Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1585 posts
982 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Toilet tank feed pipe

I want to replace the pipe that feeds the toilet tank. Can anyone tell me what this device in the center of the pipe is?

Also, I closed the main water valve and it did not shut off the water to the toilet. Shutting off the valve to the sprinkler system shut it off. Is that normal?
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3645 posts
1188 upvotes
Edmonton
Sievert wrote: I want to replace the pipe that feeds the toilet tank. Can anyone tell me what this device in the center of the pipe is?

Also, I closed the main water valve and it did not shut off the water to the toilet. Shutting off the valve to the sprinkler system shut it off. Is that normal?
Sounds like maybe you didn't wait long enough or shut off the "wrong" main valve? As in not the main valve.
Also your nose going thru drywall looks terrible. Whoever did that didn't do too good of a job.

You could have just shut off at the valve right there and cleaned up whatever spills out with a small rag?

Also usually it's just a straight flex hose going from the shut-off, maybe it was done for a bidet?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1585 posts
982 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tmkf_patryk wrote: Sounds like maybe you didn't wait long enough or shut off the "wrong" main valve? As in not the main valve.
I waited long enough. All the faucets in the house had no water. That toilet still did.
Also your nose going thru drywall looks terrible. Whoever did that didn't do too good of a job.
Yes. That is a hack job.
You could have just shut off at the valve right there and cleaned up whatever spills out with a small rag?
The valve was leaking. I wanted to install PTFE tape so I had to shut off the water.
Also usually it's just a straight flex hose going from the shut-off, maybe it was done for a bidet?
That makes sense. That's probably what it was for.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
Wtf !!!! You have "new" PEX water lines but turn of the century solid lines to your toilet tank ?
Change that crap with a braided flex toilet line and don't worry about what that piece of plastic crap in the middle was there for. Probably a bidet hookup or who knows what, what does it matter anyway.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17505 posts
10278 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Sievert wrote: I waited long enough. All the faucets in the house had no water. That toilet still did.

Yes. That is a hack job.
Total hack job especially if it's connected to the sprinkler system rather than the main shutoff.

Before you do anything, I would verify that what you found is the case... Then I would check to see if there's any way to run a 'normal' water line to the toilet and see where the hack happened (ie where exactly did they tap into the sprinkler system) and see if you can undo the damage (ie remove the hack and fix the pipe). You don't want to leave it connected to the sprinkler system!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2014
1585 posts
982 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
These are the valves. The labels were put there by the previous owner (the house was built in 1997 and I bought it in 2010).

When I shut off the valve labeled "main water shut off", it shuts off the water everywhere (I think) except that toilet. Only after I shut off the valve labeled "water sprinkler don't touch" did the water to the toilet shut off.
The pipe with the sprinkler valve does feed one sprinkler in the room and then continues up. I assume it is feeding the rest of the sprinklers. The pipe does split and connects to a pex pipe (with a pressure gauge along the way) that also runs up. I wonder if that's the pipe that feeds the toilet. Why would the sprinkler system feed other systems?

Also, shouldn't there be a main valve that is located outside? What happens if there's a leak before the sprinkler system valve?

The the pipe that feeds the sprinkler system pipe also feeds the pipe that has the valve labeled "main". Could it just be a case of mislabeled valves? Is the ball valve the main valve and the screw valve some secondary valve? I still don't know what that pex pipe that splits off of the sprinkler pipe feeds (only that toilet?).

EDIT: The plastic bag was concealing another valve that controls the flow to the pex pipe that splits from the sprinkler pipe. It is labeled with a "?" so the previous owner didn't know where it went either. It is in the "closed" position so it is obviously not feeding the toilet.

Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17505 posts
10278 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Sievert wrote: These are the valves. The labels were put there by the previous owner (the house was built in 1997 and I bought it in 2010).

When I shut off the valve labeled "main water shut off", it shuts off the water everywhere (I think) except that toilet. Only after I shut off the valve labeled "water sprinkler don't touch" did the water to the toilet shut off.
The pipe with the sprinkler valve does feed one sprinkler in the room and then continues up. I assume it is feeding the rest of the sprinklers. The pipe does split and connects to a pex pipe (with a pressure gauge along the way) that also runs up. I wonder if that's the pipe that feeds the toilet. Why would the sprinkler system feed other systems?

Also, shouldn't there be a main valve that is located outside? What happens if there's a leak before the sprinkler system valve?

The the pipe that feeds the sprinkler system pipe also feeds the pipe that has the valve labeled "main". Could it just be a case of mislabeled valves? Is the ball valve the main valve and the screw valve some secondary valve? I still don't know what that pex pipe that splits off of the sprinkler pipe feeds (only that toilet?).

EDIT: The plastic bag was concealing another valve that controls the flow to the pex pipe that splits from the sprinkler pipe. It is labeled with a "?" so the previous owner didn't know where it went either. It is in the "closed" position so it is obviously not feeding the toilet.

There should be a master shutoff somewhere outside of your house where a special key is needed to shut the valve off. Typically, you need to city to come by to do that but a lot of plumbers have that key as well.

I would check your assumption that the master shuts off everything but the toilet as it would be a good piece of information to know if you ever have to use it. I would also do the same with the water sprinkler valve as you have found out that there is already one issue... there could be more!

That red PEX pipe that is connected to your sprinkler seems to be cut off from the sprinkler system as the ball valve seems to be in the "OFF" position if I'm not mistaken so I doubt that it's feeding that toilet. However, that does beg the question of what that ball valve is shutting off and where that piece of red PEX goes.

Sprinklers should be installed by a licensed firm... see if you can find a label or a tag with the company's name. It might be worthwhile to have them come in and do a safety inspection and labelling. After all, you want to be sure that everything still works!
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4865 posts
4919 upvotes
Vancouver
Agree that the thing in the middle of the pipe is just a junction for another appliance like a bidet.

You should be able to turn off the toilet flow with the little oblong-handle valve at the bottom of your original photo. That's what it's for. But beware - these valves have a tendency to leak when shut off. Prepare to mop up water on the bathroom floor.

You must flush your toilet after shutting off the inlet to get water out of the tank, and you'll need to scoop and sponge out the remainder at the bottom of the tank that won't flush out. And of course there will still be a little water in the pipe itself that will spill out when you remove it.

The thing with the sprinker valve probably indicates that you don't have a proper backflow valve in the sprinker system to prevent water from running back into your house system. I thought the backflow valve was a code requirement in most cities?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4936 posts
768 upvotes
Calgary
I believe the sprinklers he talks about are fire sprinklers not lawn sprinklers. So no need for backflow valve. Probably someone just connected the toilet into that system. The take off for the "bidet" looks like it once may have been a pressure regulator which would make sense if the sprinklers are on full mains pressure?
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3789 posts
2785 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Wow, what a mess of plumbing.
Are you connected to municipal water, or are you on a well?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
The bidet has white PEX, so it wouldn't be the red PEX line feeding it and as mentioned before that line is shut off by the valve. If the toilet line is connected to the main bypassing the pressure regulator and you have very high pressure in your main, I'd be weary of leaks that might develop. I honestly don't trust PEX all that much at the joints.

Ps. I like the cardboard wire protection...lol. Is that your furnace thermostat wire ?
Last edited by dilligafeh on Sep 1st, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
8712 posts
5095 upvotes
ON
MrFrugal1 wrote: Wow, what a mess of plumbing.
Are you connected to municipal water, or are you on a well?
I doubt he'd need a pressure regulator on a well.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4936 posts
768 upvotes
Calgary
As above this is a mess and needs to be rationalized. Not clear why you have sprinklers unless you are running an apartment house? In which case this is abysmal and probably illegal for a commercial establishment. It looks like the sprinklers are at 120psi but I am betting you have never had the system tested or inspected. The main shut off is not the main shutoff since the sprinklers come off the main "before" the main shutoff valve you have marked. Look at the basket strainer direction - flow is left to right. Look at the VRSF alarm - flow is upwards. Looks like your main water line is that screwed line that comes down from above? Then the valve marked water- sprinkler do not touch is likely the main water shutoff valve. Hard to see the piping at the floor level but those short little pieces of PVC/PEX don't look good.

OP you have a disaster waiting to happen. Whoever put all those line in is NOT a plumber - not even a handyman. I am all for DIY but not of this quality.

btw in response to your original post and with respect to all the bidet lovers on this forum and as I said in post #9: that is a pressure regulator - looks like a Watts P60. Obviously because the DIY plumber who ran the high pressure line from the sprinklers to the toilet needed to stop the toilet blowing off the wall...… You cant just take it out when you replace the toilet line. Either run the replaced toilet line off the regulated water line or install a new regulator.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3365 posts
2886 upvotes
Toronto
Cough wrote: I believe the sprinklers he talks about are fire sprinklers not lawn sprinklers. So no need for backflow valve. Probably someone just connected the toilet into that system. The take off for the "bidet" looks like it once may have been a pressure regulator which would make sense if the sprinklers are on full mains pressure?
Was just coming in to say that I thought it was a pressure regulator as well, and for the same reason.

I've seen some funky plumbing from all over North America and can honestly say I've never witnessed something like this.