Home & Garden

Toilet wax ring, regular wax, wax with flange, silicone/rubber?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 4:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12435 posts
2179 upvotes

Toilet wax ring, regular wax, wax with flange, silicone/rubber?

Planning to do this replacement for the first time and it looks straight forward until I search and see all the products at home depot.

Any suggestions on what product to use?
The korkys wax free seal kit looks and sounds great to me but is it a gimmick meant to appeal to a noob like me?
Last edited by slowtyper on Aug 30th, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22549 upvotes
GTA
slowtyper wrote: Planning to do this replacement for the first time and it looks straight forward until I search and see all the products at home depot.

Any suggestions on what product to use?
The korkys wax free seal kit looks and sounds great to me but is it a gimmick meant to appeal to a noob like me?
Wax is tried and trusted, but a silicone/rubber ring is more forgiving to noobs since you don't have to lay it down perfectly the first time and can reposition it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12435 posts
2179 upvotes
engineered wrote: Wax is tried and trusted, but a silicone/rubber ring is more forgiving to noobs since you don't have to lay it down perfectly the first time and can reposition it.
Do you think the rubber one has any downsides to wax besides the cost such as longevity or anything?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25943 posts
10677 upvotes
Socially Distanced
slowtyper wrote: Do you think the rubber one has any downsides to wax besides the cost such as longevity or anything?
It won't seal as good, the wax is insidious, self imprinting and long lived.
The rubber depends on some luck, that contact is tight enough, that there are no unintended gaps or indentations in the porcelain and it also ages (badly).

Get the wax with collar.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12435 posts
2179 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: It won't seal as good, the wax is insidious, self imprinting and long lived.
The rubber depends on some luck, that contact is tight enough, that there are no unintended gaps or indentations in the porcelain and it also ages (badly).

Get the wax with collar.
Good to know. Now one of the YouTube videos I'm watching is from a plumber who says never get the "funnel type wax ring". However I don't understand does that mean the wax with collar or is that a different beast entirely?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25943 posts
10677 upvotes
Socially Distanced
slowtyper wrote: Now one of the YouTube videos I'm watching is from a plumber who says never get the "funnel type wax ring".
You got me. Also i don't take youtube opinions as being gospel.

Frankly the standard wax is all you need but the collar ones are helpful for newbies, it holds the thing in place.
As long as you don't smear the wax all over and end up with not enough where it needs to be you will do fine. A thicker wax ring also gives you more margin for error.

Also two piece toilets weigh a lot less than one piece which makes placement much easier. A second person to guide you to the screw holes and some tape or glue to keep the screws from moving while you lower the toilet is helpful.

Otherwise don't overthink it. And don't drop the toilet, if its too heavy then don't DIY install, the shards are messy and damn sharp.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12435 posts
2179 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: You got me. Also i don't take youtube opinions as being gospel.

Frankly the standard wax is all you need but the collar ones are helpful for newbies, it holds the thing in place.
As long as you don't smear the wax all over and end up with not enough where it needs to be you will do fine. A thicker wax ring also gives you more margin for error.

Also two piece toilets weigh a lot less than one piece which makes placement much easier. A second person to guide you to the screw holes and some tape or glue to keep the screws from moving while you lower the toilet is helpful.

Otherwise don't overthink it. And don't drop the toilet, if its too heavy then don't DIY install, the shards are messy and damn sharp.
Thank you.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
25943 posts
10677 upvotes
Socially Distanced
slowtyper wrote: Thank you.
Your welcome
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19433 posts
22549 upvotes
GTA
Quentin5 wrote: You got me. Also i don't take youtube opinions as being gospel.

Good advice. Another tip is to buy more than one, in case you screw up the first one.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2067 posts
2263 upvotes
Toronto
I find it's always best to buy a couple of wax rings, in case i mis-position the toilet and mess a wax ring up. When i purchase they usually will have two options for the funnel type wax rings, one is a little thicker (depth) wax and that is the one i get as it will fill up the gap tightly in case the space is a bit larger. The wax ring kit includes the hold down bolts make sure they are in the box and someone hasn't taken. You may also wish to get new plastic plastic bolt coverings seeing the old ones might be mis-shapen from being used previously.

The toilet flange bolts do have a indentation i assume to be snapped off with pliers or hacksaw after installation so the cap will snap into place, i however use a multi-ocilating tool to remove the top portion of the bolt as it is much easier and safer to be using around porcelain toilets. I like the long length to install makes life much easier, just that it needs to be trimmed afterwards.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.