[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3976 posts
1638 upvotes
Quebec

Tires shine, witch one?

Hi everybody,

In the past i used simoniz no touch tire foam. When first applied, they look nice, but when it dry... Turn brown very bad looking.

Anyone can recommend good working stuff that keep the tires sidewalls black?

I am thinking of purchasing and trying this one. Anyone can comment on this product? Or suggest another one? Thx

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moth ... 0760p.html
28 replies
Jan 8, 2015
373 posts
319 upvotes
Mississauga
HyperTech wrote: Hi everybody,

In the past i used simoniz no touch tire foam. When first applied, they look nice, but when it dry... Turn brown very bad looking.

Anyone can recommend good working stuff that keep the tires sidewalls black?

I am thinking of purchasing and trying this one. Anyone can comment on this product? Or suggest another one? Thx

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/moth ... 0760p.html
I used that one before. Its alright but will only keep the shine/darkness for a 1-3 days.

My current go to is

https://www.amazon.ca/Chemical-TVD_107_ ... B00FJIT9BO its a cream thats applied with a foam applicator. Has the wet look for about 1-2 days and the matte black look for over a week.

My brothers go to is

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/megu ... p.html#srp compressed aerosol spray. Wettest/glossiest dressing I've seen. This stuff will stain anything it touches. So be carefully. Got drip marks on my driveway that do not come off.

Remember the key to keeping it looking good is making sure the tires are clean first, then dry and then applied 1-2 coats depending if you want matte or gloss black.
Jan 13, 2007
491 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Does anyone know what product the car dealerships use? They always seem to do a better job which lasts much longer than the over-the-counter products I've used in the past. I've used the foam style but as HyperTech noted, I've had tires turn brown when dry. The spray style worked alright too but never lasted very long.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13666 posts
7801 upvotes
Toronto
clean the tires first with multi purpose cleaner and vinyl brush, that will get them back to black (or dark grey) from the brown colour.

Then use an endurance type gel or lasting protectant.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
1624 posts
730 upvotes
Ontario
I've always just cleaned them last with wash soap/tire brush, then use 303 Protectant on them with a microfiber. Gives them a nice satin look.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2980 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I just use whatevers on sale. The spray stuff isn't as good as the liquid but it's way quicker/easier to apply.

Trick is to clean them first and let them dry, and also don't drive for an hour or two to let it absorb.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2980 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sickcars wrote: Stop buying the cheap stuff at Crappy tire. Most of the detailing products they have are not very good.

Give this a try - https://www.carzilla.ca/gyeon-quartz-ca ... ting-400ml

Another option - https://carzilla.squarespace.com/mckees ... ating-16oz
Your tire shine honestly lasts months? I don't think i believe those product descriptions.. At least the CAD tire options are cheap to purchase lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I actually have not tried it yet, going to apply it for the first time once I'm done detailing my car in the coming weeks (if weather holds out) However its not uncommon for them to last a good amount of time compared to the cheap stuff.

I'm sure if you google the products you will find out real world results.
Ecsta wrote: Your tire shine honestly lasts months? I don't think i believe those product descriptions.. At least the CAD tire options are cheap to purchase lol.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2980 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sickcars wrote: I actually have not tried it yet, going to apply it for the first time once I'm done detailing my car in the coming weeks (if weather holds out) However its not uncommon for them to last a good amount of time compared to the cheap stuff.

I'm sure if you google the products you will find out real world results.
Honestly, I don't mind spending more if it lasts for as long as they claim, but when the cheap ones go on sale for under $10 and do a great job for a 2 weeks, it's hard to justify $50. Googling the products brought up mixed reviews (lots of complaints on amazon but they could just be applying it to a dirty car or something). You recommended it so that's why I asked you..
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I have had good luck with Gyeon with a lot of their products so I expect this to be pretty good just cant give you real world experience as I have it sitting at home to still try. I will likely try it in a few weeks, if you remember feel free to PM me and I can tell you how it is. Or maybe ask on a detailing forum im sure some of the guys have experience there with it if you want an answer sooner rather then later.
Ecsta wrote: Honestly, I don't mind spending more if it lasts for as long as they claim, but when the cheap ones go on sale for under $10 and do a great job for a 2 weeks, it's hard to justify $50. Googling the products brought up mixed reviews (lots of complaints on amazon but they could just be applying it to a dirty car or something). You recommended it so that's why I asked you..
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2980 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
sickcars wrote: I have had good luck with Gyeon with a lot of their products so I expect this to be pretty good just cant give you real world experience as I have it sitting at home to still try. I will likely try it in a few weeks, if you remember feel free to PM me and I can tell you how it is. Or maybe ask on a detailing forum im sure some of the guys have experience there with it if you want an answer sooner rather then later.
That'd be great; i'll probably forget but i'm sure i'll see your ghostbusters icon pop up and it'll remind me to bug you... I try to avoid the detail forums, those guys are a bit too fanatical for my tastes haha. I'm fine with my car having swirls and imperfections (its a DD), i just want it to look clean Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4575 upvotes
Alberta
Just wondering if there something out there that you can spray on to clean the tires but does not put a shine on them?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13666 posts
7801 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: Just wondering if there something out there that you can spray on to clean the tires but does not put a shine on them?
water?

clean them with a general cleaner and vinyl brush then skip the tire shine
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2980 posts
2893 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
jackrabbit000 wrote: Just wondering if there something out there that you can spray on to clean the tires but does not put a shine on them?
Just use the soapy water you use to wash the car (but do it at the end with the leftover) and some elbow grease. Will get it nice and clean. I do that if i don't want to bother with the tire shine.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4022 posts
4155 upvotes
GTA
Ecsta wrote: Honestly, I don't mind spending more if it lasts for as long as they claim, but when the cheap ones go on sale for under $10 and do a great job for a 2 weeks, it's hard to justify $50. Googling the products brought up mixed reviews (lots of complaints on amazon but they could just be applying it to a dirty car or something). You recommended it so that's why I asked you..
I agree with this. I've looked into boutique tire shines and none of them really justify the cost.

I like this Meguiar's product from CT. $10 for a can, which usually lasts all summer, and gives a nice satin shine which lasts about 2 weeks.

Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2825 posts
549 upvotes
Ancaster
derass wrote: I agree with this. I've looked into boutique tire shines and none of them really justify the cost.

I like this Meguiar's product from CT. $10 for a can, which usually lasts all summer, and gives a nice satin shine which lasts about 2 weeks.

This Meguiars product is actually very good and long lasting.....even compared to the expensive stuff from the Boutique shops like Eshine and Carzilla.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11152 posts
2912 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
So I installed the Geyon Tire shine Sat afternoon. Lets see how long it lasts. I daily the car and its parked outside, so should be a good test.
Ecsta wrote: That'd be great; i'll probably forget but i'm sure i'll see your ghostbusters icon pop up and it'll remind me to bug you... I try to avoid the detail forums, those guys are a bit too fanatical for my tastes haha. I'm fine with my car having swirls and imperfections (its a DD), i just want it to look clean Face With Tears Of Joy
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12074 posts
2220 upvotes
Mississauga
Tire/wheel cleaner (and NOT a tire shine spray). Spray on, scrub with a brush and rinse off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
3976 posts
1638 upvotes
Quebec
derass wrote: I agree with this. I've looked into boutique tire shines and none of them really justify the cost.

this product looks good, but i try to avoid "foam spray" product since i have bad experience with simoniz that turn my sidewalk into a brown clear after it dry and drive for a few days. for those that suggested me to "wash" the brown...thats not mud or dirty, its just make the tire turn brown....even its clean.

i just purchased last week this product.

for 9$ at walmart (same price on amazon)

and it turned my brown tires back to a nice and shiny black.

so far, i am very impressed with the product result for the price paid. ill let you all know in a few weeks how its hold.