tires for 2019 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 1:26 pm
[OP]
Mar 22, 2008
49 posts
3 upvotes

tires for 2019 Subaru Impreza Hatchback

I just leased a 2019 Subaru Impreza Hatchback, and I'm not impressed by the stock tires (Firestone FT140). I'll have the car for 4 years (and about 70.000 km), and I'm wondering what tires to get. My preference right now is to for all-weather tires, which I could put on the original rims, especially the Nokian WRG4 (the Michelin Crossclimate+ does not seem to come in the stock size of 205/50/R17), or some all-season tires with good winter performance like the Yokohama AVID ASCEND GT, or the Continental PURECONTACT LS (judging by the reviews on tirerack). Or are there better options? The alternative would be to keep the stock tires on, and get dedicated winter tires when the time comes, but that might be very unsatisfactory for the 7 months without snow (in the GTA). And what do I do with the Firestone's? Keep them? Sell them? And who would buy them?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5277 posts
2840 upvotes
Toronto
Since it's leased, go with the cheapest option.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4790 posts
699 upvotes
Burlington
Just keep the stock tires and get dedicated winters with separate rims.
Sep 25, 2018
659 posts
1203 upvotes
The all weather tires probably won't last you 70k. You probably need to replace them half way through.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2959 posts
2853 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If it was my car..

- Aftermarket wheels with dedicated winter tires (Yokohama IceGuard or Michelin x-ice if on a budget, nokian hakkapeliitta if not)
- Good summer tires (Firestone Indy 500's or Falken FK510s if on a budget, Michelin PS4S if not)
- Save the stock tires for when you have to trade in the car, you won't have to worry about new tires.

Aftermarket wheel+tire set should be easy to sell for a Subaru when you're done with the car and you'll have wayyyyy better performance.

The Nokian WRG4 are well loved by quite a few members on here, but they won't last 70,000 lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4150 upvotes
GTA
Winters and all-seasons (or summers) is the ideal setup. Anything else is a compromise.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2013
1572 posts
1882 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
tevion wrote: I just leased a 2019 Subaru Impreza Hatchback, and I'm not impressed by the stock tires (Firestone FT140). I'll have the car for 4 years (and about 70.000 km), and I'm wondering what tires to get. My preference right now is to for all-weather tires, which I could put on the original rims, especially the Nokian WRG4 (the Michelin Crossclimate+ does not seem to come in the stock size of 205/50/R17), or some all-season tires with good winter performance like the Yokohama AVID ASCEND GT, or the Continental PURECONTACT LS (judging by the reviews on tirerack). Or are there better options? The alternative would be to keep the stock tires on, and get dedicated winter tires when the time comes, but that might be very unsatisfactory for the 7 months without snow (in the GTA). And what do I do with the Firestone's? Keep them? Sell them? And who would buy them?
If I'm in your position, I'd go with the Michelin CrossClimate+
TFSA: XAW | RRSP: VEQT + VAB | Non-Reg: Dividend-paying individual stocks (tax purposes)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11133 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Get these all season tires, they are one of the best - Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Then get dedicated Winter tires/rims.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7472 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
I have used Nokian WRs since the first generation.

The newer generations have less winter performance to me but ride quality is not bad and they don’t wear fast at all.

To me, that actually defeats the purpose of getting them as the winter performance is not that impressive. The are relatively quiet and they ride pretty good and stand up to being V-rated (in mine).

Of course the best part is always on and no need to swap.

IMHO, this seems to be the wrong direction not differentiating themselves from all season tires that last >6-80000km.