Tired of GPU hunting... higher end Prebuilt recommendations wanted

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2021 11:42 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
334 posts
236 upvotes

Tired of GPU hunting... higher end Prebuilt recommendations wanted

In general I’m against ordering pre-builts and prefer to build my own but I’ve grown tired of watching on discord groups, SubReddits, telegram chats etc. hoping to get one for a reasonable price.

Ideally I want a 3080 &/or a 6800 XT for as close to MSRP as I can get,I expect I’ll have to wait six weeks to two months anyway so I’d rather have a slightly longer wait Then paying flagship 3090/6900 XT numbers for lesser cards

If I did this back in February rather than trying to hold out to just buy a card I would already have a card.
so at this rate my summer of gaming is dead, hopefully I can get some late summer/early fall gaming in before my next Work contract makes me to busy to have enough time to play.

Ideally The pre-built would be more useful for my work Outside of gaming if it Was AMD-based, so while I’m not expecting a threadripper i’d probably go for a higher end Ryzen 9 because later this year I was planning on building in AMD system anyway so might as well kill two birds with one stone at this point.

But basically I’m looking for the best performance per dollar Without getting ripped off by these SI’s/OEMs

Of course if there are options that are not price gouging on GPUs but don’t have hardware I want otherwise I’m not against doing what so many other people are doing and flipping the rest of the PC to keep the GPU and either build a new PC or pop it in my existing.

what prebuilt manufactures are the least price gouge-y at the moment?
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6378 posts
1542 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ABS from newegg or cyberpowerPC from amazon
Feb 9, 2008
178 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Not ibuypower, apparently.
That youtuber has also been looking for a decent pre-built, but hasn't found one so far.
Not sure how legit his reviews are.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2017
334 posts
236 upvotes
And yet in the Linus tech tips secret shopper ibuypower has been winning twice in a row if I’m not mistaken, i’ve also been watching YouTube to try to determine which one is the best choice.

I also wonder about these SI’s or even OEMs how many F’s do they give when you’re getting $1000 system versus a $2000 versus a $3000 etc. would I expect/receive better quality control.
So far I haven’t seen a review or compare the same boutique seller with multiple tiers of system.

But that’s where I figure they’re probably more people in this deal forum that have caved the same way I’m contemplating to, compared to YouTube reviewers, and the more data I have the more informed choice I can make.

I’m also not afraid to completely tear down the system and make sure everything’s in order before running it, I’m not wanting to buy the system to be lazy other than the whole not wanting continue to hunt for a card thing.
Feb 9, 2008
178 posts
137 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There was also a costco sales thread in the hot deals forum with the MSI trident or whatever prebuilt, DOA or blue screening even after Windows reinstall.
Plenty of data here on what NOT to buy.
Also a thread here on dismantling Alienware for mining by fixing the cooling issues.
But plenty of issues with Dell like proprietary power supply and non-standard graphics card sizes.

I've read that people had luck getting 3070/3080 in-store at memory express and other shops.
Curious if you'd have access to that stock if you buy the parts and have them build it for you (maybe better luck calling a store).
They do have their own branded pre-built, including one with Ryzen 5, but I don't see 9 in stock.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1262 posts
473 upvotes
Vancouver
If you are ok with a 6800XT CC/Memory express can probably get you one easily if you order all the parts as a full build. They're not nearly in as high demand as the Nvidia card.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3947 posts
1118 upvotes
Might be able to get in on the 3080ti train early at Memoryexpress? Says on their front page website, they'll have 80ti/70ti available as bundles or systems. That way you can buy whatever component you want and either have them build it or build it yourself. Good luck!