• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2021 2:51 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 4, 2006
538 posts
102 upvotes

Tire Sizing

Hey guys!
So I own a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV
The Tire Size is 235/65/18
I bought Winter Tires that are 225/65/17
I'll also be ordering Steel Wheels that are 17x7 Hubcentric

Did I make a mistake and buy a Winter Tire that won't fit my SUV?
9 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver
Jimseee wrote: Hey guys!
So I own a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV
The Tire Size is 235/65/18
I bought Winter Tires that are 225/65/17
I'll also be ordering Steel Wheels that are 17x7 Hubcentric

Did I make a mistake and buy a Winter Tire that won't fit my SUV?
Because you went down in wheel size you need to go up in sidewall size to compensate the smaller steel wheels so a better fit would of been 225/70/17 however I checked Quattro and 225/70/17 sizing doesn't exist so in your case probably should of stayed 18s and stuck with stock spec 235/65/18 as that size offers a wide selection of tires. 225/65/17 still works but is a bit short and will sit a bit tucked in to the wheel well so basically the tire is a little too small. I checked again lol the difference between stock and new tire is - 5% so if your driving at 100km/h your actually going at 95km/h.

I know downsizing is a thing here on RFD to save a few bucks but unless you know what your doing and even if you did I personally wouldn't recommend it best just to stay stock spec as that maintains the original look of the car and maintains how the car was designed to drive and handle by getting smaller tires that dramatically changes how a car handles and drives just saying.
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 4, 2006
538 posts
102 upvotes
kev604 wrote: Because you went down in wheel size you need to go up in sidewall size to compensate the smaller steel wheels so a better fit would of been 225/70/17 however I checked Quattro and 225/70/17 sizing doesn't exist so in your case probably should of stayed 18s and stuck with stock spec 235/65/18 as that size offers a wide selection of tires. 225/65/17 still works but is a bit short and will sit a bit tucked in to the wheel well so basically the tire is a little too small. I checked again lol the difference between stock and new tire is - 5% so if your driving at 100km/h your actually going at 95km/h.

I know downsizing is a thing here on RFD to save a few bucks but unless you know what your doing and even if you did I personally wouldn't recommend it best just to stay stock spec as that maintains the original look of the car and maintains how the car was designed to drive and handle by getting smaller tires that dramatically changes how a car handles and drives just saying.
Thanks for your help! Will contact the tire company to see if I can get an exchange in sizing to original =)
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3340 posts
1935 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimseee wrote: Hey guys!
So I own a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV
The Tire Size is 235/65/18
I bought Winter Tires that are 225/65/17
I'll also be ordering Steel Wheels that are 17x7 Hubcentric

Did I make a mistake and buy a Winter Tire that won't fit my SUV?
Are you sure about the 18” tire size? Are you reading it off the sidewall.

According to Nissan.ca your 18” tire size should be 235/60/18. They also list the 17” size as 235/65/17.

225/65/17 is a little smaller (narrower contact width with the road) but is close enough to not be an issue.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1253 upvotes
Vancouver
Well yeah knowing your correct tire size would be a good place to start.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6248 posts
2887 upvotes
Durham
Jimseee wrote: Hey guys!
So I own a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV
The Tire Size is 235/65/18
I bought Winter Tires that are 225/65/17
I'll also be ordering Steel Wheels that are 17x7 Hubcentric

Did I make a mistake and buy a Winter Tire that won't fit my SUV?
https://tiresize.com/comparison/
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
[OP]
Sr. Member
May 4, 2006
538 posts
102 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Are you sure about the 18” tire size? Are you reading it off the sidewall.

According to Nissan.ca your 18” tire size should be 235/60/18. They also list the 17” size as 235/65/17.

225/65/17 is a little smaller (narrower contact width with the road) but is close enough to not be an issue.
kev604 wrote: Well yeah knowing your correct tire size would be a good place to start.
Thank you guys for replying to the thread and I apologize for the error in my msg I some reason panicked when I saw the tire size I purchased and thought I really made a mistake from the original sizing.. Just checked the tires on the car they are 235/60/18. That's a big error on my part.

Again sorry and thank you for your replies!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
According to Simplytire which is a good tire shop you can go down to 16" and it would fit 225-70-16 - http://simplytire.com/winter/nissanpdf.pdf
might want to call and confirm with them but I would rather go down to 16" for cheaper winter tire setup then 17"
Jimseee wrote: Hey guys!
So I own a 2021 Nissan Rogue SV
The Tire Size is 235/65/18
I bought Winter Tires that are 225/65/17
I'll also be ordering Steel Wheels that are 17x7 Hubcentric

Did I make a mistake and buy a Winter Tire that won't fit my SUV?
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
sickcars wrote: According to Simplytire which is a good tire shop you can go down to 16" and it would fit 225-70-16 - http://simplytire.com/winter/nissanpdf.pdf
might want to call and confirm with them but I would rather go down to 16" for cheaper winter tire setup then 17"
I would confirm that there is clearance on the calipers for that.

I know I tried to get 16's for my '14 Rogue and there were clearance issues.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3340 posts
1935 upvotes
Mississauga
KevinM56081 wrote: I would confirm that there is clearance on the calipers for that.

I know I tried to get 16's for my '14 Rogue and there were clearance issues.
I agree. Definitely worth confirming especially since the Rogue got a redesign in 2020.

The simplytire list has the 225/65/17 as the 17” tire size which is sized perfectly for old generation. The redesigned Rogue uses wider 235 across the model range on factory 17”, 18” and 19”.

Top