• Aug 17th, 2021 9:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1130 posts
214 upvotes

tire opinion

Pirelli P Zero all season plus. ? for hyundai elantra GT?
13 replies
Dec 3, 2019
505 posts
461 upvotes
Ontario
My experience with Pirelli P Zero tires is the low thread-wear rating compared to a Michelin branded tires I had.

Also warranty. Buying Michelin tires at Costco comes with a pro-rated warranty if the tire cannot be patched.

Due to above I estimate the total cost of ownership of my OEM Pirellis from the dealer was 1.5x that of Michelins from Costco.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
That's a performance all-season tire. You'll be sacrificing tread life for more grip.

I think a regular all-season would be a better choice. Like the Pirelli P7 All Season Plus. That's what I have on my car.
Oct 25, 2020
460 posts
394 upvotes
Depends on what you want the tire to do.

It's a performance all season, it will give you better road feedback than most all seasons.
Generally you sacrifice a bit of ride quality due to using a stiffer sidewall construction.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
is this going to be just as a summer tire or will you use this in the winter too?

What are you looking for? more grip/better handling? or maybe better ride/longer life of the tire?
Penrose wrote: Pirelli P Zero all season plus. ? for hyundai elantra GT?
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver
If your looking for a performance all season tire I would choose the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus over the P Zero AS.

AS4 better on dry and wet than P Zero AS. PS4 just an overall better tire in every way worth the premium.

DWS06 Plus comparable to P Zero AS on dry but DWS06 Plus better on wet and manageable on very light snow/slush/sleet. I personally picked up a set of DWS06 Plus that I'll mount in September. I run summer tires so I don't care as much about dry performance care more about wet performance since I live in Vancouver and these tires will be on for the winter months.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4364 posts
3203 upvotes
Edmonton
Penrose wrote: Pirelli P Zero all season plus. ? for hyundai elantra GT?
This is more of a performance tire. For the Elantra, check out the Pirelli Cinturato line which is a touring tire and will give you longer tread life, that is unless you are actually looking for a performance tire.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver
starchoice wrote: This is more of a performance tire. For the Elantra, check out the Pirelli Cinturato line which is a touring tire and will give you longer tread life, that is unless you are actually looking for a performance tire.
Depends what year Elantra GT the newer ones have a peppy turbo engine and drive pretty good.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6838 posts
2613 upvotes
BC
starchoice wrote: ........ check out the Pirelli Cinturato line which is a touring tire ...........
To clarify, the term Cinturato is used in many Pirelli tires and relates to the construction of the plies - not a particular line of tires.

The Cinturato P7 All Season and All Season Plus are indeed rated as touring tires, but there are also Ultra High Performance Summer Cinturatos in V, W and Y speed rating, and a Winter Cinturato.

So care must be taken when choosing the appropriate Pirelli tire for one's needs, perhaps more so than for competing brands which have an easier to navigate naming structure.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1130 posts
214 upvotes
kev604 wrote: If your looking for a performance all season tire I would choose the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 or Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus over the P Zero AS.

AS4 better on dry and wet than P Zero AS. PS4 just an overall better tire in every way worth the premium.

DWS06 Plus comparable to P Zero AS on dry but DWS06 Plus better on wet and manageable on very light snow/slush/sleet. I personally picked up a set of DWS06 Plus that I'll mount in September. I run summer tires so I don't care as much about dry performance care more about wet performance since I live in Vancouver and these tires will be on for the winter months.
those definitely sound like worthy of comparison in the performance group. in the end I settled for a deal on a set of RT43 by General Tire. the rubber is more beefy than on the oem's, still they seem to
grip the road better which I notice in cornering and acceleration. I have ws80 blizzaks for six months/yr. well, on my next car..not necessarily brand new...I now have a few pre-selected new tires for it ..if needed of course. thanks for your feedback everybody.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver
Penrose wrote: those definitely sound like worthy of comparison in the performance group. in the end I settled for a deal on a set of RT43 by General Tire. the rubber is more beefy than on the oem's, still they seem to
grip the road better which I notice in cornering and acceleration. I have ws80 blizzaks for six months/yr. well, on my next car..not necessarily brand new...I now have a few pre-selected new tires for it ..if needed of course. thanks for your feedback everybody.
RT43 are a solid midrange choice General Tires are owned and made by Continental.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Agreed, good choice. They're comparable to the P7 All Season Plus.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1295 posts
567 upvotes
North York, ON
Penrose wrote: those definitely sound like worthy of comparison in the performance group. in the end I settled for a deal on a set of RT43 by General Tire. the rubber is more beefy than on the oem's, still they seem to
Good choice, Been using the RT 43 ever since they were released in 13? First on Lincoln TC, Grand Marquis (both RWD) and now on my AWD SRX. Have 67k on them and ready to order new. Snow, ice never a prob and as long as the snow is lower than my undercarriage have never had an issue. Entire family and most friends now use them after seeing them perform in the Winter.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6248 posts
2887 upvotes
Durham
Just go with Hankook or Kumho ... to match the Korean made. It's NOT even a performance vehicle ... waste of money.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2