None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA

Tire levy on moving dolly??

Just venting, bought the $35 dolly at Princess Auto yesterday, and after checking the receipt I noticed they charged me tire levy!!! Whopping $8 added to my total. This is insane, will they charge the levy on everything now? Bicycles, baby strollers, wheelbarrows etc?? Will be returning the dolly first day they ooen Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
21 replies
Oct 22, 2016
907 posts
818 upvotes
Comox Valley
Well worth a vent. Is this levy mandated by the government, or the store?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8614 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
Tommy74 wrote: Just venting, bought the $35 dolly at Princess Auto yesterday, and after checking the receipt I noticed they charged me tire levy!!! Whopping $8 added to my total. This is insane, will they charge the levy on everything now? Bicycles, baby strollers, wheelbarrows etc?? Will be returning the dolly first day they ooen Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Unfortunately it is on most tires.

I get you returning it but unless you find one used you will pay the levy everywhere. If its a great deal just keep it. Have a drink complain to your buddies and then forget about it.

The levy is a good thing for truck and passenger tires. Tires that are finished there lifespan are ending up where they belong. Where before the levy, tires ended up everywhere except where they belong.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA
antigua1999 wrote:
Unfortunately it is on most tires.

I get you returning it but unless you find one used you will pay the levy everywhere. If its a great deal just keep it. Have a drink complain to your buddies and then forget about it.

The levy is a good thing for truck and passenger tires. Tires that are finished there lifespan are ending up where they belong. Where before the levy, tires ended up everywhere except where they belong.
I get your point, but these are 6" tires Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. And for the " proper place" for used tires- I spoke to truck driver loading used tires at Costco garage. He said the ones with good threads will be sold to small garages for resale, rest for scrap. So if they make money on my levy, then sell my old tires for profit, something is wrong.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1425 posts
985 upvotes
London, On
Tommy74 wrote: I get your point, but these are 6" tires Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes. And for the " proper place" for used tires- I spoke to truck driver loading used tires at Costco garage. He said the ones with good threads will be sold to small garages for resale, rest for scrap. So if they make money on my levy, then sell my old tires for profit, something is wrong.
You can also sell your own used tires privately if you don't want someone else to make money on them. But tires are tires and the tire tax applies to them all. Maybe they should tweak it to apply to a certain size and above (like the 30inch screen size benchmark for the electronic eco fees) since hand dolly tires are something that rarely get replaced unless you are a UPS or similar type of operation using them. But they would just boost the tax on vehicle tires to compensate for revenue loss.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9119 posts
3011 upvotes
Mississauga
Staples sells dollys with no levy. (Ordered one for our office a few months ago).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23443 posts
22398 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
antigua1999 wrote: Unfortunately it is on most tires.

This ... a tire is a tire. Period

If proper disposal cuts down on the number of Tire Fires in Canada / NA then i say it’s a good thing.

Was a while back in the 1990s where they were happening way too frequently, and causing too much environmental damage to soil, water & air
Hagersville, Ontario (17 day fire = 12 to 14 MILLION Tires) residents still suffer for it today (30 years on) with cancers etc
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22376 posts
3242 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This ... a tire is a tire. Period

If proper disposal cuts down on the number of Tire Fires in Canada / NA then i say it’s a good thing.

Was a while back in the 1990s where they were happening way too frequently, and causing too much environmental damage to soil, water & air
Hagersville, Ontario (17 day fire = 12 to 14 MILLION Tires) residents still suffer for it today (30 years on) with cancers etc
To Ontario, a tire is not a tire when it comes to eco fees. There are 18 classes of tires with fees ranging from nothing (passenger cars) to $1238.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2007
2579 posts
877 upvotes
This thread is very tiresome.
Banned
Apr 14, 2004
1394 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: This ... a tire is a tire. Period

I wonder if this guy would vent if he got charged the tax on Lego tires.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12232 posts
3222 upvotes
--
antigua1999 wrote: Unfortunately it is on most tires.

Are you sure they're being disposed of how they should? Because if it's anything like e waste ending up in huge landfills in third world countries then the fee is bullshit
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21496 upvotes
Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote: Are you sure they're being disposed of how they should? Because if it's anything like e waste ending up in huge landfills in third world countries then the fee is bullshit
That’s the point of it, to put a stop to that.
What *is* BS is not including this in the cost of the product like every other cost is included. Hiding it from the sticker price only to surprise us at the cash register should be illegal.
Feb 4, 2011
695 posts
477 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: That’s the point of it, to put a stop to that.
What *is* BS is not including this in the cost of the product like every other cost is included. Hiding it from the sticker price only to surprise us at the cash register should be illegal.
Coz it is not the "cost" of the product. It is a levy on top of the cost, just like recycle fee or taxes.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21496 upvotes
Vancouver
It is a part of the cost of the product. It’s the cost of following environmental regulation and should be included in the price. Just like the cost of following every other regulation. Retailers couldn’t get away with tacking on an elevator inspection fee or a fire extinguisher recharge fee or an import duties recovery fee or a minimum wage increase surcharge at the till. “Eco fees” are just as much a cost of the product as any of those and really should be included.
Feb 4, 2011
695 posts
477 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: It is a part of the cost of the product. It’s the cost of following environmental regulation and should be included in the price. Just like the cost of following every other regulation. Retailers couldn’t get away with tacking on an elevator inspection fee or a fire extinguisher recharge fee or an import duties recovery fee or a minimum wage increase surcharge at the till. “Eco fees” are just as much a cost of the product as any of those and really should be included.
Then taxes should be added to the price and displayed on the price label, just like UK. If I am a manufacturer, I wouldn't want my prices to include all the levys and taxes. If taxes and levys do not go to manufacturer, why should they be labelled as "cost"?

On that note, all the vendors, including amazon, seperate shipping cost as a seperate line item, even though the final cost for the customer includes shipping.
Banned
Apr 14, 2004
1394 posts
649 upvotes
Toronto
what I don't get is dolly tire tax > passenger car tire tax.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21496 upvotes
Vancouver
dealz4all wrote: Then taxes should be added to the price and displayed on the price label, just like UK.
I agree!
If I am a manufacturer, I wouldn't want my prices to include all the levys and taxes. If taxes and levys do not go to manufacturer, why should they be labelled as "cost"?
Not really sure what you mean. Manufacturers sell to retailers wholesale, and all of their costs are passed on, including import taxes, property taxes, etc.
On that note, all the vendors, including amazon, seperate shipping cost as a seperate line item, even though the final cost for the customer includes shipping.
Costco.ca doesn’t. Everything is “free shipping” with the cost of it all built in.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19655 posts
23012 upvotes
GTA
dealz4all wrote: Then taxes should be added to the price and displayed on the price label, just like UK. If I am a manufacturer, I wouldn't want my prices to include all the levys and taxes. If taxes and levys do not go to manufacturer, why should they be labelled as "cost"?

Agree, all taxes and fees should be required to be included in advertised price. They can show the fee/tax breakdown in the receipt.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)