Computers & Electronics

Too many spam calls on landline - How to make it stop?

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2021 10:51 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15696 posts
4074 upvotes
Toronto

Too many spam calls on landline - How to make it stop?

I seem to be getting lots of spam calls about Amazon account hacked, CRA, air duct cleaning, some woman telling me something in Chinese, etc.

Is there a way to get these calls to stop? You'd think with Covid going about, that it would have gone and taken care of these guys but no such luck.

I don't have caller-ID and just a regular Bell landline


Thanks
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks
Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
77 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7173 posts
3337 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Not much. Putting your number on a Do not call list means your number is live and will get even more calls (these are coming from who-knows-where).

Get caller ID though it's easy to spoof numbers. At least you can identify legitimate regular callers. If you identify a number where a lot of these calls are coming from (one of them for us is a toll free services", you can block it.

Some phones may have a device where the caller has to press a number to continue, though this may end up blocking you from receiving, "call back" calls made to customer service lines, etc..
Last edited by thriftshopper on Oct 22nd, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8630 posts
3176 upvotes
Maple
Same here, it has been for years. It’s annoying but I learnt not too take it serious. I look at the display, sometimes hung up when I heard, duct cleaning, scam calls, or Chinese, etc. The phone providers sell the number listings. Not much we can do!

PS. I also get it on my cell. :(
Last edited by teoconca on Oct 22nd, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7173 posts
3337 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
teoconca wrote: Same here, it has been for years. It’s annoying but I learnt not too take it serious. I look at the display, sometimes hung up when I heard, duct cleaning, scam calls, or Chinese, etc. The phone providers sell the number listings. Not much we can do!
Or it's random. Probably will try all the numbers in a block.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8630 posts
3176 upvotes
Maple
thriftshopper wrote: Or it's random. Probably will try all the numbers in a block.
I strongly doubt it’s random.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34407 posts
7943 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Why do you need a landline? Kids? Elderly?

If you want to keep the number, I suggest you port it out to a cell phone. Then just get Pay As You go and keep that at home. It will probably cost less than what Bell is charging you for the land line
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
30130 posts
10899 upvotes
Unplug the phone. Seriously, that's what I do. Only plug it in when I'm making a call, which is like once in a blue moon. I probably shouldn't even have a landline anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3755 posts
2352 upvotes
SW ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Unplug the phone. Seriously, that's what I do. Only plug it in when I'm making a call, which is like once in a blue moon. I probably shouldn't even have a landline anymore.
Nobody calls you?
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3755 posts
2352 upvotes
SW ON
teoconca wrote: I strongly doubt it’s random.
I am sure it's random. Computerized. VOIP. Non-existent numbers are quickly rejected and they move on to the next one.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3755 posts
2352 upvotes
SW ON
OP, get caller ID and don't pick up calls from numbers you don't recognize.
Sr. Member
Dec 6, 2020
635 posts
671 upvotes
Here in the west, Telus offers an anti-robocall screening feature on its landlines.

Ask if any of the (likely VOIP-based) phone providers that serve Ontario offer anything similar.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2399 posts
1623 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@hightech As someone mentioned earlier get a telephone that will enable you to control incoming calls. I purchased this set a few years back, I see it is still available and I have yet to receive any SPAM calls. Additionally the silent ring feature is nice so I do not even receive the ring, however if someone is calling and are prompted through the menu then I do hear the announcement and I am able to answer the call.

https://www.amazon.ca/AT-CL84207-Dect_6 ... B0781TBMBL

EDIT - Something that only advises in the User Manual:

Store up to 50 numbers in your DIR
Store up to 20 Numbers in your allow list
Store up to 10 numbers in your "Star" List
Store up to 1000 numbers in your block list. (We have none stored, as noted above no computer generated calls can come through)

"Star" List - For those companies where you may not know the actual extension calling you, then the call will be screened by the business name that appears, regardless of the number, ie - TD Bank Security.
Last edited by rcmpvet on Oct 23rd, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8389 posts
745 upvotes
Scarborough
If you don't have caller ID display, I don't think any landline set such as Panasonic, call filtering isn't going to work. You can get a Panasonic set for $69.99 from Costco, it does an OK job to filter calls.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 15, 2020
2299 posts
1662 upvotes
the spammers know enough to call at most once a day, and never during the night. Not picking up the call wont make them go away. They will just keep trying another day. You are out of luck. I bet even the PM on his private line gets these calls
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8630 posts
3176 upvotes
Maple
My home phone with Ooma (VOIP based) and cellphones are still getting spam calls, not only landlines are getting spammed. I strongly suspect someone gets the number lists.
Last edited by teoconca on Oct 23rd, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15696 posts
4074 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Why do you need a landline? Kids? Elderly?

If you want to keep the number, I suggest you port it out to a cell phone. Then just get Pay As You go and keep that at home. It will probably cost less than what Bell is charging you for the land line
I need the landline for my alarm system, and my folks who are elderly want this.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks
Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
15696 posts
4074 upvotes
Toronto
rcmpvet wrote: @hightech As someone mentioned earlier get a telephone that will enable you to control incoming calls. I purchased this set a few years back, I see it is still available and I have yet to receive any SPAM calls. Additionally the silent ring feature is nice so I do not even receive the ring, however if someone is calling and are prompted through the menu then I do hear the announcement and I am able to answer the call.

https://www.amazon.ca/AT-CL84207-Dect_6 ... B0781TBMBL

EDIT - Something that only advises in the User Manual:

Store up to 50 numbers in your DIR
Store up to 20 Numbers in your allow list
Store up to 10 numbers in your "Star" List
Store up to 1000 numbers in your block list. (We have none stored, as noted above no computer generated calls can come through)

"Star" List - For those companies where you may not know the actual extension calling you, then the call will be screened by the business name that appears, regardless of the number, ie - TD Bank Security.
That looks like a good phone system as my current Panasonic does not have that functionality. I also don't have Caller ID.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks
Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 6, 2003
1947 posts
307 upvotes
COU
Put a SIT tone at the beginning of your outgoing message. This will tell the spam callers that the line is out of service. Once all the diallers sync up you should see a significant reduction in telemarketing etc calls. Nobody is going to waste time calling a disconnected number. Actual humans will hear your message, albeit with an annoying tone at the beginning.

Unfortunately, this will interfere with legitimate callers that are using a dialler.

Give it a month. After that, just never answer the phone again. Let it go to message. Pick it up if it is something important.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2399 posts
1623 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
hightech wrote: That looks like a good phone system as my current Panasonic does not have that functionality. I also don't have Caller ID.
You would definitely need Caller ID.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23868 posts
19685 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gee wrote: Why do you need a landline? Kids? Elderly?
1. POTS 911 is still much more reliable than cell 911 let alone VoIP E911.
2. POTS works even during power outages. No need for a UPS, etc.
3. POTS is the ultimate in plug-and-play. Even cell is more complex since the battery has to be charged and with a smartphone there's an app to learn, etc. Don't get me started about the complexity of VoIP (but see below.)
If you want to keep the number, I suggest you port it out to a cell phone. Then just get Pay As You go and keep that at home. It will probably cost less than what Bell is charging you for the land line
Porting, whether to a cell number or VoIP doesn't stop the spam calls. Some people have had a POTS numbers for decades, especially the elderly. There are dozens of legitimate people who reach them on that number. Some call frequently, but others perhaps only once a year. It's quite a chore to remember who all those people are and advise them of a new number. Call forwarding the spam-collecting POTS number obviously isn't an option.

@hightech CallerID is essential if you want to keep the number, whether on POTS, cell or VoIP. VoIP is by far the cheapest solution if you can live with the limitations like E911, complex setup, need for UPS, etc.

A compromise may be to get VoIP from a carrier that provides a close-to-turnkey solution and decent customer support. For example TekSavvy's TekTalk costs $15/mon for service that includes caller ID based blocking. That's more than what a "raw" VoIP carrier like voip.ms charges but it's a fraction of bHell's $50/month plus calling features. At one point TekSavvy was reselling bHell POTS at a discount but AFAIK bHell no longer allows them to do so. (FWIW we have a grandfathered line with them that costs under $30/month all-in.)
veni, vidi, Visa

Top