Food & Drink

Tomato farm in the GTA

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2011 12:19 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto

Tomato farm in the GTA

I love good tomatoes. The stuff in the grocery stores though only barely cuts it.

I used to make annual pilgrimages to a tomato farm near Jane and Steels, Rocco's tomato farm. An Italian family run farm, they had large tomato fields with the most delicious, juicy, flavourful tomatoes I have every tasted. There was another farm right near them, Rosa and Maria's. Last year was their last season, now the land was sold and there is some kind of construction going on. Sad times.

There's Whittamore's farm on the East end of Toronto, and they have tomatoes among other things, but having tried those, I find them pretty much the same as in the grocery stores. They are not juicy and lack flavour.

There must be other farms around here. Does anyone know of other farms that have tomatoes, and especially the kinds that are significantly different from the store bought stuff? Does anyone know if Rocco's started a farm elsewhere?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9637 posts
882 upvotes
Muskoka
Josling Farms has pick your own tomatoes and other vegs in August every year. It's in Carlisle, though, a trek for you.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
553 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
I have bought beefsteak or Brandywine this year at U of T Scarboro farmers market Wed. 3-7 PM.
The Brandywine and other organic types were $5/lb (good but way overpriced) while the stand in the southwest corner had fine beefsteaks at about $1.50 each.

There are usually good beefsteaks at Pickering Produce across from T. Phat on K.R., and at Stroud's Farm, in Whitby.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
jayt90 wrote: I have bought beefsteak or Brandywine this year at U of T Scarboro farmers market Wed. 3-7 PM.
The Brandywine and other organic types were $5/lb (good but way overpriced) while the stand in the southwest corner had fine beefsteaks at about $1.50 each.

Wow! Such prices can drive a tomatoholic bankrupt! At Rocco's I used to get a huge basket of tomatoes for $5. It must have been 5-7 L in capacity and filled to the top and with a heap!

I always thought their stuff was way too cheap. I wouldn't mind paying considerably more, if only they kept it running. :(
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
I found the new location of the Rocco's farm!

They are now located at 10970 Weston Road, just north of Teston. The tomato season is just starting and should last a while.

The tomatoes are delicious and you get to pick your own if you like - that way they are the freshest.

$7 for a basket about 1.5x bigger than this in size:

[IMG]http://www.scotts.com/smg/en_US/images/ ... basket.jpg[/IMG]

They close as 7pm now.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3334 posts
5305 upvotes
GTA North
greenmoon wrote: I found the new location of the Rocco's farm!

They are now located at 10970 Weston Road, just north of Teston. The tomato season is just starting and should last a while.

The tomatoes are delicious and you get to pick your own if you like - that way they are the freshest.

$7 for a basket about 1.5x bigger than this in size:

[IMG]http://www.scotts.com/smg/en_US/images/ ... basket.jpg[/IMG]

They close as 7pm now.

Thanks for locating them. Dang they are far. :( Just a pinch above Canada's Wonderland.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
thedealhunter2000 wrote: Thanks for locating them. Dang they are far. :( Just a pinch above Canada's Wonderland.

On the bright side they are rather close to the 400 hwy - does not take that long to drive there.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
9821 posts
1298 upvotes
GTA
greenmoon wrote: I found the new location of the Rocco's farm!
Can you tell me how much for a bushel of Roma tomatoes. Might check it out next season for canning. Parents already did theirs this year.
[OP]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 5, 2009
948 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
YLSF wrote: Can you tell me how much for a bushel of Roma tomatoes. Might check it out next season for canning. Parents already did theirs this year.

You can call them up and ask: 905-832-9211.
Member
Oct 3, 2009
271 posts
19 upvotes
Woodbridge Farm market on the east side of Martin Grove just south of hwy 7.

$18/bushel of romas
$20/bushel of San Marzano

I believe there's pick your own tomatos too.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)