• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2021 1:58 am
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes

Toilet Tank Leak - please help

Hi everyone,

My toilet tank has a constant leak. The leak is coming out between the blue cap & white pipe (attached image).
Can anyone advise on what parts I need to buy or to replace ?

(I have tried using a screwdriver to tighten/loosen the green marked area, the sound changes but there is still a constant leak.)

Thank you so much!

10 second video & sound of leak:

Attached Image Below:
Images
  • Capture.2.PNG
15 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
The thing you tried to tighten with a screwdriver is the adjustment to control the water level in the tank. Once the float it is attached to rises to a certain point, the valve allowing water into the tank closes.

Is it filling to the overflow which then lets water into the bowl? If it's constantly running, either the tank is over filling and flowing down through that center hole where the white tube connects or the flap at the bottom isn't sealing and it's allowing water to drain into the bowl, lowering the water and the valve opens again.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes
Thank you.

The water leak is constantly running, I've ordered food coloring to do a dye test as well.

I think (?) it is leaking into the bowl.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3522 posts
2518 upvotes
Toronto
If the tank is never filling, then it's leaking through the flap into the bowl.

How old is that toilet? How many gallons/flush? Judging by the corrosion on the lever, it looks pretty darn old. Might be time to just replace it.

Easy fix, but if you're flushing tons of water down the drain, you're wasting time and money fixing that thing.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks Tim, the toilet is 11 years old.

I tried to find the model number on the toilet but can't see it anywhere; searching online by the aesthetics and I think it might be a Kohler. I think I'll try replacing the valve, and then if that doesn't work, I'll replace the whole toilet.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14153 posts
9425 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Try replacing the black rubber valve, only cost 3 bucks.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Apr 29, 2007
686 posts
372 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's a $15 part and a 5 minute DIY job. Just replace it
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15536 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
Yup, it's a fill valve. I ordered the part for my Kohler from Amazon and watched a few youtube videos. It is easy to do as long as you have the correct tools. I had to get a plumber as I didn't have the right size wrench and had other things to take care of (Plumber charged me $50 to replace the valve and some wanted over $160 for labour alone!)

Replacing the valve would take about 30 min and the most are prep work when you need to drain as much water from the tank as possible. I tend to use a turkey baster or something to suck as much out of the tank as possible so when you remove the valve from the tank there is less water coming out. the actual valve replacement takes under 10 min.

A new Kohler toilet is around $600 start.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Apr 16, 2021
16 posts
6 upvotes
Thanks everyone !

I ordered the recommended fill valve from user engineered above & found these video as well:

@hightech Yup just need to find the wrenches and tools & install it as soon as I get the delivery of fill valve.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17159 posts
19066 upvotes
Oakville
AreWeThereyet wrote: Thanks everyone !

I ordered the recommended fill valve from user engineered above & found these video as well:
@hightech Yup just need to find the wrenches and tools & install it as soon as I get the delivery of fill valve.
If it wasn't over tightened, you might be able to take it apart by hand. Most newer valves have plastic nuts that are easy to do by hand. You might need a wrench to loosen the old one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15536 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: If it wasn't over tightened, you might be able to take it apart by hand. Most newer valves have plastic nuts that are easy to do by hand. You might need a wrench to loosen the old one.
Yes, that was what I had to use as my hand was sore for a week trying to open a seized plastic nut.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
15536 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
AreWeThereyet wrote: Thanks everyone !

Just make sure the seal where the valve connects to the tank is nice and tight. The last thing you need is to fill the tank and all the water goes on the floor.

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3456 posts
3094 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: If it wasn't over tightened, you might be able to take it apart by hand. Most newer valves have plastic nuts that are easy to do by hand. You might need a wrench to loosen the old one.
Just to echo what was said above do not overly tighten these parts as they can break, they also do not need to be tightened to much just until snug. I didn't watch the tutorial videos so unsure if they mentioned this.