Wheels and Tires

Which tire was where?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2017 9:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Member
Nov 29, 2013
409 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal

Which tire was where?

When Costco changed me to winter tires, they just put the tires in the back and I don't know which one went where (i.e. left/right, front/back). Is this going to be a problem regarding balance and uneven wear when I switch back in the spring?
6 replies
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2016
523 posts
498 upvotes
When you take it back in the spring they should be able to figure it out pretty easily. The tires are labeled with a inside and outside, and that way you can know which side the tires go on, then you pair them by tread for fronts and backs assuming you have a 2wd car.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
betercallsaul wrote: When you take it back in the spring they should be able to figure it out pretty easily. The tires are labeled with a inside and outside, and that way you can know which side the tires go on, then you pair them by tread for fronts and backs assuming you have a 2wd car.
That applies only for a tire with asymmetrical tread pattern. If it's a symmetrical tread there will be no need for an embossed 'inside' or 'outside'.

Directional tires will have an arrow for the correct rotation so will narrow it down to left or right side of vehicle.

If neither asymmetric or directional - no telling unless you or the tire tech. can spot wear patterns that suggest which corner a particular tire was on.

Amount of brake dust deposits may help - but not if they haven't been cleaned off in a long time.

It is fairly standard for tire shops to mark tires on the inner side with a grease pencil.
[OP]
Member
Nov 29, 2013
409 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Unfortunately when I got the tires home I washed them, so maybe it's a lost cause. They were from a brand new car and tires were only 3 months old with maybe 2000 km so maybe it won't have that big an effect?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
14045 posts
8133 upvotes
Toronto
brucen36 wrote: Unfortunately when I got the tires home I washed them, so maybe it's a lost cause. They were from a brand new car and tires were only 3 months old with maybe 2000 km so maybe it won't have that big an effect?
it's really not an issue then, 2000 KM is nothing.

Did the Costco tech perhaps mark the tread rather than the sidewall?

Grease pencil doesn't just wash off.

Are they on or off wheels? If still mounted, as other have said, you can likely tell right or left at least but i wouldn't worry about it.
[OP]
Member
Nov 29, 2013
409 posts
27 upvotes
Montreal
Swerny wrote: it's really not an issue then, 2000 KM is nothing.

Did the Costco tech perhaps mark the tread rather than the sidewall?

Grease pencil doesn't just wash off.

Are they on or off wheels? If still mounted, as other have said, you can likely tell right or left at least but i wouldn't worry about it.
Hi, still on the OEM wheels. i think the tires are bridgestone dueler. I washed both with car soap.
Member
Sep 7, 2007
267 posts
120 upvotes
Woodstock
brucen36 wrote: Hi, still on the OEM wheels. i think the tires are bridgestone dueler. I washed both with car soap.
Most tires nowadays are directional (arrow on the sidewall) in which case you'll know which side. If not, then you should be able to tell from the wear on the tread blocks. The front of the tread blocks where they touch the pavement would be worn down more from braking and the rear would have a feather edge. Front tires usually wear on the edges whereas rear tires wear more evenly, If you can't tell anything from the wear, then there probably isn't enough to make a difference. Just mark them next time before you switch.

Top