• Jul 27th, 2020 9:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?

Tire and Wheel Claims with City

Submitted a claim with the city today because a pothole managed to dent 2 wheels and also rip the sidewall of both my tires.

Quick question since this is my first time doing a claim with the city. Should I be getting an estimate from a repair shop/stealership first, and then submit it to the city? Or make the repairs then submit the bill in?

Much thanks!
22 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27299 posts
12320 upvotes
Toronto
make the repairs and then submit. after all, the whole process of this claim can take months and months to get a hear back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?
booblehead wrote: make the repairs and then submit. after all, the whole process of this claim can take months and months to get a hear back.
Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5023 posts
2652 upvotes
Toronto
I am curious to see what the reply from city will be when it's budget is in negatives and will continue to be negative for coming years. Will they admit fault but say sorry no money or simply not take any responsibility.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21610 posts
2372 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: I am curious to see what the reply from city will be when it's budget is in negatives and will continue to be negative for coming years. Will they admit fault but say sorry no money or simply not take any responsibility.
The city's insurance will pay out claims. The fact they are broke does not change their liability.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?
peteryorkuca wrote: I am curious to see what the reply from city will be when it's budget is in negatives and will continue to be negative for coming years. Will they admit fault but say sorry no money or simply not take any responsibility.
Will update when i hear back. lol, i drove past the area today again and they had crews filling up the hole.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1019 posts
477 upvotes
The City's insurer regularly denies and claims they did their minimum maintenance. Don't forget you have 2 years for small claims court. Get pictures of the road on the date of, and a few days later.
Sep 7, 2007
263 posts
115 upvotes
Woodstock
secretalcoholic wrote: Will update when i hear back. lol, i drove past the area today again and they had crews filling up the hole.
Hope you got a picture of the pot hole and at least a picture of them fixing it. The fact that they're fixing it proves it was dangerous.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Update: City is claiming that a contractor caused this so I have to deal with the contractor directly now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27299 posts
12320 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Update: City is claiming that a contractor caused this so I have to deal with the contractor directly now.
wow. that's passing the buck. The roads are owned and maintained by the city, the city is really the one who is responsible for it and they are the one that should go after the contractor as they were the one who did the damage to the road. Looks to me your chance of getting anything reimbursed has just gotten less promising. Confused Face
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?
booblehead wrote: wow. that's passing the buck. The roads are owned and maintained by the city, the city is really the one who is responsible for it and they are the one that should go after the contractor as they were the one who did the damage to the road. Looks to me your chance of getting anything reimbursed has just gotten less promising. Confused Face
Yeah...its BS. The city is claiming that the contractor signed a contract with the City that included a clause of dealing with any damage claims. We'll see what the contractor says.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
27299 posts
12320 upvotes
Toronto
Your other possible recourse is to file small claims court. If you win, you can file a claim against the city with a legal judgement
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7909 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Update: City is claiming that a contractor caused this so I have to deal with the contractor directly now.
That happened to me as well. I went ahead and filed a small claim against the contractor and the City. The City pushed the contractor to pay up to get it off their books.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1071 posts
1395 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Jimbobs wrote: That happened to me as well. I went ahead and filed a small claim against the contractor and the City. The City pushed the contractor to pay up to get it off their books.
Thanks!! good to know, did they settle before court or you actually had to go through the entire court motion?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7909 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
secretalcoholic wrote: Thanks!! good to know, did they settle before court or you actually had to go through the entire court motion?
The full story: damage was caused by huge pothole created by City contractor. City insurer denied claim. When I followed up, the insurer told me it was the contractor's responsibility as they indemnify the City as part of the contract. So, I went after the contractor, Furfari, who ignored me for months. Even when I did manage to talk to them, they promised to send out a cheque for the amount claimed but never did so. Eventually, I filed the claim at Small Claims Court naming the contractor and the City. Immediately (within days) somebody from the City called me and told me the contractor would issue a cheque immediately to settle the claim. The contractor, who was suddenly available to discuss the matter, acted like I was being unreasonable in going to Small Claims Court and involving the City. However, the cheque would be ready for me to pick up at their offices immediately. Immediately after that, the City started calling me to close the claim which I promised to do after the cheque cleared. They clearly thought that was unreasonable. Anyway, the cheque cleared and I withdrew the claim.