Wheels and Tires

Tire Warranties for AWD Vehicle - Canadian Tire vs Costco vs KalTire, etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2020 8:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
5549 posts
614 upvotes

Tire Warranties for AWD Vehicle - Canadian Tire vs Costco vs KalTire, etc.

Looking for new tires for my AWD SUV and am currently comparing tire warranty options between the major sellers (Costco, Canadian Tire, KalTIre, etc).

Let's say a few years down the road, if one of my tires were damaged beyond repair, the replacement tire must be within 2/32" to avoid mismatch issues.

Assuming that all 4 tires need to be replaced due to mismatch issues (as a result of 1 tire being damaged by a nail in the sidewall), does the tire road hazard warranty of Costco, Canadian Tire, Kaltire, or any other reputable shop cover replacement of the other 3 tires? I don't think so based on the warranty information I'm reading, but wanted to check here in case anyone has alternate information.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9554 posts
3827 upvotes
I can't speak for everyone, but I really can't see why they would replace your 3 good tires, because 1 was damaged. IT isn't a warranty concern that the tires are have been warm outside of the 2/32" tolerance ( which I find to be bit of a joke anyway, but that's a topic for another thread )
Nov 7, 2017
247 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I highly doubt it. If this was the case, people would be intentionally damaging tires LOL
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15187 posts
3525 upvotes
Toronto
Warranty only covers the damaged tire. If you have a part time AWD system, you might want to buy another new tire and put both new ones on the same axel. If you have a Subaru or any other full time AWD vehicle, you would be responsible to make sure that they all are within 2/32" to prevent differential damage. Keep in mind that some vehicles have torque vectoring and variable differentials where the onboard system detects the spin rate of one tire vs the other on the same axel and adjust the rotation speed as a result. The Acura with the Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) is one way this is done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SH-AWD.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3632 posts
2261 upvotes
Nev0513 wrote: I highly doubt it. If this was the case, people would be intentionally damaging tires LOL
People will be doing donuts.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6578 posts
2950 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.