None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3889 posts
2837 upvotes
GTA

Tire levy on moving dolly??

Just venting, bought the $35 dolly at Princess Auto yesterday, and after checking the receipt I noticed they charged me tire levy!!! Whopping $8 added to my total. This is insane, will they charge the levy on everything now? Bicycles, baby strollers, wheelbarrows etc?? Will be returning the dolly first day they ooen Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
10 replies
Oct 22, 2016
630 posts
537 upvotes
Comox Valley
Well worth a vent. Is this levy mandated by the government, or the store?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8545 posts
2320 upvotes
Mississauga
Tommy74 wrote: Just venting, bought the $35 dolly at Princess Auto yesterday, and after checking the receipt I noticed they charged me tire levy!!! Whopping $8 added to my total. This is insane, will they charge the levy on everything now? Bicycles, baby strollers, wheelbarrows etc?? Will be returning the dolly first day they ooen Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Unfortunately it is on most tires.

I get you returning it but unless you find one used you will pay the levy everywhere. If its a great deal just keep it. Have a drink complain to your buddies and then forget about it.

The levy is a good thing for truck and passenger tires. Tires that are finished there lifespan are ending up where they belong. Where before the levy, tires ended up everywhere except where they belong.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3889 posts
2837 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Unfortunately it is on most tires.

I get you returning it but unless you find one used you will pay the levy everywhere. If its a great deal just keep it. Have a drink complain to your buddies and then forget about it.

The levy is a good thing for truck and passenger tires. Tires that are finished there lifespan are ending up where they belong. Where before the levy, tires ended up everywhere except where they belong.
I get your point, but these are 6" tires Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. And for the " proper place" for used tires- I spoke to truck driver loading used tires at Costco garage. He said the ones with good threads will be sold to small garages for resale, rest for scrap. So if they make money on my levy, then sell my old tires for profit, something is wrong.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1029 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
Tommy74 wrote: I get your point, but these are 6" tires Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. And for the " proper place" for used tires- I spoke to truck driver loading used tires at Costco garage. He said the ones with good threads will be sold to small garages for resale, rest for scrap. So if they make money on my levy, then sell my old tires for profit, something is wrong.
You can also sell your own used tires privately if you don't want someone else to make money on them. But tires are tires and the tire tax applies to them all. Maybe they should tweak it to apply to a certain size and above (like the 30inch screen size benchmark for the electronic eco fees) since hand dolly tires are something that rarely get replaced unless you are a UPS or similar type of operation using them. But they would just boost the tax on vehicle tires to compensate for revenue loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2564 upvotes
Mississauga
Staples sells dollys with no levy. (Ordered one for our office a few months ago).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15431 posts
12633 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
antigua1999 wrote: Unfortunately it is on most tires.

This ... a tire is a tire. Period

If proper disposal cuts down on the number of Tire Fires in Canada / NA then i say it’s a good thing.

Was a while back in the 1990s where they were happening way too frequently, and causing too much environmental damage to soil, water & air
Hagersville, Ontario (17 day fire = 12 to 14 MILLION Tires) residents still suffer for it today (30 years on) with cancers etc
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21789 posts
2590 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This ... a tire is a tire. Period

If proper disposal cuts down on the number of Tire Fires in Canada / NA then i say it’s a good thing.

Was a while back in the 1990s where they were happening way too frequently, and causing too much environmental damage to soil, water & air
Hagersville, Ontario (17 day fire = 12 to 14 MILLION Tires) residents still suffer for it today (30 years on) with cancers etc
To Ontario, a tire is not a tire when it comes to eco fees. There are 18 classes of tires with fees ranging from nothing (passenger cars) to $1238.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2305 posts
579 upvotes
This thread is very tiresome.