Home & Garden

Too cold for Overseeding the lawn with KBG ?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2020 8:15 pm
Tags:
Feb 27, 2017
161 posts
230 upvotes
Winnipeg

Too cold for Overseeding the lawn with KBG ?

Hello....
I have been trying to get my 3 year old sodded lawn back into shape . All my online research led me to believe that early Fall is the best time to overseed cool season lawns. So I waited for fall while I prepped and shopped ( weeds/par3, electric dethatcher, KBG seeds, a whole lot of peat moss, misc rakes and hoses and sprinklers etc). Now it's early fall and the temp here in Winnipeg have plummeted suddenly to single digit evenings. Can I still go ahead with the overseeding plan ? or is it now too cold for KBG seeds to germinate ? I'm a noob to lawncare and any help\advice would me much appreciated.
Thank you

3 replies
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1750 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I'm no expert, but everything I've read talks about soil temps. I recall 10 degrees Celsius as being at the low end for desired soil temp. Based on that I would go for it. (I over seeded about a week ago)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
It depends on soil temperature, not air temperature. Soil is a large thermal mass, so it's temperature changes very slowly compared to the air temperature.

Cool season grasses (like KBG) thrive to germinate and establish in 50-65°F soil temperatures.

Here in southern Ontario, my lawn's soil is still above that. I don't know about in Winnipeg.

Stick a thermometer in your soil and check.
Feb 27, 2017
161 posts
230 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks for the tip guys..I'm off to poke my lawn with my kitchen thermometer Smiling Face With Open Mouth

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)