• Feb 25th, 2020 9:43 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7214 posts
3554 upvotes
Montreal

Toilet leaking at the fill valve

I noticed it last night after flushing the toilet.
Seems like there is a leak at the fill valve. A few drops when flushing, then a couple of drops per hour or so afterward. (see pic below, there is a small drop of water forming for reference)
I cut off the water supply for now. Never fixed a toilet before (I'm not handy at all :)) but before calling a plumber, I'd like to hear if this is an easy fix. I thought something was loose, so I used a wrench to tighten the line in the pic, but that didn't do it. Is this a case of a bad flapper?
Images
  • 20200225_004702.jpg
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7264 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
Its not the nut on the braided line that leaking, if you look at the pic closely there is water on the tank above the braided line connection dripping down onto it. You can try tightening the nut on the threaded pipe that goes through the tank body, that thin white nut.

Probably will need to remove the braided line, remove that white nut and replace rubber washer on tank side....its washer on bottom of the tank fill mechanism. Turn water off first, flush toilet and have a bowl handy to catch remaining water in the tank.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7214 posts
3554 upvotes
Montreal
Zamboni wrote: Its not the nut on the braided line that leaking, if you look at the pic closely there is water on the tank above the braided line connection dripping down onto it. You can try tightening the nut on the threaded pipe that goes through the tank body, that thin white nut.

Probably will need to remove the braided line, remove that white nut and replace rubber washer on tank side....its washer on bottom of the tank fill mechanism. Turn water off first, flush toilet and have a bowl handy to catch remaining water in the tank.
You are right, i'll try that tonight, Thanks.
When I tightened the nut of the braided line, I noticed it slightly rotated the whole floater mecanism. Maybe because the white white nut is loose.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19685 posts
23066 upvotes
GTA
Looks like you have a bad seal. Probably best to get a new valve from home depot for about $20. You could just try replacing the seal, but chances are the other seals in the valve will also leak soon.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4059 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
Madevilz wrote: You are right, i'll try that tonight, Thanks.
When I tightened the nut of the braided line, I noticed it slightly rotated the whole floater mecanism. Maybe because the white white nut is loose.
If it rotated when you tightened the nut, that is evidence that the fill valve was loose, hence the leak. I'm guessing that the leak has beem fixed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)