Aug 22, 2012
244 posts
222 upvotes

Tire pressure gauge: Analog vs Digital

Hey guys,

Getting mixed opinions on accurate tire pressure gauges for car tires

Accutire digital: https://www.amazon.ca/Measurement-Limit ... 31&sr=8-15

Joe's racing analog: https://www.amazon.ca/Joes-Racing-32307 ... way&sr=8-1

My tires are 32PSI and the cheapo stick gauge from CT was off by 10PSI according to my dealership, so I need something better to check occasionally. I'd wait for a sale on the Joe's one if that's the way to go
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35263 posts
21251 upvotes
Center of Universe
I use the cheap analog ones and they are only off be 2psi.
Between the individual TPMS readings, tire guage pen and the inflator readout, I don't know which to trust...LOL
Sep 25, 2018
661 posts
1210 upvotes
I got a 1 dollar tire gauge pen from ebay and it was as accurate as mechanic's gauge.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2861 posts
1167 upvotes
GTA
I would definitely expect the Joes Racing one to be more accurate.

I have a 15 year old Autometer unit that still works well.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12160 posts
6702 upvotes
Brampton
I usually use digital because it's just easier to read.
Either way between the freeones I get from tire shops (keychains) and the $20 ones I get from stores they're all within 0.5 PSI of each of each other. Which Is good enough. They're usually accurate to 10 kPa.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1676 posts
1386 upvotes
denti72 wrote: holy jumpin'!!! $40 for a tire gauge!!!

I'm in the camp of el cheapo from crappy tire would suffice... i'm not racing so close enough will do.

Same price range as the ops 2nd link.

Of course you can by a $2 dollar store gauge which is enough for most people. But the Op wants something accurate.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4189 posts
3475 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Enforcer22 wrote: Hey guys,

Getting mixed opinions on accurate tire pressure gauges for car tires

Accutire digital: https://www.amazon.ca/Measurement-Limit ... 31&sr=8-15

Joe's racing analog: https://www.amazon.ca/Joes-Racing-32307 ... way&sr=8-1

My tires are 32PSI and the cheapo stick gauge from CT was off by 10PSI according to my dealership, so I need something better to check occasionally. I'd wait for a sale on the Joe's one if that's the way to go
I don’t think analog vs digital makes a difference other than digital is easier to read.

A good digital one will be better than a poor analog one.

And a good analog one will be better than a poor digital one.

Therefore, take into consideration things like reviews, warranty, research, recommendations, etc. Ive been relying on the cheapie pen/stick ones and you have me worried now...so I’m going to stay tuned here to see what gets recommended here at a reasonable price to upgrade mine for some peace of mind!
May 24, 2008
256 posts
194 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the joes racing analog one and its very accurate. It also have the button to release air without releasing the valve which helps. I need it to be very accurate for tracking/autox purpose
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3199 posts
1971 upvotes
Montreal
Been using this one for a few years, very solid and accurate enough for me. Tried those big dial type, pain in the butt to use and store. Had a few digital ones and after battery dies you'd have to buy a new one.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0002SQYTG/
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2737 posts
1970 upvotes
I use a Joe's racing gauge in my garage however Longacre is another very well regarded brand.
Smash that like button!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15696 posts
16859 upvotes
Oakville
I have a few digital gauges I got from crappytire for about $10 on sale. They're all pretty accurate. I also have an analog racing gauge but rarely use it. The digital ones are actually more accurate.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16038 posts
4871 upvotes
London
Remember the old school analog gauges that were heavy duty and were all metal?

Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1676 posts
1386 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Remember the old school analog gauges that were heavy duty and were all metal?

DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG

I still have mine, all metal, must be at least 50 years old. The small one even has a valve core tool. Small one made in England, large one made either in England, Toronto, or New York. Definitely not made in china...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5294 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
I have the same digital Accu tire gauge I got from ct 20 years back. Used it regularly on many cars through out the years. The latest car have TPMS and what shows on the gauge is same as what's shown on the car display.

Being a minimalist, buying something small, cheap instead of that bulking thing from Amazon. I remember buying something like the amazon one which was attached to my air compressor, but hardly use it.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
Two things I like about digital over analog are:
1) easier / faster to read
2) backlit for use in low light

But one bad thing I noticed about digital tire gauges and inflators is that they all seem to have a huge range on them. Usually up to 250 psi. I think it's generally accepted that a measuring device is most accurate when you're measuring something in the middle of it's range. So I can't imagine that trying to measure 32 psi on a 250 psi sensor is very accurate.

You'll notice that those fancy pressure gauges from Joe's, Longacre etc. give you the option to select 0-30 psi, 0-60 psi, 0-100 psi etc. So for example, a dragster with very low tire pressures would want to use that first option, a passenger vehicle with the typical 32 psi would use the second, and 3/4 ton pickup with 50-60 psi would use the third.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28369 posts
8816 upvotes
Similar discussion was had here not long ago:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... m-2268268/

I stand by what I said there--my Accutire has held up to the test of time (over 20 years, just like peteryourkuca) and has been better and more reliable than any mechanical gauge I've ever had. Mind you, I never had any expensive/premium mechanical gauges but pretty sure that first Accutire I bought was like $20 back then so not like it was expensive either.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1176 posts
781 upvotes
Go for a good analog that will last forever, be accurate, and never need batteries to be replaced. Hassle free, one less battery replacement cycle to worry about in life.

These days people buy *way* too many random battery powered items that inevitably have dead batteries when you need them some day.

Obviously replacing a $1 battery isn't a huge deal, but if you have 30 random battery powered items in your house that all randomly need batteries, to me that's a little annoyance that I'd rather opt out of.