Cell Phones

Too Little, Too Late for LG...Second Year Promise?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2021 11:59 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge

Too Little, Too Late for LG...Second Year Promise?

I posted it up for sale but got bored, opened the LG Velvet 5G and playing with it.

First impressions, both the Design and the UI has improved especially the software. No comment on the camera, as I never give two shits about it IMO they're the same.

I love the Velvet, I have to say it, feels so good in the hands...ladies you know the procedures. Floss. I love that LG kept the 3.5mm headphone jack. Too bad, I rarely use Google Assistant but give them credit for adding the Dedicated Button.

I'm going to get ripped for this but enjoyed LG's phones more than Google's Pixel which cost significantly less. Love the G3 and G4 was even better but for whatever reason they went backwards even with their V series. I only bought the G7 One as a gift but other than that they didn't get my attention this purchase.

Anyways, just wanted to see where LG stands, I mean they are now even giving you additional year as their "Promise."

Having said all that, I don't know anyone who has an LG phone. LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20252 posts
8321 upvotes
Toronto
I have a bunch of LG tablets from Fido which have performed well. Even the GPad II still works. I got the G4 as a gift for a friend. I would characterize it as a better hand warmer than a phone. I had to get another phone gift the following year to make amends. I got the G7 One for the wife. After 2 years of hard service, it is still doing well. My take is that LG can produce reasonable hardware, but their capabilities on the software side is beyond lacking. They should team up with Google and produce another G7 One equivalent. I would be a buyer if that happens.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2004
1000 posts
224 upvotes
Mississauga
LG is great for only 2 years. No software updates.

Lg G3 boot looped after 2 years.
G4 boot loops once in a while after 2 year.

Have a G7 One, expecting it to die soon. DOB 2018
Phone: Koodo LG G3
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1883 posts
355 upvotes
Alberta
I've been on an LG streak for a long while.
Nexus 4, Nexus 5, LG G5, LG G7.

Nexus 4 and 5 when Nexus still followed the cheap but good strategy.
LG G5 got me hooked on the wide angle camera. G7 was a good quality of life improvement.

I think I had a boot loop on the Nexus 5, but covered under credit card warranty and got money back. No other real issue.

Looks like everyone else is on the wide angle train now, so more options on next phone.
Nov 18, 2019
171 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Had a LG 4 once and got it the boot loop failure after 1 year :(
Jul 22, 2006
353 posts
414 upvotes
Strangely I never thought I was an LG person but having just picked up the Velvet a week ago I am now on my fourth LG phone. I've had the G3, G4, G7 One and now the Velvet. My G3 and G4 never bootlooped and I was impressed by the G7 One because it felt like a premium phone with no software bloat and after 2 years is still going strong, although I have to charge it more often, but that's just a fact of battery life.

That of course begs the question, if my G7 One is working so well, why did I get a Velvet? I wanted a phone with more memory, a larger screen, and something with a new battery, hence the purchase. Plus the effective cost for the phone for me is $103 as I took advantage of the $300 boxing week offer from Costco and only have to pay $15 per month for 24 months to own the phone ($403.20 with tax) and I got to keep my great plan. I thought about getting a Samsung S20FE but couldn't justify paying an extra $400 over what the Velvet cost me.

So there you go, my story of somehow being an LG fan without even knowing it. Thinking Face
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
2114 posts
1362 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I loved the look and feel of my G4 and the camera was amazing but it stopped receiving updates very quickly and the battery life was terrible. Mine never bootlooped but I was worried it would due to all the stories.

My G6 is still my daily driver but it has a small crack on the corner of the screen from dropping it. What do you guys think is a good upgrade to it?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18620 posts
2350 upvotes
Woodbridge
Velvet is a great upgrade.

Like others posted I never had this Bootloop problem. *knock on wood*

LOL

I think it was Floss who said it, if it can handle Asphalt 9 there's no reason not to pick it up. Samsung Galaxy A50 was the only midrange that failed the test.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)