat your £20 long before you hit 12gb.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... it&_sop=15

The alternative is to use the Freedompop Global Sim. See RFD discussion below.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/freedomp ... s-1979711/
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35580 posts
9603 upvotes
Ottawa
rocking23nf wrote: but they do work on ships, maybe not all, I'm sure they have some sort of cell/booster/satellite route and if you use your phone while at sea, its super expensive.
Yes, you are correct...there are a few ships that have a "cell at sea" capability but, you will pay for it. When you can get your own provider cell service for land service and wifi at sea and land, why pay what will be an exorbitant fee?
https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1752