49 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="mirellle" post_id="7414722" time="1221269803" user_id="181338"]I
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
There is a wide variety of Winter tires out there, and some are better on ice, some better on snow, etc. It depends on the kind of conditions you expect to find when you're driving.

If you get a lot of the deep snow go for the Nokians. The Toyo G02 is more geared toward the ice.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
I'm pretty sure winter tires turn to soup in summer. Not a good idea.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3917 posts
2187 upvotes
Toronto
I was using the Nokian WR last winter and it was really good...However, I'm also looking for another set of dedicated winter tires this season...

I'm kinda leaning towards the Hankook W409...but someone also recommend the General Altimax Arctic.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
mr_raider wrote: I'm pretty sure winter tires turn to soup in summer. Not a good idea.
Soup? That is new tire terminology to me. Please explain?

OP, winter tires are for the winter. Regardless of your personal feelings, the rubber compound for winter tires is meant to perform when the road surface is at a low temperature and then the road surface heats up, the performance of your tires degrade rapidly.
CBC did a good report on the benefits of winter tires in the winter;
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/get_a_grip/
Nobody ever did research on winter tire performance in the summertime for obvious reasons (OK, not so obvious for some but, they are called winter tires for a reason). Summer tires are for the summer, winter tires are for the winter and all season tires are a compromise.
Having said all that, if you only drive 8000k pr year and most of your driving is in the non wintry months (I live in Ottawa as well and while there are a few ugly days, it is as good as anywhere to drive), all season tires would be your best bet.
On those really bad days, don't drive and do everyone a favour. (no disrespect here, I don't drive on bad days either, it allows the city to clear the roads without having to drive around me).
Oh, and as for brand, you will get as many answers as there are brands out there. You clearly don't sound like a racer so performance tires, winter, summer or all season would be a waste of money for you (wait for the slams on that statement). All in all you don't drive much so most winter tires (if used for winter as they should) will do you just fine.
Sep 11, 2008
2 posts
Pete I realize that I don't really need winter tires but they were my favorite. I don't drive enough to have a set of winter tires and a set of summer tires. I've had some 4 seasons that I liked and some I hated.... What would you suggest as a good/excellent 4 season tire? I realize everyone has a different opinion, but I'd like to have yours. Thanks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)